The Late Margaret Thatcher

Kingsmills

I watched this on youtube at the weekend and found it very interesting. Did you know that one bombing run using a cold war nuclear bomber which was destined for the scrap heap and that it had to be refuelled several times on it's way, paved the way for the task force to expel the Argentinians?

I'm afraid you have been taken in by some crab propaganda. The Vulcan assault was a minor irritation to the Argentinians and was quickly dealt with. It had little actual bearing on the conduct or outcome of the war.

The RAF is well aware that this conflict was won by the combined efforts of the Navy and Army and now that 25 years have passed they are using this one very expensive and ultimately inconsequential action as a sad attempt to make themselves look relevant. They were (and should remain) embarrassed that the most memorable conflict since WWII involving ONLY UK forces against a belligerent enemy attacking British soil was beyond their effective capability.

Silly me, I though the fact that the Argie's Mirage fighters couldn't use the runway to land saved a lot of British service personnel's lives (Naval and Marines). The Mirage squadrans were withdrawn following the bombing of the runway, short runways are okay for take off but not for landing. This is why I said "paved the way", the Argentines were shocked that the Air Force could reach them from the UK.

As an Ex "crab" who was there at the time, i was gonna let FoolPhysio's wee dig slip by, as by and large he is correct in that the Army and Navy were by far the greatest contributors to the outcome, that was the nature of the conflict. Also, the actual cost to result ratio of the Black Buck projects were pretty unjustifiable in hindsight (great thing), there may even have been some truth that the RAF were trying to justify their existence to prevent further cuts.That said, it was a fantastic logistical operation and whilst not causing huge damage, it set them back far enough as you say,so fighters went back to the mainland and gave them food for thought as to what we were actually capable of. There were also a squadron of Harriers which the Navy glossed over and took credit for all Harrier sorties as they were flying from the Hermes, and the Chinooks,Bravo November from 18 squadron,as the sole survivor from the Atlantic Conveyor, was flying virtually round the clock  ferrying troops and supplies until back up from 7 squadron arrived. 

Decent Wiki appraisal of it here.......  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Black_Buck

• Agree 2

As someone who stood on the picket lines in 84 in South Wales, my father/grandfather were miners, all I can say is I've been waiting for this event for many years. And yes, I did have a few beers to celebrate. And yes, I will be having a few more next Weds when they finally get shot of the old witch.

All this historical revisionism about her 'achievements' is nauseating. This is the same woman who called hard working folk 'the enemy within', the same folk who stood up and defended their communities. The same woman who sat and drank tea with Pinochet, called Mandela a terrorist, supported Saddam's regime, gloated over the deaths of IRA prisoners, supported the US's funding of terrorist organisations in Central America...hmmm, such a strong woman though!

There'll be few tears in South Wales, and yep, a lot of celebrating. People will never forget her personal hatred, and personal destruction of our communities.

• Agree 5