Hearts: 850,000/ Mirsad Bešlija/2006

Hibs: 700,000/ Ulises de la Cruz/2001

Inverness: 65,000/ John Rankin/ 2006

Motherwell: 500,000/ John Spencer/1999

Partick: 85,000/ Andy Murdoch/ 1991

Ross County: 50,000/ Derek Holmes/1999

St Mirren: 400,000/ Thomas Stickroth/ 1990

St Johnstone. 400,000/ Billy Dodds/ 1994

To the best of my/wikipedias knowledge. 1995 was the crazy peak seemingly. I remember Bernard's move, that was before Jess was sold! Will clubs outside the OF ever pay a substantial amount again?

Hearts paying £850,000 for an over-rated foreigner...and relatively recently (2006). And he was reputedly on £9,000 a WEEK on top of that. He made just 4 league starts in 3 years and was released for nothing. Total financial mismanagement and now they're begging fans to dig deep. They effectively 'bought' the Scottish Cup win that year. They should have the trophy retrospectively erased from their history for financial doping.

• Agree 1

I was never an Aberdeen supporter but I enjoyed that team. So much promising talent in Gary Smith (I was sure he would captain Scotland), Glass, Joe Miller (never really found his position), Jess, Bernard (if only his injuries had cleared up), Scott Booth, Inglis etc.

I was never an Aberdeen supporter but I enjoyed that team. So much promising talent in Gary Smith (I was sure he would captain Scotland), Glass, Joe Miller (never really found his position), Jess, Bernard (if only his injuries had cleared up), Scott Booth, Inglis etc.

Nevermind.

This year the dons'll come good...

:blink:

• 1 month later...

Bale will be worth £85m if some club is prepared to pay that for him.  Any club doing that will be looking at the huge sums that are available from television rights, sponsorship and commercial spin off of success at the very highest level.  If they think Bale can make the difference to the team to give them the level of success which will give them the kind of additional income which makes £85m spent on Bale seem like a good investment, then they'll pay it. 

The sad thing is that no player should be worth that sort of money.  The fact that such sums are even considered illustrates the inequalities in the modern game.  Such sums can only be talked about because the top clubs get a huge worldwide audience with the result that fewer people then have the appetite to watch their local teams.

• 3 weeks later...

Regards Bale, what I can not get my head around is how they even think they can recoup £ 85,000,000. His wages will be astronomic on top of that. They fill the ground every week, so wheres the new fans to add to income. How many extra shirts will they have to sell, compared to say Angel De Maria ( an extra million shirts worldwide might pull in £ 10-12m profit ), additional sponsership - again how much more will they pull in compared to Higuain ( gone to Napoli ). TV deals already agreed and structured world wide re La Liga, Champions League etc and only so many additional lucrative friendlies they will get in addition to their usual offers from round the world.

And if Gareth Bale is worth £ 85m, what is Messi worth, Luis Suarez, Robin van Persie, Christian benteke. The world is going mad

• Agree 2