Ironmongers of Sneck

Glen Mhor

There were a few of these in the town - Gilbert Ross on Academy Street, Mitchells on Hamilton Street (also owned by Gilbert Ross I think), Fraser & McColl on Eastgate in more than one shop there, Campbells on Queensgate and then later came Farm & Household in the old James Ferries garage which used to sell Triumph cars. When Gilbert Ross's shops in Inverness he concentrated his business in his other shop up in Invergordon. Then there was Inverness Tool Distributors (also known as the Saw Service) at the bottom of Church Street which moved down to Harbour Road and became the H.I.S. of today.

Any more to add ?

I can't remember any more - your list is pretty extensive. Old Gilbert Ross (tweed suit and moustache), as I recollect, had been quite a senior officer in the army during the war, possibly a Brigadier even. That Academy St shop was pretty big with quite a few staff in the old brown coats (selling "four candles"!!!)

Mitchell's I always associate with going to BB HQ at Washington Court just along Hamilton St (close to where Marks' front door is now) to assemble for church parades under the orders of Scoobies (Billly Urquhart's father in law).

Fraser and McColl when I was young was owned by Eric MacKay. He also was a big shot in the BBs and used to be Commandant of the Camp at Carrbridge. Can anyone remember if he was the father of Size MacKay who I think was a bit of a lad initially, but eventually became a high powered Edinburgh advocate and was rumoured to be close to the anti merger faction?

Inverness Tool Distributors/ Saw Service was also in an earlier era run by a Mr MacKay -  David MacKay but I think he was bought out by James MacDonald who was a fairly big player in Clach after the 1990 rescue.

H.I.S. is now a pretty big concern and seems to occupy a veritable colony of buildings on that Longman site.

And in a link with the "eateries" thread, Cobbs Cafe in H.I.S. is first class - especially its bacon rolls which are huge. I now have this weekly ritual of popping in there for a bacon roll and a read of the papers on my way through to Dingwall to hear the pre match thoughts of Mr Adams on a Thursday morning!

I can't remember any more - your list is pretty extensive. Old Gilbert Ross (tweed suit and moustache), as I recollect, had been quite a senior officer in the army during the war, possibly a Brigadier even. That Academy St shop was pretty big with quite a few staff in the old brown coats (selling "four candles"!!!)

Gilbert Ross served in Burma and was chairman of the local Burma Star Association which held its annual dinner in the Station Hotel which Lord Louis Mountbatten attended on a number of occasions.

Gilbert Ross served in Burma and was chairman of the local Burma Star Association which held its annual dinner in the Station Hotel which Lord Louis Mountbatten attended on a number of occasions.

Now that's interesting. I wasn't aware of that.

Diggar MacGillivray was a keen member of the Burma Star Association having been in the 14th Army Artillery.

I remember as an Army Cadet doing a guard of honour outside Cummings Hotel  73-75 for the annual Burma Star Association dinner which had a good number of members back then.  It was not till later in life when you hear stories and read about what these men had endured during the war that you appreciate what they did for us.

On a lighter note while working in Lows supermarket in Bridge St when someone new started it was common practice to send them to Gilbert Ross for Rubber Nails, Tartan Paint and Elbow Grease!  On one occasion one boy was sent for a Long Stand, after about 2 hours he came back which was longer than usual but the joke was on the supervisor as he had been round the record shops checking out the latest albums! 

• 1 month later...

There was an Ironmonger in Castle Street in the '50's.  McIntosh I believe. They were situated where the council rent office is (or was?) We used to buy a pound of nails for about threepence which we used to build our club huts, with wood we flogged from McAuley's Joiner's yard in Crown Street every School  summer hols. (I know, wee toerags but we didn't know any better)

Size, Iain McKay's father was Walter (Watty) McKay who had the Highland School of Motoring. They lived in St. Valery Ave. No relation to Bobby McKay.

Bobby once chased the Hollies, who were playing in Elgin but were staying in Inverness for the W/E, with a bunch of guys in his car. They eventually stopped their car and got the craic with the guys. Bobby invited them to his house for a drink. Mega kudos ! They went to the Castle Snack Bar next day and the Inverness kids played it very cool and didn't mob them. I don't know whether they were pleased about that or miffed. 

Talking about bands, it's a wonder there hasn't been a thread about the Caley Ballroom. I'm sure a lot of people did their courting  and probably met their wives or husbands there. Let's hear it!  

• 4 weeks later...

I worked in Mitchells as a message boy after school and on Saturdays from 1966 to 1968. The manager was Archie Macmillan who hailed from Kirkhill area. Stewart Speed was the assistant manager. Mitchells was owned by Gilbert Ross. The store on Academy Street was managed by Gilbert's son David who also pottered about in the Invergordon shop. They lived in a huge house in Culduthel Road called Evelix, now flats. My best mate Billy Webster who now lives in Edinburgh was message boy in Gilbert Ross's shop at the same time I was in Mitchells. Billy who hails from Dingwall is still an avid County fan. Our wages were £2 per week which rose to a wapping £3 a week when we worked full time during school holidays!

Evelix was on Drummond Road on the town side of the road down from the Drummond School. It had a quite fantastic view over the town and a beautifully kept garden. Gilbert Ross had a Rover 3.5 litre car and the numberplate ST 444. What would they be worth today ?

• 3 weeks later...

Quite old thread now but I chanced upon a mention of ironmongers in Inverness on the 'net.

The one in Castle St (20-22) was Alexander MacTavish, formerly MacIntosh and MacTavish.

There was an ironmonger in Bridge St (22) M. MacDonald. I don't remember that one.