Now that (parts of) Inversneckonia has finally got Fibre To The Cabinet has anyone in here got it and what's your verdict?

My area is provisionally earmarked for Sep 2013 and indeed the new FTTC cabinet is already in place next to the old cabinet, but I'll believe it when it happens.

Got it in and working from BT 70 meg download and 20 meg upload much faster than the old 5-6 meg! That is on fibre to the cabinet which is about 300m from my house then on copper via a pole to my house. There will be a slight loss the further you are away from the cabinet. Not all of Inverness is being done including Culloden. They have started in Dingwall and Fort William.

It's always the same.  Those who already have fast broadband are the first to get the upgrade.  We're in an internet black hole on the Black Isle.  We're nominally served by the Dingwall exchange but we simply cannot get broadband through the landline.  Instead there is a satelite receiver on the hill behind Dingwall which then sends and receives signals to and from mini satelite type dish on our house.  We get 1Mb and pay over £30 a month for the privilege over and above the cost of our landline.  Some neighbours have the same whilst other have slightly different solutions with the detail depending on the precise location of the house and whether satelite, phone or landline gives the best signal.  The Dingwall exchange is set to be upgraded by December so hopefully we will end up with a much better provision for a lot less money.

One of the frustrating thing about this is that there is a fibre optic cable going past the house because the Government decreed that all schools were to have a certain level of broadband provision.  So the local Primary School gets a decent broadband signal but domestic customers are not allowed access to the cable.

We'll see what comes of this but no doubt the emphasis will be to get the maximum number on the superfast broadband as soon as possible to make the statistics look good.  Those in real need of an improved service have never been a priority for BT and I can see the current situation continuing amidst claims of a major improvement in Broadband provision.

• Agree 1

I thought back in the day it used to be called FTTH - is this some sort of new spin or just a fibre/copper mash up for the last few metres?

Yes, it's a "mash up". FTTH is fibre to the home. FTTC is only fibre to the cabinet which services your line, with the remaining cabinet to home via the original copper cable.

Got it in and working from BT 70 meg download and 20 meg upload much faster than the old 5-6 meg! That is on fibre to the cabinet which is about 300m from my house then on copper via a pole to my house. There will be a slight loss the further you are away from the cabinet. Not all of Inverness is being done including Culloden. They have started in Dingwall and Fort William.

Dalneigh? There is a cabinet on Smith Avenue whirring away so it's obviously enabled. The one near my house is silent. I stop and put my ear to it every time I pass by to listen for the fan noise. Folk must think I'm a header. 

The online checker ( I'd post a link but I don't think I'm allowed) reckons I may get 62.1 mbps. I get 2.80 mbps at the moment.

I wonder if the reason why so few cabinets are actually switched on when so many cabinets  have been in place for months is due to the fact that the service requires a visit from a BT bod to install ( self install isn't possible) and there wouldn't be enough bods to cope with the demand if they enabled them all at once? 

I also wonder if they did Glenurquhart Road first to give the Council Offices priority?  BT need council permission to site the new fibre cabinets on the pavements etc.

Chums, it's all about money, but I can advise that if that was the case here in this vast country , which is one and a half times the size of France there would be riots.

The Government has also declared it as a priority for those in remote areas far from source, who still have not received broadband, to be serviced as quickly as possible.

Scotty, have you anything to add to this?

One of the frustrating thing about this is that there is a fibre optic cable going past the house because the Government decreed that all schools were to have a certain level of broadband provision.  So the local Primary School gets a decent broadband signal but domestic customers are not allowed access to the cable.

Can you not look at p0rn at the school then?  :tongueincheek:

• 2 months later...