Billy MacKay Northern Ireland

izzy

• 8 months later...

Delighted to read that Billy's in Northern Ireland's 22-man squad for their glamour trip to South America. Games against Uruguay and Chile beckon, teams who are preparing for the World Cup on their 'home' continent. He'll hopefully get game time in at least one of the fixtures - maybe even play against Suarez...

The only reservation I've got is that the guy really needs a rest! He was the only player to feature in all 46 of our games this season and did look jaded and his sharpness wasn't quite there in the latter part of the campaign - but he's obviously very much part of Northern Irelands plans.

• Agree 1

Glad to see that even through his baron spell and ultimately most disappointing period in a good while that he's still looked upon to be part of the squad. Great that O'Neill is showing faith, regardless.

• Agree 2

• 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Interesting to see that Scotland have a home fixture lined-up for March against Billy's Northern Ireland!

Obviously, I hope he's still with us - and it would be great to see him line up (or play some part) against Scotland.

No doubt he'll open his international account in this particular game - that sort of thing tends to happen in football!

I think it will be the first time an ICT player has played against Scotland. (if he gets a game)

• Agree 1

• 3 months later...

Despite an inauspicious start to his Wigan career, Billy has retained his place in the Northern Ireland squad for their forthcoming internationals.

Aye - in fairness they've also picked one of the Newcastle Five at Ayebroke who is long-term injured...

I have some sympathy for Billy. Unless there is something of a miracle at Wigan, he'll be in League 1 next season and it looks like he's the bench-warmer just now. A classic case of a misfiring team with problems all over the park - I know! let's bring in a goalscorer (and leave him on the bench), that'll solve it. Still, at least he's earning decent dosh just now.

You have to question why they went out and paid a transfer fee for a player coming to the end of his contract, then just stuck him in the reserves. Barmy decision. He was on red hot form when he arrived, now he'll probably need a run of games just to get match fit.

£150k is petty cash to them and it's given Billy a contract with a degree of finanacial security, which he more than deserves, but as I have said before he's heading, if not already reached, footballing oblivion. 

• Agree 1