Grammar and education (split from ICT wiki)

martinskye

Hand in hand with this philosophy is the idea that the pupils, (sorry, students) should know what to expect in the exam, so Q1 will be about percentages, instead of being a nasty surprise.

You've obviously been out of this job for a wee while son! :laugh:

The 1984 Newspeak which is integral to the Curriculum for Indolence/ Ignorance/ Excrement now insists that they are called LEARNERS :lol:

Other classic CfE items of Newspeak include "Deep Learning", "Broad General Education" and indeed the term "Curriculum For Excellence" itself which are all straight out of the same stable as the Orwellian "War Is Peace", "Freedom Is Slavery" and "Ignorance Is Strength."

Then you have progressive PC revisionism in which the Backward Class became Remedial became Learning Support became Support For Learning. (Don't ask me how these last two differ from each other!) Meanwhile Classroom Assistants became Learning Support Auxiliaries who have now just become Pupil Support Auxiliaries.

I'm really glad I'm also going to be well out of it when this CfE goes belly up in a few years' time.

Edited by Charles Bannerman

Meanwhile Classroom Assistants became Learning Support Auxiliaries who have now just become Pupil Support Auxiliaries.

Going by their own rules, shouldn't that be Learner's Support Auxiliaries ?

The 1984 Newspeak which is integral to the Curriculum for Indolence/ Ignorance/ Excrement now insists that they are called LEARNERS :lol:

Other classic CfE items of Newspeak include "Deep Learning", "Broad General Education" and indeed the term "Curriculum For Excellence" itself which are all straight out of the same stable as the Orwellian "War Is Peace", "Freedom Is Slavery" and "Ignorance Is Strength."

Then you have progressive PC revisionism in which the Backward Class became Remedial became Learning Support became Support For Learning. (Don't ask me how these last two differ from each other!) Meanwhile Classroom Assistants became Learning Support Auxiliaries who have now just become Pupil Support Auxiliaries.

You smooth talking devil: I really think I should renew my registration when it expires in March

Hand in hand with this philosophy is the idea that the pupils, (sorry, students) should know what to expect in the exam, so Q1 will be about percentages, instead of being a nasty surprise.

I'm really glad I'm also going to be well out of it when this CfE goes belly up in a few years' time.

Ok for you but as I have a son in 3rd year at the moment, who is a guinea pig for CFE, it's really worrying. (Not your fault I know Charles btw).

I also have a son who is dyslexic in p7. He has benefitted so much from the learning support he receives daily. This is IMO a change for the better. When I was in school the remedial pupils were just labelled thick regardless of their issues!

Ok for you but as I have a son in 3rd year at the moment, who is a guinea pig for CFE, it's really worrying. (Not your fault I know Charles btw).

I also have a son who is dyslexic in p7. He has benefitted so much from the learning support he receives daily. This is IMO a change for the better. When I was in school the remedial pupils were just labelled thick regardless of their issues!

OCG... you raise two very valid issues there.

Firstly, I'm sorry to say that I would be just a bit nervous if I had a child in S3 at the moment because there are unfortunate "lose - lose" isssues here.

If it's at a school which has rushed to espouse what they are are calling "Broad General Education" in S3 and are delaying course choice until S4, as Big Brother and the HMI Thought Police demand, then that is a particularly bum deal. There are two problems. Third Year now amounts in many respects to a continuation of Second Year and hence a prolongation of what has always been the weakest stage of comprehensive education. And then when they move into Fourth Year their certificate options are reduced from eight to as few as five subjects - hence the so called Newspeak "BGE" is quite the opposite since it vastly reduces S4 certificate options.This also has massive negative implications for Higher choices in both Fifth and Sixth Year and hence on university options.

On the other hand if the school has done the sensible thing and continued to start "certificate" courses, with choices (which will in later years be forbidden in Highland among others, as I understand it), then your only problem is that your child will be first into courses of which teachers have been given vastly inadequate details far too late. :smile:

And all of that is before you take into account the vast dumbing down, Mickeymousification and trivial methodology which go alongside these other two items of educational Newspeak the "Curriculum For Excellence" and :lol: "Deep Learning".

The parallels between CfE and Orwell's 1984 are actually quite astonishing and if Big Brother is reading this, then he will already be making arrangements for me to spend my last 5 months in the job teaching in Room 101!

The second issue is that of pupil support which is available nowadays compared with earlier decades. That has improved dramatically, as you observe, and most Learning Support teachers just want to get on with the job of helping pupils with needs rather than constantly be reinvented with trendy new titles.

Edited by Charles Bannerman
  • Agree 1

i dinnae ken whit ah the bathers aboot,eh left skail at 16 and never hud any problem expressin masell and comunicating wi abod'y fae paupers to prince's.Some fowk look for a misplaced apostrophe or missed out comma but shairly the general gist can be grasped beh the reader and only someone no really wantin to ken whit yer oan aboot gets it affy wrong.Thankfully meh bairn leaves skail this year before this nonsensical curriculum for mayhem kicks in, eh kinda get the feeling cheenge for cheenges sake is the order of the day,wi dafties wanting numbers and statistics regardless of the lack of substance and real learning or understanding.Anyways, ehm aff noo as meh Latin for beginners class starts in fehv meenits.

• Agree 4

• 2 weeks later...