Surprise Packages...

I guess fans of other teams in Scotland would have said us or St.J were the SPL's surprise package last season.

Has anyone any predictions for the coming season?  Post them here and we can laugh at how wrong we got it at the end of the season.

I'll stick my neck out and say that I think Killie might do quite well this coming season...

They've a good 'keeper in Samson, Boyd may do well and they've been linked with Andy Webster and Darren Barr.  I also think they've a good manager in Allan Johnson.

(now watch them finish 11th on the final day of the season now that I've said that!)

Not sure if there will be any real surprises, but see Hearts staying up with Midden (not Thistle) going down, only other will be the rise of the Dons & D Utd with Well dropping down into the bottom half after being 2nd for the last 2 seasons.

On a hopefully optomistic level I'd like us to be the surprise package with a cup double (beating Celtic on route to both titles) and 4th spot in the League

• Agree 1

I think Aberdeen will be much improved this coming season - will be looking for top six at the very least - don't think they've managed that since Jimmy Calderwood was manager. For a city of the size of Aberdeen, with one senior club and a huge catchment area, they really under perform.

Even in the cups, they haven't had a Scottish Cup Final win in nearly a quarter century. Pathetic.

Edited by Sneckboy

Aberdeen have made some shrewd signings over the summer and have traded their pensioner manager for an ambitious young incumbent who will be determined to reverse the setback he had to his reputation last season

For those reasons, I believe that they have a strong chance of finishing second this season together with a cup final or two.

Got to remember, this season, it could be TWO who go down!! Lets be honest, everybody bar Celtic could get involved in the scrap for survival now the play-off has been introduced. As a yard stick, St Mirren were 11th last season on 41 points. Need to be looking at 45+ points it seems, to be sure to survive!

My prediction .............Celtic second place despite their wealth.

I have a feeling you're serious!! I have to strongly disagree. There is no chance of anyone getting close to Celtic. I suspect they'll cruise it by 20 points. If they're in any difficulty in January, then they'll just buy the players they need to win it. It's no contest. 

Its not only that, you also need some other club consistently beating everyone else. Just cant see it.

Aberdeen have a proven manager who is well respected internationally and off the back of a successful domestic run. They have signed solid players in central midfield, a returning captain and some bright talent on the wings. They will be Celtics main challengers.

Oops! That was last year!

• Agree 1

Aberdeen may well have a proven manager but he'll need at least a full season to build a team that could challenge at the top. I see them mid table and maybe top six. Nothing at Killie suggests they'll be up there. Nor even St Johnstone. I think Motherwell will continue as they left the end of last season. I believe Hearts, if they get ownership sorted out, will make up the deficit and stay up. Hibs are hard to predict though I think they may be in the bottom half. I think the County euphoria will have worn off and I see nothing there that makes me think they wont be in the relegation fight. Do Partick have a team suitable for SPL?

Celtic will win the league and I predict Dundee United, Motherwell and us challenging for the second and third spots. I'm confident we will be up there because we have continuation in the squad. Some players have gone, some have come in but the nucleus is still there and this should hold us in good stead for a successful start. My only one concern would be Esson and injury.

Everyone said the same last year about Aberdeen on the back of them signing Hayes and McGinn  :slapme: . I think Hearts will struggle to stay up, they wont sign anyone and given they will have a 15 point deficit before the league even begins i think it will be a mighty climb. 

United will fair well i think, added some good players to their set up and have a very capable young gaffer in McNamara. Hibs have a decent looking squad but lack any firepower just now and same can be said for Motherwell but we will see what their like when the transfer window closes. St Johnstone have added some good players to their squad and theyve bucked the donkey that is Tade (though i know he left by his own accord) so i would say their in with a great shout for another good season. 

Agreed that Killie could raise a few eyebrows, another team with a young aspiring manager, in fact when it comes to the SPL they are littered with young managers, at 54 i think big Tel is the oldest, poor man. 

Celtic champs even earlier than last season.

2-4th between Well, Utd, Dons, Killie and Caley Thistle.

Possibility of St Perth pushing for top 6,

Botom 6 between Perth, Hibs, county, St Mirren, Patrick and Hearts

With Partick and St Midden struggling with Hearts catching for the relegation and play offs.

If County have a slow start, they could be looking over their shoulders all season long.

Division 1, between Dundee, Falkirk and Morton

Division 2, between The Rangers and Rangers

Division 3 between Queens Park and Elgin i think

Highland League will be Brora, Nairn, Formartine and Cove