Scottish Cup First Round Draw

Alex MacLeod

Throws up two all Highland League matches.

1. Edinburgh University v Spartans
2. Threave Rovers v Rothes
3. Golspie Sutherland v Edinburgh City
4. Huntly v Preston Athletic
5. Coldstream v Wick Academy
6. Girvan v Auchinleck Talbot
7. Selkirk v Turriff United
8. Fort William v Newton Stewart
9. Forres Mechanics v Keith
10. Fraserburgh v Civil Service Strollers
11. Gala Fairydean Rovers v Glasgow University
12. Wigtown and Bladnoch v Buckie Thistle
13. Brora Rangers v Vale of Leithen
14. Deveronvale v Clachnacuddin
15. Inverurie Loco Works v Burntisland Shipyard
16. Hawick Royal Albert v St. Cuthbert Wanderers
17. Lossiemouth v Culter
18. Linlithgow Rose v Nairn County

Coldstream v Wick, nae luck!

Yeah, Wick reckon they'll lose around £5,000 playing the tie! They'll have to stay overnight on the Friday, maybe in Edinburgh, (or maybe not if the Festival's still on!)

Nairn have a real tough one away to Linlithgow Rose, but Brora will be pleased with a home game and a very winnable one vs. Vale of Leithen.

Lossie v Culter is interesting as it pits the North's top Junior club against a struggling Highland League side.

Was looking for Cove but then remembered they've got a bye! (Along with Formartine, Dalbeattie and Whitehill Welfare*)

*Mantis's favourite team!

I was curious as to how Gala Fairydean came to have "Rovers" at the end of their name, but it seems that they merged with amateur side Gala Rovers this summer.

Just out of interest, did anyone else here make it to Netherdale for any of old Caley's Scottish Cup ties? Must have been around 1984 that we won 2-0 there after Gala missed the chance to go in front when their penalty hit the post, and then around 1990 it was 2-2 before Caley comfortably won the replay.

Yeah, Wick reckon they'll lose around £5,000 playing the tie! They'll have to stay overnight on the Friday, maybe in Edinburgh, (or maybe not if the Festival's still on!)

Nairn have a real tough one away to Linlithgow Rose, but Brora will be pleased with a home game and a very winnable one vs. Vale of Leithen.

Lossie v Culter is interesting as it pits the North's top Junior club against a struggling Highland League side.

Was looking for Cove but then remembered they've got a bye! (Along with Formartine, Dalbeattie and Whitehill Welfare*)

Nairn and Brora will walk over their opponents

I was curious as to how Gala Fairydean came to have "Rovers" at the end of their name, but it seems that they merged with amateur side Gala Rovers this summer.

Just out of interest, did anyone else here make it to Netherdale for any of old Caley's Scottish Cup ties? Must have been around 1984 that we won 2-0 there after Gala missed the chance to go in front when their penalty hit the post, and then around 1990 it was 2-2 before Caley comfortably won the replay.

I was at the reply game vs Gala Fairydean and seem to remember the Gala 'keeper making an absolute howler at a Caley goal by completely miss-kicking a clearance!

Yeah, as you correctly state, Fairydean merged with local amateur side Gala Rovers just a few weeks ago.

Rovers are/were the current Borders amateur champions and defeated Fairydean in a 'bounce' game recently. With Gala Fairydean about to embark on the Lowland League - effectively a promotion of 2 divisions - they realised they needed to be stronger.

I believe it was decided by the Galashiels footballing community that the 'best way forward' for the town would be to merge the clubs. Fairydean's manager resigned after this decision! The article I read suggested that John Collins (ex-Scotland international and proud son of Galashiels) was 'instumental' in suggesting/implementing/forcing the merger through. And I can't for the life of me find the said article!

Anyway, come time, I think they could become one of the stronger sides in the Lowland League although it will be difficult as Gala will always be predominately a rugby town.

Ah yes, the East of Scotland Champions come in on October 5th.

Favourite team? Well they met ICT in 97-8 and I went up in the Whitehill bus, got stick but supported ICT!

Far bigger gap between the clubs now though, wouldn't be a contest. You would have a wonderful day out at Ferguson Park, Inverurie liked it so much they came back this year for a friendly.

Btw the new Lowland League kicks off tomorrow. Whitehill at home to Gala Fairydean Rovers as it happens.

Nairn and Brora will walk over their opponents

I'll take that bet.  Linlithgow will beat Nairn fairly comfortably i would reckon.

Was at both. Stayed at what seemed like Faulty Towers with the Caley team before the 1984 one but that's another story!

It'd be good if every club in the Scottish Cup went in at in the First Round IMO.

That! I would like to see. Celtic travelling to wick on a cold wednesday night after the first game being postponed due to snow in September and going out to a player who no doubt played for ict u19s/reserves in the past. The uproar would be immense. I think Celtic would implode from the centre circle of parkheed outwards. Toxic Radiation would be felt in Rome.

*Mantis's favourite team! Nairn and Brora will walk over their opponents

I'll take that bet. Linlithgow will beat Nairn fairly comfortably i would reckon.

Linlithgow are a poor side did you watch the SJC final?

*Mantis's favourite team! Nairn and Brora will walk over their opponents I'll take that bet. Linlithgow will beat Nairn fairly comfortably i would reckon.

Linlithgow are a poor side did you watch the SJC final?

Yeah i was at the game,  up until that game Linlithgow were unbeaten ALL season.  They won their league comfortably and were only beaten 1-0 in the cup by the greatest junior club there is.  They had an off day, it happens. Junior sides usually make it to the 3rd round of the Scottish Cup, until they reach teams from the 2nd and 1st divisions when things are just a little too much for them.

I will be putting my money on Linlithgow for the Nairn game anyway, They as well as Auchinleck should be able to handle most of the HL teams i reckon.

*Mantis's favourite team!Nairn and Brora will walk over their opponentsI'll take that bet. Linlithgow will beat Nairn fairly comfortably i would reckon. Linlithgow are a poor side did you watch the SJC final?

Yeah i was at the game, up until that game Linlithgow were unbeaten ALL season. They won their league comfortably and were only beaten 1-0 in the cup by the greatest junior club there is. They had an off day, it happens. Junior sides usually make it to the 3rd round of the Scottish Cup, until they reach teams from the 2nd and 1st divisions when things are just a little too much for them.

I will be putting my money on Linlithgow for the Nairn game anyway, They as well as Auchinleck should be able to handle most of the HL teams i reckon.

You overestimate the strength of all the junior teams

• Agree 1