They Came On Trial...

Renegade

Trialists.   We've had many of them of over the years and while some were signed up and were both great successes and tragic failures, others have disappeared into the mists of time.

So aside from those who were signed up, who else have we had over the years?  How many of them them were missed chances?  And how many of them were lucky escapes?

I think we should go one at a time, it's more fun that way!

I'll start us off - 

Vladimirs Koļesņičenko - A Latvian international attacking midfielder who came on trial at the same time as Pavels Mihadjuks.  Brewster decided not to sign him.  Seems afterwards he played for clubs in Azerbaijan and the Ukraine as well as two spells at Skonto Riga, who he is now chairman of!  They also have Nauris Bulvitis playing for them as well!  

Edited by Renegade

"Giant" Gianni Joinville.  Can't remember what year it was, possible Brewster era, but he did some pre-season with us which I think included a game at Dingwall.

Since then he's been in the 6th tier of French football, which consists of regional amatuer leagues.

Who was that Portuguese lad that appeared on the bench v. Hearts last season, that had a dozen clubs but had hardly featured for any of them!?

Also, that Latvian (?) U21 that played for our U20 team quite a bit last season signed for Elgin City if I recall correctly...

"Giant" Gianni Joinville.  Can't remember what year it was, possible Brewster era, but he did some pre-season with us which I think included a game at Dingwall.

Since then he's been in the 6th tier of French football, which consists of regional amatuer leagues.

I had the ehm...."honour" of seeing him play!  He played at the last pre-season friendly away to County (and had also away to Peterhead prior to that IIRC), a few weeks before Charlie Christie resigned.  

He was quite simply, horrendous.

Who was that Portuguese lad that appeared on the bench v. Hearts last season, that had a dozen clubs but had hardly featured for any of them!?

Also, that Latvian (?) U21 that played for our U20 team quite a bit last season signed for Elgin City if I recall correctly...

Andre Martins was indeed signed up and then released quite soon after.  Strangely, his next team was Goais in the Brazilian top flight.  He was released quite quickly again though.  Apparently in South America, he has since been revealed as a con artist.  Saw him play in an U20 match.  He was also terrible.

Dachi Khutsishvili was on trial all season with the U20s but from what I can see was never actually signed.  Looked promising though when I saw him.

Here's another one - 

Sean Evans - An English-born, former Welsh U21 left winger who came in on trial from Manchester United and was apparently highly rated by Alex Ferguson.  Played against Clach and County in friendlies in 2008 and was rather unimpressive and thus not signed by Brewster.  Seems after being released by Man U, he went to Aberystwyth Town, AFC Telford and a few other low league English clubs.  He's now at Stourbridge in the Southern Premier League.

Edited by Renegade

Adriano Pellegrino, that was it. Was here in July 2004 before our first SPL season. 

From Daily Record.

AUSTRALIAN striker Adriano Pellegrino has been told he will not be offered a contract with Inverness Caley Thistle.

Pellegrino arrived in the Highlands 10 days ago hoping to earn a deal.
However, the former Adelaide United star, who had netted seven goals in his last two games for Australian semi-pro club Western Strikers, failed to impress in training and in a friendly against Forfar.
Thistle are still seeking replacements for the departed David  Bingham and Paul Ritchie, who netted 39 goals between them last season.
However, director of football Graeme Bennett insists Pellegrino is not what they are looking for.

Bennett said: 'Adriano has not been offered a contract because he is not any better that what we have already got.   [ie Bayne & Hislop!)
'We are wanting players who are going to challenge for first-team places and we did not think he was going to be able to do that.'

Since then he seems to have dropped back into midfield and has had a very decent career with the likes of Perth Glory. In 2010 he was back in Scotland, having a trial with Motherwell and claiming to have interest from Celtic.

Edited by Yngwie

Anyone remember Kerrea Gilbert? Defender who got offered a deal then promptly took off down South on another trial. He has subsequently disappeared into obscurity. 

Sorry but had to have my say on Mackay-Steven, the last time this subject was mentioned it sparked a mass topic on here, i hope this dosent happen again, past needs be left as the past. We would have signed him but he was facing a lengthy spell out and understandably the club didnt want to invest money in someone who wasnt going to play. He didnt join when he was offered a pay as you play terms (an understandable offer at the time given his past injury problems). We havent fallen apart without him signing and i dont think we are going to...

• Agree 2

From what I remember about Kerrea Gilbert (who looked alright actually, similar type of full back to Kenny Gillet), he was on trial and got injured and Butcher told him that when his injury had cleared up he would sign him.  He then went down and played a game for MK Dons and Butcher cancelled the contract offer.  After spells with Yeovil and Shamrock Rovers (who's fans gave him a terrible write up), his last club was Maidenhead United.  It seems though he's no longer there and has since disappeared into the mists of time.

Edited by Renegade

An article about Pusic mentioned that at the same time we had a young forward called Phil Marsh, who had been released by Man Utd.

He eventually signed for Blackpool but never played for them, and has since made his way through 8 non-league clubs including FC Utd of Manchester, and is now at Guiseley.

Airdrie United and former Real Mallorca midfielder Jamie Stevenson came on trial in 2011 and played in a few pre-season games, where IIRC he was rather mediocre.  Seems he re-signed for Airdrie afterwards and now plays for Cowdenbeath.

Edited by Renegade

We would have signed him but he was facing a lengthy spell out and understandably the club didnt want to invest money in someone who wasnt going to play.

Like Chris Hogg?!...  :amazed:

Chris Hogg had been playing for the club for around 6 months before he got injured.

Edited by AJS
  • Agree 1

Sam Oji - Centre-back who came on trial in 2010, formerly of Arsenal and Birmingham.  Never featured in a friendly match though (he might have gotten injured IIRC), and was never offered a deal.  Went on to play in Sweden, as well as for Tamworth.  He now plays for Limerick.

Here's a few names to add to the 'where are they now?' trialist list...

Dan Wagaluka (a Ugandan that failed to win a deal a few seasons back)

Chris de Wagt and Melvin Holwijn (a Dutch defender and striker in 2009/10 pre-season)

Kiran Bechan and Ibrahim Atiku, 2 wingers that Brewster had on trial at the same time as Wagaluka...in the end he signed none of them.

Edited by AJS