Nigerian goalfest

Yngwie

Did you see the scores from Nigeria the other day? Basically you had 2 teams level on points and goal difference, and whichever one won by the most in their final game would get promotion to the national 3rd division.

Having recently drawn against each other 0-0, both teams miraculously found their shooting boots and won 79-0 and 67-0 respectively. The majority of the goals came in the 2nd half, at a rate of one every 40 seconds. Unsurprisingly there is to be an investigation.

It has also been reported that trialist Shane Sutherland failed to get on the scoresheet. (sorry, couldn't resist!)

Edited by Yngwie

Weren't Arbroath playing a cricket team?

Anyway, they officially lost that record about 10 years ago, although the 149-0 in Madagascar perhaps shouldn't really be counted as it was caused by deliberate own goals as a protest against a refereeing decision Lionel Djebi-Zadi playing in central defence.

I didn't realise Arbroath's 36-0 had been beaten. It was in the Scottish Cup and strangely that same afternoon another fixture in the round ended up 35-0!

I remember Australia beating American Samoa 31-0 a few years back which is easily the biggest win I can recall. Watching the Confederations Cup last week, I wondered how many Spain could have beaten Tahiti by if they'd really needed to. Say, 20 goals?

It reminds me of the story about the football match between the insects and the animals.  The animals were dominant in the first half and scored at will.  The half time score was 50 - 0.  In the second half the insects brought on the millipede as a sub and he was fantastic,  He ran rings round the animals and scored the winning goal just before the full time whistle.  After the game, the captain of the animals asked why the millipede wasn't in the starting eleven.  "Well", said the captain of the insects, "it took him all the first half to get his boots on!"

Yes, I know, the old ones are the best.  But I offer it just to say that there is probably a perfectly reasonable explanation for what, at first sight, appears to be a remarkable change at half time.  I am sure the investigators will come to that conclusion when they speak to the same people that arranged the scorelines. :tongueincheek:

• 2 weeks later...