Inverness Royal Academy of Olde

More great photties

image.jpg

​That's part of a quite well known set of photos taken shortly after the 1913 extension was opened - to FPs, that's the bit back from the boys' door, including the boys' gym and science room downstairs and music, art and biology upstairs.

the "Higher Drawing Room" is, I think, what used to be the end Art room (R28 by the numbering of the late 60s and 70s). The large art room is, I think, 26 and 27 with no dividing wall. The corridor is the top corridor outside these rooms.

Although there are girls in the gym, this is what we would call the "boys' gym". At this time this was the school's only gym. What became the girls' gym was in a wing which was only added in 1926 and only after it ceased to be the Primary Department assembly hall around 1960. The bottom left photo is Room 18 (Hairy Hugh's room to some of us). The bottom right photo is of Room 17 next door.

At that time, some of the space in the Academy was shared with the High School which was based in what's now the Crown School. You will note that the captions refer to one of the Science rooms being used by the Academy and the other by the High School.

However that is also fairly evident anyway, given how much more intelligent and articulate the children in the bottom right photo look compared with the bottom left. (Smiley required - still can't do them on this new site!)

Yet another school to rival the Caddy ?

image.jpg

Well plenty of evidence there that this particular institution, housed in what older Invernessians now know as The County Buildings on the corner of Ardross St and Glenurquhart Rd, was a refuge for the local nobs. The college closed at some point before the end of WW1 and in the early 20s was acquired by the IRA War Memorial Fund as a War Memorial Girls' Hostel. A swap deal in the 1930s saw that hostel move to Hedgefield in Culduthel Rd and the County Council too over the Ardross St premises.

• Agree 1

• 2 weeks later...

Interesting ?

image.jpg

As the Primary department was phased out during the late 50s, its classrooms were progressively converted into the Home Economics (aka Domestic Science or "cookeen") room, a ladies' staff room, a girl prefects' room and a changing room for what became the girls' gym, which had previously been the Primary assembly hall.

I can only remember drinking down the lanes

image.jpg

Yup, for us some Strongbow out of Alexander Frasers in Tomnahurich St to be consumed up the lane behind Serafini's chipper and then up the Raining Stairs to the school for the dance. Hell of a hangover the next day. In the years before the school moved out of the town centre and the dances were held in the Northern Meeting Rooms, the Gelluns just round the corner must have done a roaring trade!

Interesting to note that the former Inverness College claims to have prepared the budding scholars for the "Scotch Leaving Certificate". 

Did you get one IHE?:lol:

The term "Scotch" seems to have been used quite widely as an adjective around that time before "Scottish" became more common. For instance 100 odd years ago, these Leaving Certificates were issued by the "Scotch Education Department" which was based at Dover House in Whitehall. Dover House is still there on the Downing Street side of Whitehall, not too far from the Cenotaph and I believe it still accommodates such administrative staff for Scotland as still, post devolution, exist in London in what I think is now called The Scotland Office.

I was talking to three of my female neighbours today about an issue with our Municipality. They were all in their fifities and one said something about me being Scotch and all. I felt obliged to opine that Scotch was whusky to generate a laugh. And they duly obliged.

It's a funny old world isn't it ?:wink:

Thank GAWD we can actually have the craic in this world that we live in !!

to be demolished ?

image.jpg

That's known as the Millennium Mural, designed by a pupil of the era and placed on the external wall on the way into the school. When the building is demolished, probably next year, I would guess that this would be transferred to the new one.

• 4 weeks later...

Was reading something there that the IRA was originally funded by money from the slave trade.

Surely this can't be true of this most august and spiffing institution?!

If true, would almost eclipse the shame of having had CB as a student/teacher.:blush:

Gosh Dougie, it's taken you a while to tumble to that quite well known fact but never mind, we can just add local history to your "could do better" list. Funny though.....  this extreme chippiness isn't something I see much of among my several friends who are alumni of The Tecky, but on the other hand yours probably originates instead as second nature from your politics?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...