ICT End of Season Ball

CaleyD

Cheers. Just wondering how this would pan out if we're away in a crucial match in the battle for 2nd place.

Panic!!!

Tad annoying. Means that it'll be likely that people will have to miss the game unless its away to county..

Good to see this happening again. I suppose it is an annual lottery to choose a Saturday which fits in with fixtures. But never mind... it could be and has been worse - in 2009 the end of season ball was on the evening of Falkirk at home which saw ICT relegated!

I am sure this one will go as well as previous ones, even the 2009 function which was pretty good despite the general depression!

I have to say as a matter of personal preference, I always find after dinner speakers at various functions a massive turn off. OK they do often raise laughter, but usually vastly inflated by the consumption of alcohol. Far too many of them also depend far too heavily on use of the "f word" in their attempts to achieve impact - to the extent that it becomes tedious. And even in the aftermath of a modest consumption of alcohol, it is perfectly possible to wake up in the morning struggling to remember what was said, or any of the "jokes".

Quite frankly I would prefer to use any hiatus between eating and dancing to speak to and have a drink with other members of the company who were not at my table. At the Caledonian Stadium that is also a much cheaper option than at the Drumossie where the eyewatering drink prices are a rip off second only to the cost of taking part in running events organised by a certain local company!

For what guest speakers cost, I really don't think they come close to value for money in terms of what they contribute to the evening.

Edited by Charles Bannerman

I've been to numerous functions over the years and seen/heard all sorts of after dinner speakers.  I tend to agree with Charles that in the main they are expensive and poor value for money, adding very little to the enjoyment of the evening.  I can think of only 2 exceptions. We had Alex Hay (the old golf commentator) at our annual golf club do about 20 years ago.  He was absolutely brilliant with all his anecdotes acquired in his long, and at that time, still flourishing career.  Even before that we had Tom O Connor (the commedian) at a 'mens' dinner.  He had us all in stitches for the best part of an hour without one blue joke or 'f' word. So all credit to these two who were certainly the exception to the rule in my experience.

was listening to wednesday sportsound on the radio last week.

they have an item for the last 5-10 minutes where an ex player compiles a football eleven of the best players he has played with.

that night it was jimmy nichol ex man u , rangers etc. no 2 at killie.

his story re getting zico's shirt after NI played brazil in world cup, hillarious could have listened to him all night.

by the way his team centre half was one tel butcher

was listening to wednesday sportsound on the radio last week.

they have an item for the last 5-10 minutes where an ex player compiles a football eleven of the best players he has played with.

that night it was jimmy nichol ex man u , rangers etc. no 2 at killie.

his story re getting zico's shirt after NI played brazil in world cup, hillarious could have listened to him all night.

by the way his team centre half was one tel butcher

if i remember rightly Jimmy Nicol spoke at on of the do's before - might have been Barry's testimonial and was absolutely hilarious.

another one i could listen to again was Willie Young.  he spoke at a Chest Heart and Stroke golf fundraiser at the drummossie a few years ago.  John Robertson spoke first i think, and then Willie Young.  Willie was actually sitting at our table and he was great!  Brilliant night (£25 per head!).

#theinvernessbranchofthewillieyoungfanclub!

• 2 weeks later...

Sadly, the days of paying after dinner speakers/entertainment a few quid and covering their bar tab are long gone.....especially if you want someone decent.

At £25 per head, you'd be struggling to cover the cost of a (decent) after dinner speaker these days, let alone get a 3 course meal thrown in.