Walter Smith quits Rangers!

Sneckboy

As widely speculated yesterday, Walter Smith has stepped down from his role as chairman at Rangers. It seems that the return of Charles Green has triggered a catalogue of events at Ibrox culminating in In-fighted and disharmony at boardroom (and pitch!) level.

There are rumours abound that Ally McCoist may follow and indeed will 'walk away'!!

If that were to be the case, then obviously Terry would inevitably be linked with the job. I genuinely believe that the only Scottish team that could turn Butcher's head are Rangers so I'm firmly hoping McCoist stays! I can't go through another 'Barnsley' episode!

Stuart McCall - he has links to Sheff Utd, like Green in the past and I wouldnt be surprised if thats the guy Green would go after, but he has to remove Sally first.

Laughable that a team with the 2nd highest wage bill in Scotland was making excuses before the Forfar game that they had to make do with the 3rd division side and couldnt field any of their new signings - the investment and money into Murray Park over the years you would expect their U21 team to be good enough to beat some part time players (no offence to Forfar intended). The club, the people, the fans are a farce and with every story makes Scottish football more of a laughing stock.

• Agree 1

I'd be surprised if Terry was interested given Rangers shambolic state, but, then again, I suppose money talks!

Butcher was offered apparently big bucks at Barnsley and turned it down (offered the best deal they'd ever offered to a manager IIRC and I heard somewhere they would have quadrupled the salary he's on here now).

I see one of the bookies had him as 6-1 to be the new boss, but I don't think he'll go.  I finished reading his autobiography recently (written in 2005 while he was still at Motherwell), and he seems to really resent Rangers nowadays and dislikes the baggage that comes with them.

If he went to Rangers he would be stepping into a very muddy puddle. And it might finish his career on a very sour note. The place is a hotbed of intrigue and infighting. Shambolic isn't the word for it, it seems.

Staying at Caley Thistle is offering him great prospects for more success, stability and a growing reputation for success. At Rangers the whole thing could go into reverse....?

• Agree 1

I would be amazed if he took the Rangers job if offered.tbh. Although Terry himself is media friendly I get the impression he likes his private life kept private and living in the Highlands allows him to do that. That wouldnt neccessarily be the case in the Glasgow gold fish bowl.

• Agree 2

I have a very unpopular view on Rangers. I definitely feel it is time they were back in business big time.

The great city of Glasgow needs two big rival teams, Scotland needs Rangers, finances need Rangers.

I feel enough is enough. All the silly infighting should cease and things should get back to - need  I say it " Normal".

I really feel that it is time to get Rangers back into the top division. One way or another.

Managers have been mentioned, who is good enough to take this once great monolith in footballing terms by the scruff of the neck.

I don't think Terry is half way there and I believe he would be a total failure.  I have in mind a Harry Rednap, Tony Pullis , Neil Warnock, or such like a man who would not take any old buck. So if Rangers have any sense at all forget the old stagers like Terry and get a real hard guy.

I have a very unpopular view on Rangers. I definitely feel it is time they were back in business big time.

The great city of Glasgow needs two big rival teams, Scotland needs Rangers, finances need Rangers.

I feel enough is enough. All the silly infighting should cease and things should get back to - need  I say it " Normal".

I really feel that it is time to get Rangers back into the top division. One way or another.

Managers have been mentioned, who is good enough to take this once great monolith in footballing terms by the scruff of the neck.

I don't think Terry is half way there and I believe he would be a total failure.  I have in mind a Harry Rednap, Tony Pullis , Neil Warnock, or such like a man who would not take any old buck. So if Rangers have any sense at all forget the old stagers like Terry and get a real hard guy.

picard-facepalm-o.gif

• Agree 3

picard-facepalm-o.gif

Lost all his hair watching Rangers last year I presume

• Agree 1

I think there is already 3 teams in the Premier Div in Glasgow if you count Paisey

I don't get your point

I am saying we need Rangers back. Plain and simple. A Great City needs top teams.

I think there is already 3 teams in the Premier Div in Glasgow if you count Paisey

I don't get your point

I am saying we need Rangers back. Plain and simple. A Great City needs top teams.

I doubt many will agree with you Laurence! I don't.......sorry

I doubt the people of Paisley would thank you for saying they are part of Glasgow. 

My point is that not having the Rangers in the top tier is positive in many ways.  There may or not be financial arguments for them being in the SPL but IMHO there are far more footballing arguments for them not to be.  They will be in the top flight all too soon because at the end of the day, their financial backers and huge support will buy success.  But in the meantime, lets enjoy the breath of fresh air that pervades the top flight at the moment and enjoy the improved opportunities that smaller clubs such as ITC and St Johnstone have of earning a bit of success.  And let's enjoy the fact that the big Glasgow derbies this year will involve Partick and not the Rangers.

• Agree 1

Aye, we should just let the phoenix entity of a vile club that went bust into the top tier just because they're based in a (very debatably!) "great city"  :rolleyes:.  What utter nonsense, clearly posted by someone who's never sat in the away end at Ibrox while these union jack clad morons have chucked 10 pence pieces at you because they're so irate about the result!  Scottish football and Scottish society would be a heck of a lot better without them.

• Agree 1

I very much doubt the Rangers would offer him the job after the way he slated them after leaving them . The the Rangers fans wouldn't want him .

I agree.  Any Sevconian who has read his autobiography considers him a traitor.  Which, I as someone who dislikes the old Rangers and dislikes Sevco am very happy about. 

I don't think even D Moyes, the new Manager of Manchester United , would be able to pull this chestnut out of the fire now.

Sometimes lessons have to be learned the hard way and it's Rangers turn now and no mistake.

It simply doesn't look as if it is sinking in yet that if there is much more of the baloney that is currently surrounding Ibrox these days and even the faithful will turn against them.

All propriety and dignity seems to have exited the main gate along with integrity. And contempt must surely soon follow the sadness that dwelleth therein.

Laurence,  sorry, but if you think this charade of a team now will be welcome  in the new SPL I am not at all sure of that  :redcard: my friend.

I have a very unpopular view on Rangers.

You are right with your first sentence Laurence :wink:

If you go through life , whether it be at work, or  with the girls, or anything else worrying  about being popular, what are you?

I have always said, " be your own man, think for yourself, and believe in yourself". If you get ridiculed for your beliefs then tough.  You are entitled to have your beliefs.

Anyone who watches Westerns knows lynch mob mentality never works.

I am no Rangers fan by any stretch, I was brought up in highly  Catholic Lancashire by Irish nuns, I sang " Hail Glorious St. Patrick ", in assembly at school every morning.  I was taught to detest protestants above all else.

I just feel this Rangers business, has gone on long enough. It is not good for football in Scotland, It is not helping the top division, It is not helping Glasgow. I can't see how it is helping anybody.  I think the sooner we get back to the status quo , the sooner Scotland can get a national team to be proud of.

I can see that young men glory in a  fallen giant, we all had a good laugh, but how long before we realise we have created a false set up.

As Douglas Bader, told the Germans " Rules were made for fools, and the guidance of wise men ".

Maybe the men are not wise, or they implemented the rules without guidance. I am not the oracle, I just say it as I see it. 

I just feel this Rangers business, has gone on long enough. It is not good for football in Scotland, It is not helping the top division, It is not helping Glasgow. I can't see how it is helping anybody. 

What about all the people (particularly women) who haven't been battered due to having no Old Firm matches, which are renowned for huge spikes in violence?