ICT v Celtic Match thread

i had a problem with doran today. every time he was challenged he would either go to ground or stop and put his hands up and moan to referee for a foul. he has been at this for some time and i think referees are hacked off with him.

couple of times today he would go past someone, he is tugged or touched he stops and puts his arms up.

referees have sussed him out and are not giving him decisions he should be getting because of it.

needs to learn the basic rule in football, play to the whistle.

also needs to believe in his own ability. 2nd half he was quite good and hit the byeline a couple of times. he needs to do this more often instead of going sideways or turning back.

we miss the direct running of a certain j hayes, something i hoped doran would replace this season.

Surprised you say that as I thought Doran was terrific today.  Shattered at the end but he plays like a winger, trying to get the ball down and into the corner for a cross.  Hayes is much more direct, which is probably why we were more long ball last year.

• Agree 1

It's always going to be hard to play against 12 men.  I thought Craig Thomson's performance was flabbergasting; it was like different rules for each team.  Their defenders were all over McKay and Shinnie without punishment, yet Celtic players were awarded fouls whenever one of our guys so much as breathed on them.  From the moment Doran got blatantly tugged back on a counter-attack and he wouldn't even give a free-kick, let alone a yellow card, I knew there was no hope for us today.  He was five yards away from Fraser's blatant handball and refused to give the penalty, and 90 seconds later Celtic scored.  His decision to stop play for a Kayal 'injury' when we had an attack on was nothing short of scandalous - he signalled to everyone that there was a head knock, yet Kayal got up instantly when play stopped and had a knock to his thigh.  In most countries, people like Thomson aren't even trusted to hold a pair of scissors - in Scotland we make them referees.

I didn't think it was a poor performance from us today at all.  Draper and Doran particularly stood out for me with excellent shifts, and our full backs both played very well.  I don't know why Esson got the nod over Reguero; he looked a bit uncertain at times though I don't think he was at blame for any of the goals.  The only big disappointment was Celtic's second, where we switched off after a corner was initially cleared and Gershon was virtually unchallenged as he headed home.  I don't think it's unreasonable to claim that we have played well enough in the last four games to take something from each, and I just hope the players keep their heads held high because we will win plenty of games when we are playing as well as that.

Exactly

• Agree 1

I thought we were decent today. Every team hits a bad patch and we're hitting ours without playing badly. Wednesday is a huge game which could define the reast of the season. Would love to have another other local derby with the 'dwellers' after the split

Yes we probably started with our best fit X1 - we did play some nice stuff at times but not in the final third. This isnt a feckin bad patch its a sodden feckin bog and we need to get ourselves out of before it turns into quicksand. Two biggest games of the season coming up and I would take a jammy 1-0 in both of them. The dwellers are on a run wholly opposite to us and the only way I want to go to their water sodden bog is in a Top feckin Six match.

Before KO today was always going to be bonus points if any, I thought the team put in a good shift today, its a pity luck wasnt with us as we certainly had loads of chances in the box.  Bring on the Killy,  we haven't been beaten at home during an evening ko all season.

If we were playing the proper Cellic then i would agree but when I saw their team and saw how we attacked in the first 15 I though that there were three points a begging. Again I thought all the players did put in a good shift although A.Shinnie looked like he wasnt 100% - I must have been watching another game as I never saw loads of chances. Good point about Kille though and lets hope our luck doesnt change in the cold Highland skies.

Still second in the league (just), and every chance of staying in the top 6 before the split. I do worry about the ability to adapt tactics during games and pointless late subs. Still confident we can finish well.

Yes and that is becos everybody is taking points of each other BUT if we get a grip then we - at the moment are still in pole position. I wish that I had your degree of confidence.

I think the game was a bit closer than the 3-1 suggests and it was encouraging to see, even against Celtic, that the team are very keen to keep the ball on the deck and get it forward, particularly from Jones who was a cut above the rest.  Another case though of ICT failing to take their chances, particularly the two golden ones in the second half.

Thought as well, that as the game went on, it was calling for Conor Pepper to come on and run at them, as well as giving ICT a bit of a bounce.  Philip Roberts was the wrong option.

All in all, a disappointing result, but a generally encouraging display. 

I actually thought that 3-1 was a fair reflection overall and it would not have surprised me if the had got a fourth or even a fifth. We certainly are playing the ball on the deck but we are mainly going sideways. Some of the balls to McKay today were of the "hospital" variety. Jones struts and does his job but only when paired with Draper. To me getting Draper forward is what we have been missing. Did we not play the back four and the midfield duo too deep yesterday ? I would have termed it as a disappointing display.

It's always going to be hard to play against 12 men.  I thought Craig Thomson's performance was flabbergasting; it was like different rules for each team.  Their defenders were all over McKay and Shinnie without punishment, yet Celtic players were awarded fouls whenever one of our guys so much as breathed on them.  From the moment Doran got blatantly tugged back on a counter-attack and he wouldn't even give a free-kick, let alone a yellow card, I knew there was no hope for us today.  He was five yards away from Fraser's blatant handball and refused to give the penalty, and 90 seconds later Celtic scored.  His decision to stop play for a Kayal 'injury' when we had an attack on was nothing short of scandalous - he signalled to everyone that there was a head knock, yet Kayal got up instantly when play stopped and had a knock to his thigh.  In most countries, people like Thomson aren't even trusted to hold a pair of scissors - in Scotland we make them referees.

I didn't think it was a poor performance from us today at all.  Draper and Doran particularly stood out for me with excellent shifts, and our full backs both played very well.  I don't know why Esson got the nod over Reguero; he looked a bit uncertain at times though I don't think he was at blame for any of the goals.  The only big disappointment was Celtic's second, where we switched off after a corner was initially cleared and Gershon was virtually unchallenged as he headed home.  I don't think it's unreasonable to claim that we have played well enough in the last four games to take something from each, and I just hope the players keep their heads held high because we will win plenty of games when we are playing as well as that.

I think that if ya watch the game on the box ya will change yer mind about some of the refereeing decisions. Thomsons was "bad" fer both sides. Is anyone surprised about the Kayal situation - that is conning the ref not the ref's fault. I would actually agree that there wasnt actually a poor performance today. I thought that all the back four plus Draper and OTJ passed muster. I thought Doran was MOM and Nicky Ross played well but faded. Shinnie was too deep also fer me and I doubt that he was 100% fit. McKay worked his socks off as well. Their first goal was a great move although if we had "marked" Commons he would not have had acres of space BUT no keepr was going to stop that blast. The second goal came about after some individual trickery and a power header that left Esson no chance. OK the criticism is that we should have blocked the advancing defender who had a 10 metre clear run at the ball. The third came when we were pressing fer an equaliser and were caught 1 on 1 at the back and Meekings made a big central defence boo-boo by attacking the ball instead of holding the middle ground.

I dont think that Esson was particularly "uncertain" - I think its is the watching fans who pesently feel uncertain about both Esson and Reguero. Again I dont think that we ahve played badly in the last four games. Sure there have been some below par individual performances and some individual mistakes but that is oar fer the course.

So what has gone wrong and how can we change it ?  Could it be anything to do with feckin tactics ?

Ok, time to calm doon a wee bit. Just as we shouldn't have gone ott when we were winning or drawing most games, we shouldn't get too stressed when we hit our bad patch. I don't think the defeats lately were down to tactics but individual errors. I hear Terry and Mo shouting at players every week to do the basics and this causes us to lose goals at times but that's nothing new. Our squad is at a certain level (bottom 4) but our first 11 are a potential top 6 team. How you can change things depends on the players you have available.

Let's enjoy the ride guys, think back to 3 games in this season and what you would have been happy with and be realistic in your expectations. Finishing top 8 would be incredible given our squad. I am loving this season and although we have 9 games to go others have less. No Celtic to play, no cups to play in we can do it but, quite frankly, would be an over achievement if we did so.

• Agree 1

Ok, time to calm doon a wee bit. Just as we shouldn't have gone ott when we were winning or drawing most games, we shouldn't get too stressed when we hit our bad patch. I don't think the defeats lately were down to tactics but individual errors. I hear Terry and Mo shouting at players every week to do the basics and this causes us to lose goals at times but that's nothing new. Our squad is at a certain level (bottom 4) but our first 11 are a potential top 6 team. How you can change things depends on the players you have available.

Let's enjoy the ride guys, think back to 3 games in this season and what you would have been happy with and be realistic in your expectations. Finishing top 8 would be incredible given our squad. I am loving this season and although we have 9 games to go others have less. No Celtic to play, no cups to play in we can do it but, quite frankly, would be an over achievement if we did so.

I agree with a lot of that. I am concerned rather than stressed and I am merely trying to point out how to get the HMS Sneck out of the stormy waters and en route to the Island Top Six. Most goals in any games are usuaully associated with individual glitches. You can change things irrespective of the players as long as you have summat other than Plan A.

I have enjoyed this season too but I fell that we blew a real chance of a Cup Final - given where we are now anything other than Top Six will be a disappointment. By the way I hope to feck that we do play Cellic again. And I will be there on the 16th and the 23rd.

I know it is a bit frustrating and for what it's worth Roberts wasn't the right sub yesterday and his style of play and lack of confidence doesn't suit us. I agree we don't seem to have a plan b. My main problem with the team though which could easily be resolved (other than lack of depth)is that two of our best players, draper and two doors Jones leave our defence too exposed and play very square and high making it easy to by-pass them at times.

Anyway, fingers crossed for the next few games that we score more than the other team and the fact we are playing quite well gives me hope, especially compared to the shoite we had to endure at times last year (due largely to injuries).

Just checked the highlights on BBC, maybe its just me or just that it was Celtic but i thought that our defence was pretty poor yesterday, Warren had what looks like a panic attack when he got the ball as he semed too keen to punt it out of touch, Raven was caught ball watching for Commons goal, they should have sorted out if was him or Doran but they should have someone stick to him whenever we lost possession, giving Commons a chance like that was criminal.

Raven also got himself into some good space on the right but the final ball was mostly poor, Mind you A Shinnie was guilty as well.

Maybe we had our hopes raised by the 2nd string Celtic team but they were still too good for us, Just get ready for pumping Killie on wednesday please ICT.

I watched the highlights and was impressed by  the build up play and finishing for Celtics goals.

However over 90 mins I thought we defended well, made some high earning players look pretty mediocre, if we had taken our chances earlier on  Celtic would have collapsed, when we were behind I still believed we could equalize and at the 3-1 the boys didnt give up.

I then watched our next opponents highlights, which gives me hope for our next 2 fixtures

A good effort spoiled by Craig Thomson, plus Septic got lucky.

Terry, please stop sending on Roberts like it is the last throw of the dice because he is just not up to it. Pepper and even Sutherland should be ahead of him in the pecking order.

• Agree 1

Interesting to read the comments about a lack of a Plan B. Obviously there's benefits to having a settled team, but there are times when they've become so settled that opposition will know exactly what the team will be, who will play and how to play against them.

In the season in the First Division, ICT would often start 4-2-3-1 and would change to a 3-4-3 if they were chasing a game. Sometimes it worked and sometimes it didn't, but the intent was there and it was certainly better than doing nothing (I seem to recollect this being the case in the 4-3 win over Raith where Foran scored a last minute bycycled kicked winner and it was also a system Charlie Christie used from time to time when needing a goal). Something like this needs to be done again.

The same type of thing can be said for substitutions. There was a time earlier in the season where Sutherland came on as the first substitute as a winger on about the 80th minute and did so for about seven weeks running. Team's are obviously going to cotton onto this and will react accordingly. Philip Roberts now seems to have taken that first substitution mantle.  We never seem to be a team who springs a tactical or substitutional surprise. The last four games, ICT to me have been calling out for Conor Pepper to come on as an impact player with pace and enthusiasm to run at the opposition and give the team a bounce. Philip Roberts is never going to be a man to change a game.  There's been many times, we've needed a player like Pepper to come on and get at the opposition, giving 100%.  Roberts seldom seems to give more than ten.

Edited by Renegade

Manfer--thanks for including the highlights!. For some eason I can rarely seem to find them on U Tube now, witghin a reasonable space of time after the end of the match.

Based on these highlights alone this match was winnable. Why is going to the byeline  now either impossible or not seen as an option for this ICT team? Up against a capable defence like that of Celtic is it such a bad option?

I was surprised by the BBC highlights, seemed somewhat biased to Celtic, perhaps thats an indication that although we had a lot of 2nd half play we never actually threatened the goal. The ommision of the penalty incident at 2-1 seemed odd,they discussed trival non-penalty incidents in other games, but not in ours where McKay/Doran (cant rcall which now) was pulled down infront of goal - Personally I would have thought it was worthy of a 2nd look.

The highlights make the game look highly one sided, however on balance of play I dont think Celtic were as dominat as portrayed.

There was a good ICT chances as well in the second half that was never shown, nor was McKay's shot before Nick Ross's goal.  Going by the highlights, which also should a couple of Celtic's half-chances, it looks like it was one-way traffic for ninety minutes when it wasn't at all.

Let us not forget that the vast majority of Celtic's starting line up have represented their country so this was not a team of untalented footballers. ICT were unlucky that they didn't get the break when they were 1-2 down. Not a bad performance in the least and on another day we would have at least got a share of the points 

• Agree 2

Yes they were the reserves and yes hit the woodwork a couple of times too, but there was an awful lot of international standard talent on show, and the wage bill for that XI would still be many times that of our team. 

We would probably have got a better result against their strongest team playing half-heartedly with the CL game in mind.

In all honesty Celtics reserves strolled to an easy victory , the only surprise to me was that they only scored 3 !

And some of those reserves command more in wages in a week than our entire first team does combined for the same period.

Edited by RiG
  • Agree 2

In all honesty Celtics reserves strolled to an easy victory , the only surprise to me was that they only scored 3 !

And some of those reserves command more in wages in a week than our entire first team does combined for the same period.

I make more in a week than any ICT player , doesn't make me an SPL footballer though !

Its not always about wages though, more to do with attitude and tactics, we have beaten Celtics strongest teams before, the players were obviously out to show what they could do for Celtic and fight for places in the champs league squad.

Anyway the league was won before saturday, we need to get on with out own little league.

I make more in a week than any ICT player , doesn't make me an SPL footballer though !

Not an SPL footballer, paid more than any ICT player, are you Ian Black?

• Agree 4

Manfer--thanks for including the highlights!. For some eason I can rarely seem to find them on U Tube now, witghin a reasonable space of time after the end of the match.

Based on these highlights alone this match was winnable. Why is going to the byeline  now either impossible or not seen as an option for this ICT team? Up against a capable defence like that of Celtic is it such a bad option?

Nowt like an old fashioned tanner ba right winger or left winger !!  That is what Doran was starting to do down the right and he was scaring them and then he gets moved to the left and it didnt happen. That is also why I feel that putting on peeper would have given us width and pace and options to attack defenders and hitting the byeline. Then you have penalty box players like McKay in their element and foragers like Draper and Shinnie in with a shout to boot.