Scottish Cup First Round Draw

Alex MacLeod

Coldstream v Wick, nae luck!

Yeah, Wick reckon they'll lose around £5,000 playing the tie! They'll have to stay overnight on the Friday, maybe in Edinburgh, (or maybe not if the Festival's still on!)

Nairn have a real tough one away to Linlithgow Rose, but Brora will be pleased with a home game and a very winnable one vs. Vale of Leithen.

Lossie v Culter is interesting as it pits the North's top Junior club against a struggling Highland League side.

Was looking for Cove but then remembered they've got a bye! (Along with Formartine, Dalbeattie and Whitehill Welfare*)

*Mantis's favourite team! Nairn and Brora will walk over their opponents I'll take that bet. Linlithgow will beat Nairn fairly comfortably i would reckon.

Linlithgow are a poor side did you watch the SJC final?

Is this the same Linlithgow Rose who won 19 and drew 3 out of 22 games last season to win the East Super League. The ones who also won the Junior League Cup and the Fife and Lothians Cup as well as being runners up in Scottish Junior Cup and East of Scotland Cup. Not the sort of record I'd expect for a poor side.

Yeah, Wick reckon they'll lose around £5,000 playing the tie! They'll have to stay overnight on the Friday, maybe in Edinburgh, (or maybe not if the Festival's still on!)

Nairn have a real tough one away to Linlithgow Rose, but Brora will be pleased with a home game and a very winnable one vs. Vale of Leithen.

Lossie v Culter is interesting as it pits the North's top Junior club against a struggling Highland League side.

Was looking for Cove but then remembered they've got a bye! (Along with Formartine, Dalbeattie and Whitehill Welfare*)

*Mantis's favourite team!Nairn and Brora will walk over their opponentsI'll take that bet. Linlithgow will beat Nairn fairly comfortably i would reckon.Linlithgow are a poor side did you watch the SJC final?

Yeah i was at the game, up until that game Linlithgow were unbeaten ALL season. They won their league comfortably and were only beaten 1-0 in the cup by the greatest junior club there is. They had an off day, it happens. Junior sides usually make it to the 3rd round of the Scottish Cup, until they reach teams from the 2nd and 1st divisions when things are just a little too much for them.

I will be putting my money on Linlithgow for the Nairn game anyway, They as well as Auchinleck should be able to handle most of the HL teams i reckon.You overestimate the strength of all the junior teamsThe likes of Linlithgow l, auchenleck, and culter would give any team a run for there money up to about 1st/2nd division standard. Auchinleck gave a strong hearts a run for their money not so long ago.

Edited by lukemackay

Agree with you lukemackay regarding Auchinleck and Linlithgow but the North Junior League is of an inferior standard. Culter are well below the quality of the top junior sides outside of the North. They would struggle in the top East and West Junior superleagues!

The reason, in my opinion, is that Aberdeen has an abundance of teams and therefore the playing standard is diluted. It's not that the players aren't good enough, just that they're too evenly spread. A bit like how Inverness amateur teams (before they went Welfare) didn't do very well in the Highland Amateur Cup - it would ordinarily be 'expected' for the City team to produce a contender but it rarely materialised.

The likes of Wick, with 3 or so teams had stronger line-ups due to the Inverness talent being spread over around 30+ teams.

The likes of Linlithgow l, auchenleck, and culter would give any team a run for there money up to about 1st/2nd division standard. Auchinleck gave a strong hearts a run for their money not so long ago.

You have to be careful using results from cup ties though. Motivation is probably 80% of football. If the Hearts got their erses booted for being complacent they would hammer Talbot the next 10 times. Last year's talbot were exceptional and I think they would be about div 2 standard.

Caley got a 2-2 draw with premier St Johnstone but they were outplayed for about 70 mins and very tired when they got a penalty for 2-1. When ICT joined div 3 they were stronger than Caley but only made 6th place.

Agree with you lukemackay regarding Auchinleck and Linlithgow but the North Junior League is of an inferior standard. Culter are well below the quality of the top junior sides outside of the North. They would struggle in the top East and West Junior superleagues!

The reason, in my opinion, is that Aberdeen has an abundance of teams and therefore the playing standard is diluted. It's not that the players aren't good enough, just that they're too evenly spread. A bit like how Inverness amateur teams (before they went Welfare) didn't do very well in the Highland Amateur Cup - it would ordinarily be 'expected' for the City team to produce a contender but it rarely materialised.

The likes of Wick, with 3 or so teams had stronger line-ups due to the Inverness talent being spread over around 30+ teams.

i reckon culter are stronger than most highland league sides. if they still have that jamie mccalister theyll walk their way to the league this year. they arnt close to being as good as auchinleck or linlithgow but are still a very strong side and i dont think many 3rd/2nd divison sides would like to come up against them.

*Mantis's favourite team!Nairn and Brora will walk over their opponentsI'll take that bet. Linlithgow will beat Nairn fairly comfortably i would reckon.Linlithgow are a poor side did you watch the SJC final?Yeah i was at the game, up until that game Linlithgow were unbeaten ALL season. They won their league comfortably and were only beaten 1-0 in the cup by the greatest junior club there is. They had an off day, it happens. Junior sides usually make it to the 3rd round of the Scottish Cup, until they reach teams from the 2nd and 1st divisions when things are just a little too much for them.

I will be putting my money on Linlithgow for the Nairn game anyway, They as well as Auchinleck should be able to handle most of the HL teams i reckon.You overestimate the strength of all the junior teamsThe likes of Linlithgow l, auchenleck, and culter would give any team a run for there money up to about 1st/2nd division standard. Auchinleck gave a strong hearts a run for their money not so long ago.

I agree Auchinleck are better than Linlithgow. They are a good side, and after seeing Nairn so far this season, it worries me that the rose may win. Linlithgows unbeaten season was nothing other than beating poor teams. 3rd division standard IMO. The likes of Tommy Coyne and the Mclennans are at junior level because they aren't sfl standard. They failed at Clyde, East Stirling etc.

I think you underestimate junior football in central belt. You certainly underestimate Linlithgow who, up till the Junior Cup final had gone 49 games without defeat. Whether or not they could compete at any level of senior leagues we'll probably never know but they are a club that, given the opportunity, would adapt very well.

The likes of Tommy Coyne and the Mclennans are at junior level because they aren't sfl standard. They failed at Clyde, East Stirling etc.

Not always though. Some of them play junior because the money's better and they don't need to go to Montrose or Elgin on a Tuesday night.

I think you underestimate junior football in central belt. You certainly underestimate Linlithgow who, up till the Junior Cup final had gone 49 games without defeat. Whether or not they could compete at any level of senior leagues we'll probably never know but they are a club that, given the opportunity, would adapt very well.

They will never enter the senior leagues , they refuse to

They will never enter the senior leagues , they refuse to

I'm aware that, in the days of Davie Roy, they wouldn't entertain such ideas but things change and they may well choose to follow the pyramid system if it ever comes about.

I live in Linlithgow but do not see the Rose very often as I prefer to follow ICT. However I do know that their budget for playing staff is comparable to the old 2nd division which is now the 1st division. Most of their players have made the choice to play at the top end of the junior game because of the money. Linlithgow Rose have a thriving social club and because Linlithgow is a very affluent town sponsorship is easy to come by.

Davie Roy is still very much involved and I know the Linlithgow do like being the big fish in a little pond rather than swimming with the big fish. I have an affinity with Nairn County but the will have to be at the very top of their game to match the Rose who would beat Auchinleck about 7 times out of ten. They had a rare off day in the Junior Cup Final day.

Come on the Wee County (I would be there to support you but I will be loving watching ICT stuffing debt ridden Killie at Rugby Dump)

• 5 weeks later...