tesco customer service

Feb82000

hi all what do you think off the tesco costomer service till operators in tescos Tomnahurich Street most off them are ok but some are so rude they need told off bye there bosses one i saw today needs a good telling off

Don't think this is confined to just Tomnahurich Street!

At what point did it become acceptable for till operators to sit chewing gum with their mouths open as they scan things through.

Having worked for Willie Low many moons ago, it is amazing to see what Tesco find acceptable in terms of customer service. blocking isles and chatting and swearing with your mates when they come in!

In edinburgh, one tesco i went to, it felt as though you were intruding, in the way, and in danger of getting mugged, except for the migrant workers, they were nice! Mind you, the way customers treat supermarket workers is also an issue (not related to the OP's experience I'm sure)

I used to work in a supermarket, and had a real eye-opening experience. Drunks threatening you, people having a go for any number of reasons outwith a mere shop assistant's control, people complaining as you re-stock the shelves. Once i had someone ram my re- stock trolley, which also hit me, and bottles on it smashed to the floor, a cascade of red wine. "this place is a joke" he said as he whelled off...It seems as though supermarket workers are "fair game".

Back to the OP's post, it is hard for supermarkets to attract/keep motivated, conscientious, sunny, professional workers as it is a minimum wage job, the closest to groundhog day you'll ever get, and the best place to see the worst in people.

I'd put all tills automated and keep shelf stacking to when it's closed, or off-peak times.

I find in life you get treated the way you deserve to be ie. behave like an A-hole expect to be treated like one .

Agree 100% with that, thing that gets my goat is when you dont get so much as a grunt out of the shop assistant, happens mostly if there are a couple together for what ever reason engaged in conversation!!

How long do you spend in a supermarket generally, for a few days shop. 10, 20 mins?

How is your general manner and mood and inner being during that time?

imagine being there all the time! It's not a bad job, I enjoyed it, but I knew that almost every customer didn't want to be there. That made it tough.

Jeezo you sound like that seething man over the bridge who is in charge of that miniscule team of gypsies northstand! Put yourself in the workers position! You are there 1hour max while they are there about 6-8

• 3 weeks later...

Put yourself in the workers position! You are there 1hour max while they are there about 6-8

Yes but customers, unlike the staff, don't get paid to turn up to Tescos and have the discretion to go elsewhere - hence reducing the need for Tesco workers. Maybe there is some kind of generic problem here with Tesco, given that their profits seem to be moving rapidly southwards. On the other hand if Tesco workers ain't happy there, maybe they should go and get a job somewhere else - preferably where they don't have to deal with the public.

Interestingly enough the cafe at Tesco Inshes has finally closed which will be a merciful relief to many customers who no longer have to inflict the food on themselves. As it happens the staff were extremely polite and helpful and the coffee and toast (when the respective machines weren't broken down) were actually quite good.

But the food itself was absolutely minging - partly because it sat and coagulated on a hotplate for so long because there were so few customers becasue the food was so crap and the place was getting run down etc etc.....

Unfortunately my visit to the Tesco Retail Park cafe was little better... and just don't mention the Adsa one although the store staff are extremely polite and helpful! The food in Morrisons cafe is a bit better but you wait forever for it to be brought and even for someone to take your order. But eternal queueing in Morrisons is a way of life.

So between one thing and another, Inverness maybe isn't that well served by supermarkets!

Edited by Charles Bannerman

Supermarkets just aren't fun Charles, not for the customer, or for the staff. it's kind of like asking what makes a good government. By their very nature, they aren't good. I enjoy a bookstore. I have never, never looked forward to visiting the supermarket. it's a necessary evil.

Nowadays, you can do your shopping online and get it delivered. I'd say this is a much better way of it. In fact, it's almost a throwback to the butcher's boy.

• 2 weeks later...