English view of Inverness Caledonian Thistle

EvilHeat

Not sure how we can expect a positive perception down in Englandshire when we are still seen as a backwater & provincial club within our own country based on the central belt media bias and the continual suggestions that having to play Highland teams is a travel and logistical 'inconvenience'.

Let them think what they like, hopefully with the improved performances and media coverage we will get an improved reputation, but lets not forgot many of those who cast judgement may not be in a strong position to do so - glass houses and all that malarky!!!

Dont understand what all the greeting is about. I thought the article was actually a very fair and accurate acount of how well and how far we have come as a club. I took the wicker man thing to be a light hearted joke.

I have no issue with the article itself, just a certain posters interpretation of it.

Quite surprised at the outraged tone of the first few replies to the OP. Stereo-typical chip-on-the-shoulder jocks???

A pretty fair and honest article in my opinion, with a wee bit of humour thrown in. Quite possibly written by the OP.

• Agree 1

Quite surprised at the outraged tone of the first few replies to the OP. Stereo-typical chip-on-the-shoulder jocks???

A pretty fair and honest article in my opinion, with a wee bit of humour thrown in. Quite possibly written by the OP.

Because some of what he/she puts into that article is written to put Inverness folk down. Inverness is nearer Faroes than London. Whats the relevence of that. Newcastle is nearer to Inverness than it is to London as the crow flies. Inverness is the most remote city? How do you interperate 'remote'. To me 'remote' is somewhere very difficult to get to. "Due to its location and the sparseness of the population" What because its location is north east Scotland and not Essex? A small city with a population in excess of 60,000 can hardly be termed sparse. Sparse is the population of Wester Ross or Lochaber even. Cant really describe the city of Inverness as sparse.

The use of certain words and phrases are there to belittle the city of Inverness. Nothing to do with Whisky battlefields and monsters. The attempt is to belittle the city.

• Agree 2

Clearly the majority of readers the article is directed at will see Inverness as remote. I don't really have a problem with that.

Perhaps it's not so much an attempt to belittle the city - more an attempt to put the achievements of the team into perspective.

You can interpret such an article any way you want. I don't think there is any malice at all - maybe just an ignorance of how thin-skinned some Highlanders can be!

Because some of what he/she puts into that article is written to put Inverness folk down. Inverness is nearer Faroes than London. Whats the relevence of that. Newcastle is nearer to Inverness than it is to London as the crow flies. Inverness is the most remote city? How do you interperate 'remote'. To me 'remote' is somewhere very difficult to get to. "Due to its location and the sparseness of the population" What because its location is north east Scotland and not Essex? A small city with a population in excess of 60,000 can hardly be termed sparse. Sparse is the population of Wester Ross or Lochaber even. Cant really describe the city of Inverness as sparse.

The use of certain words and phrases are there to belittle the city of Inverness. Nothing to do with Whisky battlefields and monsters. The attempt is to belittle the city.

That's some chip Alex..................live and let live. It's all in the interpretation.........and the size of the chip.  Are you still upset about Culloden?

That's some chip Alex..................live and let live. It's all in the interpretation.........and the size of the chip.  Are you still upset about Culloden?

No chips on me mate...........as for Culloden, they got what they deserved. Had they not been so stupid as to listen to yon traitor Campbell they'd have continued the march from Derby and taken London. Incidently I'm 3/4 MacDonald 1/4 MacLeod.

• Agree 2

• 1 month later...

I don't know if it is relevent or not

But I am a great fan of Peter Kay the comic from Bolton Lancs

He has a funny line about a Lancastrian abroad who is served Garlic Bread, he says very loudly in his Lancs accent " Garlic Bread " , ( two or three times, )  like he dosn't believe it. the most outrageous thing. he gets lots of laughter.

Anyway my point is at a recent function in Lancashire I was talking to some reletives who live near to Old Trafford and they were telling me of the traffic problems for the 80,000 odd gates they get passing their door. I casually said, I wish we had that problem in Inverness.

The girl looked bemused , and in a very loud Peter Kay  Lancastrian voice went " INVERNESS2, " INVERNESS ", in total disbelief, and amazement , she then said that every week from now on she would check the Calley Thistle result,

• Agree 1

No chips on me mate...........as for Culloden, they got what they deserved. Had they not been so stupid as to listen to yon traitor Campbell they'd have continued the march from Derby and taken London. Incidently I'm 3/4 MacDonald 1/4 MacLeod.

Would life for the ordinary people been any better with an Italian Catholic as monarch, and how long before the prodestant army went in and and a full scale  civil war ensued. Not long I think.

You have to remember that the government in those days was in charge not the sovereign. I have no crystal ball but if the Jackobites had not turned back  I thhink a sorrier mess would have ensued. Not least a French occupying force would have landed. Bon Jour  and all that

• 3 weeks later...

Would life for the ordinary people been any better with an Italian Catholic as monarch, and how long before the prodestant army went in and and a full scale  civil war ensued. Not long I think.

You have to remember that the government in those days was in charge not the sovereign. I have no crystal ball but if the Jackobites had not turned back  I thhink a sorrier mess would have ensued. Not least a French occupying force would have landed. Bon Jour  and all that

You don't deal in history books, do you Willie? Get yourself along to the visitor centre at Culloden battlefield and while away a few hours. Learn something about your new homeland.

You have to remember that the government in those days was in charge not the sovereign

The government was no more in charge than you or I. That mix of Lords, Clergy and Knights that made up the 'government' were all put in place by the monarch that some of their countrymen found the need to invite over from Holland.

. I have no crystal ball but if the Jackobites had not turned back  I thhink a sorrier mess would have ensued. Not least a French occupying force would have landed. Bon Jour  and all that

But the country was happy to court the services of a Dutch occupying force for fifty odd years before Culloden.

The French were allies of the Scots Willie, look at the motto of Aberdeen where many French traders settled. Bon Accord.