Butcher to Barnsley? Terry stays put***

RossP

Whilst I am glad he's staying, I have to say this episode has been unsettling for the club.  Having two days of talks at another club hardly gives his out of contract (or indeed his in contract) players a message of loyalty to them or the club just as we launch into the January transfer window.  Togetherness has been the watchword this year and we need to maintain that if we are going to achieve what our current league position and place in the cups suggests we just might. 

By talking to Barnsley over two days, Terry gave a message to his players that he was seriously thinking of leaving them just when they've come so far.  The players in turn can be excused if they also look to pastures new.  He should have rejected the approach sooner.  To me, the important thing now is that he appears to have undone the damage by committing himself to the end of his contract which means that not only will he be here to the end of this season but to the end of next season as well.  That commitment should be enough to persuade players to sign on for next season to continue the journey.  Let's hope that some contracts will be signed in the next few days.

Think you're being a bit harsh on Terry there. He conducted himself professionally, spoke to them for the right reasons, decided to stay for the right reasons, and set an example to the players that you can turn down a massive pay rise to stay at a club that has something special about it.

Also it was the chairman who gave TB permission to speak to them, could `ve just said no.

I don't dispute he's made the right decision for what appears to be the right and very honourable reasons but he could done that sooner.  Make no mistake about it, he very nearly decided to leave as he made abundantly clear in his interview.  But as I say, he has undone the damage by committing to the end of his contract.  I'm delighted he's staying but disapponted that the way the affair was conducted resulted in a record breaking 21 pages of speculation.

I can think of a young, ambitious, charismatic manager over a certain bridge who encourages a style of free flowing, attacking football, encourages team spirit and unity in the dressing room and has total respect for any opposition he comes across, surely he will be next on their list.  :tongueincheek:

By talking to Barnsley over two days, Terry gave a message to his players that he was seriously thinking of leaving them just when they've come so far.  The players in turn can be excused if they also look to pastures new.  He should have rejected the approach sooner. 

Absolute bo**ocks. He conducted himself like a gentleman. The message he's sent out is that anyone, having been given proper permission by the club, has a right to listen to what potential suitors have to offer. It's no surprise to me that he prefers the Sutors that he can probably see from the upstairs windows than the other kind and good on the man.

If I were a player, this is the sort of manager I'd dream of playing for, someone I'd want to work my guts out for. Someone who shows, and expects loyalty but isn't going to stand in the way of a player's progress if things are done by the book. We're lucky (but deserve) to have him.  I wonder if Rooney's reading this.

• Agree 3

Brilliant news that TB and his management team are staying.  If we could now just get Andrew Shinnie and some of the other important players signed up for next season, then we could have a historic season and build something special for next season.

The only catch is that the better we do then the more likely that TB will attaract the attention of some other clubs.

One thing I hope you are wrong about Caley D is the "possibly not the only time this month" that was enough for me

Not so many fears on that front since the "hands off" notice was included in the official announcement.....

"He met ICT chairman Kenny Cameron and indicated that he was committed to seeing out his contract with the club."

• Agree 2

Wow, things have really moved on since I left work, now at 23 pages and Terry stays just like some of us knew he would. Must be hard though for some of the haters to accept, probably though this was their chance to get Robbo back in charge.

Now lets get behind Terry and the team and get into that cup final!!!

Personally I'm a (very) 'happy clapper' tonight.

• Agree 2

Whilst I am glad he's staying, I have to say this episode has been unsettling for the club.  Having two days of talks at another club hardly gives his out of contract (or indeed his in contract) players a message of loyalty to them or the club just as we launch into the January transfer window.  Togetherness has been the watchword this year and we need to maintain that if we are going to achieve what our current league position and place in the cups suggests we just might. 

By talking to Barnsley over two days, Terry gave a message to his players that he was seriously thinking of leaving them just when they've come so far.  The players in turn can be excused if they also look to pastures new.  He should have rejected the approach sooner.  To me, the important thing now is that he appears to have undone the damage by committing himself to the end of his contract which means that not only will he be here to the end of this season but to the end of next season as well.  That commitment should be enough to persuade players to sign on for next season to continue the journey.  Let's hope that some contracts will be signed in the next few days.

Had he been off talking to a St Johnstone, Aberdeen, Motherwell or something then you might have a point.  However, for me, this has been far from unsettling, the total opposite in fact.

We've just had our Manager get an offer from a club who could offer him many times the salary he could ever get here and a player budget that could fund half the SPL.  I don't know of any Manager who wouldn't have had their head turned by such an offer.

Despite all that he chose ICT!!!

We've just had more publicity than money could buy and the message at the end of it is....ICT don't have much, but they must be something really special if a man like Terry Butcher would rather be there on less money and with a smaller budget.  Terry has just done more in two days to help shake of the "small town backwater" tag that is often applied to us than anything else that has happened in the last 19 years.

The message he has just given the players is exactly the same...."lads, it's ok to look but its not all about the money, there's things to be earned here that money cannot buy".

• Agree 17

By talking to Barnsley over two days, Terry gave a message to his players that he was seriously thinking of leaving them just when they've come so far.  The players in turn can be excused if they also look to pastures new.  He should have rejected the approach sooner. 

Absolute bo**ocks. He conducted himself like a gentleman. The message he's sent out is that anyone, having been given proper permission by the club, has a right to listen to what potential suitors have to offer. It's no surprise to me that he prefers the Sutors that he can probably see from the upstairs windows than the other kind and good on the man.

If I were a player, this is the sort of manager I'd dream of playing for, someone I'd want to work my guts out for. Someone who shows, and expects loyalty but isn't going to stand in the way of a player's progress if things are done by the book. We're lucky (but deserve) to have him.  I wonder if Rooney's reading this.

Apart from the "absolute bo**ocks" bit I don't disagree with what you're saying - but you seem to miss the point.  The point is that he was seriously considering leaving.  I find that disappointing.  But having then made the right decision he has then conducted himself very well indeed in committing himself for another year and a half.  He deserves loyalty in return for that but not as much as if he had not

32,620 views and counting, that must be a 1st surely too.

The last couple of days have been great publicity for ICT and Scottish football.

Im really pleased that  Terry and his team are staying   as for scouting for players,  1st class. 

Terry has shown that its not all about money,  not only has he shown faith in his players but has shown faith in himself and his management team.

I hope that this is a lesson for any players thinking of leaving, go and sign a contract,  have faith in yourself, invest in yourself, your team mates and reap the rewards that you  sow. 

• Agree 1

Great result all round , I would have thought .. The Man who has Caley Thistle 2nd in the table (unbelievable) in the cup semis ,and  a victory at celtic under his belt is staying , and more publicity earned for the Club in English papers , than I have ever seen !

I wouldn't argue much with what Caley D says either.  I think the fact that Terry has decided to stay gives a hugely positive message.  He has given a message loud and clear that there are more important things than just money.  Importantly his decision shows this club up in a very postive light indeed.  But I really don't think you can deny that it has been an unsettling 48 hours and I have to say that the positive message would have been stronger still if he had said "no" a little sooner.  Surely the message about the reasons for him staying would have been stronger if he had said it had been an easy decison rather than a difficult one!

Terry Butcher, what a man. I have to say that I was a little worried but what a man it takes to turn down the money he was supposed to be getting offered. His loyalty has to be rewarded and what better way to do this as fans, by turning up in numbers for the Aberdeen game and giving the man a standing ovation as he walks out the tunnel. Could this or something similar be arranged? A Terry Butcher flag fund would also be a great idea?! Am I right in saying that TB is our first manager to ever turn down a job offer?

I wouldn't argue much with what Caley D says either.  I think the fact that Terry has decided to stay gives a hugely positive message.  He has given a message loud and clear that there are more important things than just money.  Importantly his decision shows this club up in a very postive light indeed.  But I really don't think you can deny that it has been an unsettling 48 hours and I have to say that the positive message would have been stronger still if he had said "no" a little sooner.  Surely the message about the reasons for him staying would have been stronger if he had said it had been an easy decison rather than a difficult one!

Surely the best judge of whether it has been good/bad is the reaction to the decision?  Look around you and your fears will be dispelled.

I am delighted with his decision. To all those who are expressing concern with his honesty, in the interviews, would you rather he he told us lies. Get over yourselves, he has been as honest with us as we could have hoped and more honest then many are with themselves. Good man Terry.

• Agree 2

Rx8by.png  Rx8by.png Rx8by.png

kMsrx.gif

Edited by Guest

I have long held the opinion that Terry holds some things in life more important than money. I believe the pace and way of life up here suits terry down to the ground...and he cherrishes that.

• Agree 2