Good Olde Cellic

Some years ago I saw Celtic away at Burnley in An Anglo Scottish cup match. I witnessed massive drinking before the match to , I saw one Celtic fan trying to examine the huge genitals of a stallion police horse. I mention this just to elaborate how drunk they were. Chants of  "we are the popes army",  and other pointless remarks  abounded around Turf Moor long before the game started. Burnley were not totally lily white , as they retorted with chants of  "Rangers". . 

The riot was quite exceptional as the link below elaborates.

I couldn't get the link to work but if you copy it into your browser there's a chance it will

The railings mentioned were iron and some where thrown like javelins

I was reminded of the riot at Wembley when Scottish fans rioted and wrecked the goalposts amongst other things.

That day before the game my wife caught a train at Preston  and travelled in a coach full of Scottish supporters from Glasgow, she told me they behaved  towards her with perfect manners, but they drank cans of beer the whole way down to London. I think she was rather worried, and glad to get there safe and sound.

Don't get me wrong I am not picking on Scottish fans I have seen Liverpool and Preston fans behaving just has badly. I think it is something to do with living close to dockyards.#

www.geocities.ws/Colosseum/Track/6698/memo/celtic.html

Edited by Laurence

Just to correct a small point in your post Laurence, and without meaning to seem personal, as you may think, Scottish fans, and I was one, did not riot at Wembley. The definition of 'riot' is: a violent disturbance. Scotland won the game. The fans invaded the pitch at the final whistle and in the euphoria a set of goalposts got broken and some turf found its way into peoples pockets. There was no violence and no intent to harm or maime. Just a few thousand happy fans celebrating a great win.

• Agree 2

Just to correct a small point in your post Laurence, and without meaning to seem personal, as you may think, Scottish fans, and I was one, did not riot at Wembley. The definition of 'riot' is: a violent disturbance. Scotland won the game. The fans invaded the pitch at the final whistle and in the euphoria a set of goalposts got broken and some turf found its way into peoples pockets. There was no violence and no intent to harm or maime. Just a few thousand happy fans celebrating a great win.

Not only that: it was nearly 35 years ago.

Btw Laurence, brilliant idea about the dockyards. If only you'd passed that tip on earlier, all the riots (yes, literally riots) at Luton, Charleroi, Dublin, Rome, Marseilles, Heysel and, as recently as last summer, Bedford (that renowned dockyard town) during Euro 2012, could all have been prevented!

Don't get me wrong I am not picking on Scottish fans I have seen Liverpool and Preston fans behaving just has badly. I think it is something to do with living close to dockyards

Amazing the things you learn on CTO. I never ever realised Preston was a dockyard town till now. I know it has a Marina but never thought that was once docks.

• Agree 1

I only mentioned it because of my wife , very young then saw the travelling fans on a train going down to the match

But I take your point without reservation

I believe the first ever so called "riot" was at Gigg Lane Bury , lol

When Bolton Wanderers 3000 fans invaded the pitch. A Lancashire Cup final in the 19th century.

Bury F C where heavily reprimanded by the LFA and fined , I believe also the ground was closed for some time.

Source History of Bolton Wanderers F. C I think a long time ago I read it.

Amazing the things you learn on CTO. I never ever realised Preston was a dockyard town till now. I know it has a Marina but never thought that was once docks.

Don't get me wrong I am not picking on Scottish fans I have seen Liverpool and Preston fans behaving just has badly. I think it is something to do with living close to dockyards

Preston Docks. Just like Wigan Pier . Actually Canal based both of them.  When they were shifting cotton in the Haydays  before the trains

"Britain's bread hangs on Lancashire's thread". 

Horrible racist fans in any event. Came to Gigg Lane once and caused havoc . Don't like them . Another bad lot are based in Hull. You could say Millwall has no docks but apparently they came from the Isle of Dogs whatever that is.

Of course it must be true as it was posted on an internet forum !!! Never mind the fact the Brentford manager thanked the Celtic fans for creating a tremendous atmosphere .

Exactly.

I didn't make it to the game, I've not got Tim tendancies, honest, but a few of my mates in London do and by all accounts it was a cracking day out.

They swear blind no offencive songs were sung about Lee Rigby (RIP) nor was a "Islam" banner on display but hae-hoe the press will print any old sh*te

Edited by Zoid

Of course it must be true as it was posted on an internet forum !!! Never mind the fact the Brentford manager thanked the Celtic fans for creating a tremendous atmosphere .

Exactly.

I didn't make it to the game, I've not got Tim tendancies, honest, but a few of my mates in London do and by all accounts it was a cracking day out.

They swear blind no offencive songs were sung about Lee Rigby (RIP) nor was a "Islam" banner on display but hae-hoe the press will print any old sh*te

Did the press print anything backing up the internet poster's claims ? I am not aware of any such reports but at least it gave Laurence an opportunity to have yet another go at his fellow countrymen and to inform us all, yet again, that not only was he in the fire service but very senior within that noble body of men and women.

Edited by Kingsmills

Preston Docks. Just like Wigan Pier . Actually Canal based both of them.  When they were shifting cotton in the Haydays  before the trains

"Britain's bread hangs on Lancashire's thread". 

Horrible racist fans in any event. Came to Gigg Lane once and caused havoc . Don't like them . Another bad lot are based in Hull. You could say Millwall has no docks but apparently they came from the Isle of Dogs whatever that is.

I realise that it must be an aberation from your almost perfect knowledge of almost everything but far from having no docks, Millwall was founded in London's docklands by dockers and Scottish ones at that and were often referred to as 'The Dockers'.

Edited by Kingsmills

Keeping up the good name of Scottish Football ??

21994_385033554930535_110042855_n.jpg

Eh so what songs did you sing in the jungle back in the day then?

The septics and the orcs supporters are scum is it any wonder no one in England wants them to join the Premiership

Having said that the tartan army don't really behave that much better when it comes to over indulging on the drink, I've personally witnessed the mess that's left behind foreign cities squares once the tartan army have called

Dougal

• 2 weeks later...

Some years ago I saw Celtic away at Burnley in An Anglo Scottish cup match. I witnessed massive drinking before the match to , I saw one Celtic fan trying to examine the huge genitals of a stallion police horse. I mention this just to elaborate how drunk they were. Chants of "we are the popes army", and other pointless remarks abounded around Turf Moor long before the game started. Burnley were not totally lily white , as they retorted with chants of "Rangers". .

The riot was quite exceptional as the link below elaborates.

I couldn't get the link to work but if you copy it into your browser there's a chance it will

The railings mentioned were iron and some where thrown like javelins

I was reminded of the riot at Wembley when Scottish fans rioted and wrecked the goalposts amongst other things.

That day before the game my wife caught a train at Preston and travelled in a coach full of Scottish supporters from Glasgow, she told me they behaved towards her with perfect manners, but they drank cans of beer the whole way down to London. I think she was rather worried, and glad to get there safe and sound.

Don't get me wrong I am not picking on Scottish fans I have seen Liverpool and Preston fans behaving just has badly. I think it is something to do with living close to dockyards.#

www.geocities.ws/Colosseum/Track/6698/memo/celtic.html

Not cans of beer?! The whole way?!! Terrible behaviour.

And at a celebration party, in a flat up at the Meadows in Edinburgh, on that Saturday night around 11.30 pm Alan Rose and a couple of accomplices arrived back from Wembley with the netting from above mentioned goal and several pieces of Wembley turf.  The netting was draped appropriately over the top of  a big ornate mirror above a very large ornate fireplace in the lounge room of the flat and the turf placed on the mantlepiece. I can still see it all now.