Tahiti

Yngwie

I don't have a great deal of interest in the Confederations Cup, but I thought I had misheard when it was mentioned that Tahiti were in it. Turns out they are the representatives of Oceania after overcoming Vanuatu, Samoa, New Caledonia and the Solomon Islands. Seriously, that's all they had to do!

Will be interesting to see how these unknown amateurs fare against Nigeria tonight, and to get Renegade's current views on the Pacific Islands as a source of footballing talent :wink:

I've got a bet on there being 5 or more goals in the game, at 13/8.

I hope Steve Marsella will watching the game, or will even be there in person to find us some new star players!

Interestingly though, one of their players plays in Ligue 1 and has previously played for Nantes.  

They also have a rather eclectic numbering system.  Number 8 and 10 are defenders, number 3's a midfielder and number 2's a striker!  :amazed:

Interesting fact though:  A Pacific Islander has won the World Cup.  Christian Karembeu was in the French 98 squad and was from New Caledonia!

Edited by Renegade
  • Agree 1

Tahiti did well last night and the scoreline should have been a lot more. Fortunately for Tahiti their Nigerian counterparts got a bit arrogant and cocky and wasted a dozen more chances to score when I reckon my dog could have tucked those chances away. But they were too busy trying to go round the keeper or place their shot rather than put their laces through the ball.

I've got a bet on there being 5 or more goals in the game, at 13/8.

Kerching!

Tahiti certainly tried to play some decent attacking football, rather than stick everyone behind the ball like some of the European minnows do (some of whom even go 4-6-0!). But they'll need to improve massively at the back if they are going to restrict Spain's reserves to single figures.

Edited by Yngwie

Tahiti are rated well down here in NZ.  

They would easily beat the sorry excuse Scotland has for a football team nowadays.  In fact if Scotland were in the Oceania Group they would come last.

Ive been and followed New Zealand as a team and infact scotland would be a country mile top. But the determination is stronger in oceania

I thought that 6-1 flattered Nigeria somewhat, especially as Tahiti did some kamikazee defending.  The number 13 for them sure looked a player though!

On the whole, I didn't think they were that bad a side and bear in mind that they won the Oceania Cup ahead of New Zealand, who were unbeaten at the last World Cup (and played very well at that).  I believe there's been talk for some time of merging Oceania and Asia, and surely Tahiti would be a far better team if they had more regular game and better opposition.

Edited by Renegade

:cool:

Will need to have a think now about how many Uruguay will put past them. Not as good a team as Spain, but Tahiti will be tired, and desperate for the glory of going out with a goal, potentially leaving even more gaps at the back.

• Agree 1

If Spain beat Nigeria then Uruguay just need a draw, but they must assume that Nigeria will beat Spain.  If Nigeria beat Spain by a single goal then their goal difference will go up to 5 and Uruguay will need to at least equal that.  Asuming Italy don't beat Brazil then Brazil will win the other group and play the runners up in Uruquay's group.  I imagine Uruguay would want to save them for the final and therefore they will have an incentive to win their group.  To do that they will need to beat Spain's goal difference and so they need to set out to score as many as possible.  If the news from the Spain game is that Spain are not going to lose then the incentive is lost and the game may just peter out.  But as long as Nigeria have a chance of winning I would expect Uruguay to pile on the pressure.

Whilst Italy will already have qualified, I think they will also go all out to beat Brazil as they will not want Spain in the semis.  Should be good games!