A Kenny Shiels Review

Kirishima

Dean Shiels talking about his dad, Killie boss, Kenny Shiels: 

"It's disappointing how he is being treated at the moment but that's the way he is,"  said Shiels.  "He's been portrayed by the media in a certain way that's completely untrue."

His interview with the BBC last Wednesday (just under a minute) doesn't help Deano's case much.  A wee review

02 Jan:   Complains about questions and leaves during a BBC radio interview

01 Jan 2013:  Kenny's New Year wish is for "impartiaility" and SPL to "do away" with 4th officials

29 Dec:  No sympathy for Motherwell as Kilmarnock have "lost more players than any club in the last two years"

14 Dec   Accuses 4th official Andrew Dallas of "outrageous fabrication" regarding 24 Nov

13 Dec:  SFA gives 5 match ban (2 suspended) Kenny Shiels calls it "morally wrong" to BBC'

21 Dec:  States that Kilmarnock have been 2012 best achievers

24 Nov:  Sent to the stands v St Johnstone

09 Nov:  Officially reports Euan Norris for being "sarcastic" after 03 Nov ICT game.   Criticised by referee chief in Daily Record

26 Jun:   States that Kilmarnock will be the worst affected by Gers collapse

19 Jun 2012 :   Complains about unfairness in travelling to Dingwall and Inverness

09 Sep:  Calls Northern Irish manager "not a football man"

12 May 2011:  Says Scotland is worse than Belfast for sectarianism

Edited by Kirishima

• 5 months later...

Looks like Kennie Shiels is offski. Kilmarnock are "reviewing" his position, i.e he's for the chop. In my opinion he's been a blight on the Scottish game, and an embarrassment to Killie. Unfortunately though, that means Killie will be on the up...

• Agree 1

Looks like Kennie Shiels is offski. Kilmarnock are "reviewing" his position, i.e he's for the chop. In my opinion he's been a blight on the Scottish game, and an embarrassment to Killie. Unfortunately though, that means Killie will be on the up...

Ppersonally I find him entertaining! Football needs it characters IMO

• Agree 2

he is amazing without him and Lennon we would have nothing much to laugh at and discuss 

Strachan is entertaining, Holloway is entertaining, but Shiels - the man has an ego the size of Derek Adam's chip, and blinkers that would do a mammoth. He lost me when he started moaning about travelling to Inverness. Good riddance I say.

• Agree 2

Ppersonally I find him entertaining! Football needs it characters IMO

I agree with you, the game needs characters right enough, but you can be one without being a gobshyte like Shiels.

His latest ban for stating Celtic are the puppet masters has not gone down well at Killie. I have no issue with his interviews about matches per se, but the man lied to try to cost some people their jobs. Made for the Daily Record. He is the Jim Traynor of managers.

The majority of comments on the BBC are from Gers fans who have seen him as a prophet. I think he will be off to Ibrox in some capacity.

Bu for me, this was the biscuit...(sorry no tidy text linky)

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/kilmarnock-boss-kenny-shiels-raging-1129786

Edited by Kirishima

The related link on the page above is funny reading too ...
"The wit and wisdom of Kilmarnock boss, Kenny Shiels" : http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/kilmarnock-manager-kenny-shiels-most-1942939

My favourite is: "Celtic make a song and dance about everything, don’t they? Paranoid FC." to which Neil Lennon replied "he’s the David Brent of Scottish football" :lol: :lol:

• Agree 1

I enjoyed him.  But then, I enjoy David Brent.  Nothing worse than a respectable manager, i.e. someone sitting in the dugout not saying boo to a goose.  Let's have some fun instead.  I love it when Lennon kicked that bottle when losing to ICT.  Or when Strachan gets annoyed by a perfectly reasonable question. Or Big Jum McLean socking it to a hack.

I also thought he had some good ideas.  Yeah, on the face of it, he didn't do well this year in the SPL but that doesn't tell the whole story.  He's brought in some youngsters, developed a few good players and won silverware.  And but for injury time, would have been in the top six.  All ifs and buts I know.  There were some good ideas in amongst the bluster though.

I just hope a bigger than life character isn't replaced by a subserviant lapdog.

• Agree 1

Starchief, I get what you're saying, it was like when I first heard Terry Butcher after years of listening to Brewster. But if you compare Terry and Kenny, on the one hand you have a very upbeat, jovial, well mannered, passionate, original orator and then you have Kenny, a bitter, arrogant, deluded, egotistical liar. Standing out from the crowd is one thing, being a complete tool is another thing entirely.

You aren't wrong about his record, he won silverware, and did try to keep a settled, solid squad. And therein lies the rub. He's been given the elbow because of his behavior. PR is important to a club, goodness only knows what he was coming out with in front of sponsors and investors...

• Agree 4

• 2 weeks later...

I've no time for KS' multiple rantings, but it's a bit ironic to say the least that he gets the boot shortly after complaining about the disproportionate influence of one of the axis of evil.