Scotty

Poor choice for final pen, too much pressure on young shoulders. Lost it before then as we didn't do enough in normal time & missed a sitter in extra time. Only positive is I won't have to fork out $$$ coming home.

EXACTLY what i thought. Especially since he had dropped off the scene the past few months.

What was the reason they gave on BBC about Raven not being allowed unless it was 10v10? Never really understood it.

No real reason given other than saying it was because it was 10-v-10 when it came to pens, so assume ICT had to nominate someone to sit out as well as the 5 pen takers.

What was the reason they gave on BBC about Raven not being allowed unless it was 10v10? Never really understood it.

that was the reason they gave, strange it wasnt the keeper being picked to not take one, the keepers are busy enough on pens to not have to worry about scoring one too

Ahh, but they worded it as Raven "not being able to take part" not him not being able to take a kick ... if we named Reguero, could he still have "taken part" in goals .....

There's a rule that says if one team has a player sent off the other team has to choose one who's out for the penalty shoot-out. The reason is without this rule that in case of a tie after 10 rounds the team with the dismissal could send someone who has scored before while the other team has to send its probably weakest penalty taker which would be an unfair advantage in the eyes of the FIFA rule comittee. I guess it applies as well if a team is reduced to 10 men through injury. The keeper can't be chosen as he automatically takes part when the other team tries.

Edited by Rainbow
  • Agree 1

No real reason given other than saying it was because it was 10-v-10 when it came to pens, so assume ICT had to nominate someone to sit out as well as the 5 pen takers.

So they could have selected Dave the Rave and left out Rastamouse? Would have made more sense.

Roberts looked devoid of any confidence when he came on as a sub, why was he chosen to take a penalty?

Putting Roberts on for Doran was fairly understandable, but turned out to be pretty disasterous. It just wasn't his day and most things he tried failed to come off. He dangerously and needlessly gave away possession several times. What's the opposite of the Midas touch? A lot of our fans groaned when they saw him walk up for the last penalty, and what happened next wasn't really a surprise. He didn't just miss by a little bit.

However, to be fair to the lad, he didn't hide, at any point in the game. He was all over the pitch, picked out a couple of good passes and he was trying very hard. He's a talented but inconsistent player and today just wasn't his day.

• Agree 1

I'm not shedding any tears that we aren't in the final, I'm just disappointed that we didn't play anywhere near our best, and didn't take the big chances we had to win it.

Some might say that we were against 10 men and we blew it, but in reality the red card just gave us a chance, at a time when Hearts were very much in the ascendancy.

Terry you are a legend as far as I am concerned, as I am a bluenose since 1947. In the last two weeks you have made the smartest and dumbest decisions of your managerial career. Philip Roberts may be a good prospect, but at 18 years is not experienced enough to take what was the most important penalty in the clubs history. Furthermore he gives away possession too often, to come on as a sub, unless of course we are ahead. Surely there were more experienced players to take the important fifth penalty.

Edited by redandblack