They Came On Trial...

Renegade

Liam Buchanan - Then Cowdenbeath striker came on trial in 2006, before eventually opting for Partick instead.  He later played in the SPL for Dunfermline, and for some reason always used to come alive against us!  He later played for Sligo Rovers, Airdrie and Ayr, and is now at East Fife.  His dad has some trouble with the law at some point as well IIRC.

That's right, Liam's car was seized as it was purchased using the proceeds of his dad's heroin dealing. 

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/scottish-news/thistle-star-buchanan-has-car-seized-967220

David Moran - Ex-Manchester United keeper who played away to Huntly and then in a home game against Elgin in 2002.  Seemingly, he didn't do much wrong and was looked at as a potential replacement for Nicky Walker.  Steve Paterson decided not to offer him a deal and signed Mark Brown instead.  Seemingly his most recent clubs were Bootle FC and Ashton Athletic who both play in the North West Counties Premier Division.  Apparently, he's now a labourer and plays Sunday League football.

I see we also had a keeper playing that pre-season named Bennett.  Surely that can't be Graeme filling in!

Edited by Renegade

• 3 weeks later...

Also from the Christie era, there were 2 Austrians who were supposed to be arriving in time for our Italian training camp in 2007. Their trial got rescheduled until afterwards because one was injured, but they never materialised. Just for the record they were:

Dominique Taboga - defender. Has since appeared in Austria's top 2 divisions.

Benedict Bauer - striker. Been playing in Austria's regional leagues ever since.

Re Dominiuqe Taboga: He went to the police on Monday claiming to be blackmailed by the betting mafia. This led to former Austrian international Sanel Kuljic and two other guys being prosecuted yesterday when they attempted to receive 3000 Euros from Taboga. His club Grodig was involved in some strange matches this season, including a 7-1 win with 3 red cards for the opponents, all correctly issued for professional fouls in the box.

• 3 weeks later...

Also from the Christie era, there were 2 Austrians who were supposed to be arriving in time for our Italian training camp in 2007. Their trial got rescheduled until afterwards because one was injured, but they never materialised. Just for the record they were:

Dominique Taboga - defender. Has since appeared in Austria's top 2 divisions.

Benedict Bauer - striker. Been playing in Austria's regional leagues ever since.

Re Dominiuqe Taboga: He went to the police on Monday claiming to be blackmailed by the betting mafia. This led to former Austrian international Sanel Kuljic and two other guys being prosecuted yesterday when they attempted to receive 3000 Euros from Taboga. His club Grodig was involved in some strange matches this season, including a 7-1 win with 3 red cards for the opponents, all correctly issued for professional fouls in the box.

I was just going to mention this

• Agree 1

Did you read the latest development, Rival? Taboga himself got arrested on Wednesday for being the main culprit in the affair, with 26ish matches fixed for penalties, red cards and the like, and nearly all of them involving Grodig or his former club Kapfenberg. Seems ICT were lucky that he didn't turn up at that training camp.

Liam Buchanan - Then Cowdenbeath striker came on trial in 2006, before eventually opting for Partick instead.  He later played in the SPL for Dunfermline, and for some reason always used to come alive against us!  He later played for Sligo Rovers, Airdrie and Ayr, and is now at East Fife.  His dad has some trouble with the law at some point as well IIRC.

That's right, Liam's car was seized as it was purchased using the proceeds of his dad's heroin dealing. 

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/scottish-news/thistle-star-buchanan-has-car-seized-967220

Yet another guy who turned up at Whitehill Welfare :lol:

Did a couple of sessions in pre-season training. Was never going to be within Whitehill's budget but the rumours didn't half scare the shyte out of the opposition :lol:

• Agree 1

Did you read the latest development, Rival? Taboga himself got arrested on Wednesday for being the main culprit in the affair, with 26ish matches fixed for penalties, red cards and the like, and nearly all of them involving Grodig or his former club Kapfenberg. Seems ICT were lucky that he didn't turn up at that training camp.

I heard that he blamed Kuljic?sp for pressurising him into doing it, I'll have to read more about it

That's correct Rival, though it turned out that Kuljic (you actually spelled him correctly) had borrowed him about 80K Euros for furniture which Taboga wasn't able to pay back for reasons I can't fathom. While the average wages in the Austrian league are not in the millions (maybe except Salzburg), he should have been on around 3K a week. But I guess you're aware of that given your avatar picture.

That's correct Rival, though it turned out that Kuljic (you actually spelled him correctly) had borrowed him about 80K Euros for furniture which Taboga wasn't able to pay back for reasons I can't fathom. While the average wages in the Austrian league are not in the millions (maybe except Salzburg), he should have been on around 3K a week. But I guess you're aware of that given your avatar picture.

Didn't realise about the borrowing! Thanks for keeping me up to date

• 2 weeks later...

Liam Molesworth!  Seemed a bit of a cocky wee lad who scored against Brora or somewhere from what I remember in a North of Scotland Cup match.  Was looking him up the other day funnily enough and I see he was at The Cove SC in the South Australia State League after trials with Kilmarnock and Bouremouth.  He's now at the wildly named Adelaide Blue Eagles in the South Australian Super League (probably a standard akin to the Highland League).

Molesworth now plays in Division 2 of the Midland Football Combination for Bromsgrove Sporting.

I also see that his boastful and exaggerated Wikipedia page is now gone altogether. In fact, when you put his name into the Wikipedia search box, it helpfully asks "Did you mean Liam Polworth?" :lol:

• Agree 1

• 2 months later...

Liam Molesworth!  Seemed a bit of a cocky wee lad who scored against Brora or somewhere from what I remember in a North of Scotland Cup match.  Was looking him up the other day funnily enough and I see he was at The Cove SC in the South Australia State League after trials with Kilmarnock and Bouremouth.  He's now at the wildly named Adelaide Blue Eagles in the South Australian Super League (probably a standard akin to the Highland League).

Molesworth now plays in Division 2 of the Midland Football Combination for Bromsgrove Sporting.

I also see that his boastful and exaggerated Wikipedia page is now gone altogether. In fact, when you put his name into the Wikipedia search box, it helpfully asks "Did you mean Liam Polworth?" :lol:

I'm a Bromsgrove lad myself and keep abreast of what's going on with the club there.  I'll have you know that far from playing in the depths of Divsion 2, Bromsgrove Sporting are currently 2nd in the Premier Division.  Liam returned to his home town side in November and as far as I am aware just played a couple of games.  He is not listed in the current first team squad so I don't know what has happened to him.  Sounds to me as if he is someone who hasn't got the right attitude and isn't prepared to work hard enough to play football at even a half decent level.

According to his Twitter page, Molesworth is back in Australia playing for West Adelaide Soccer Club in the South Australia Premier League (the same league as his previous club Adelaide Blue Eagles.  What's a blue eagle?  I don't know!).

I looked up his page a few months ago and he was writing a letter to Virgin Trains or something saying why he shouldn't be banned!  Sounds a bit of a tube.

Edited by Renegade

• 2 months later...

I see the ICT legend Molesworth recently signed for a Swedish club called Athletic Football Club United, who play in the northern section of the 3rd tier. 

The club resulted from a merger a few years ago, and obviously opted for a name that wouldn't offend either faction.  They'll be looking forward to their derby against City Rovers Town.

I wish I could remember him!

Just been reading that Filipe Morais has become a 'free agent'. I always liked what I saw of him. I wonder if he was at Hibs when Yogi was manager!? Wages would be the problem I suppose. Although Tansey has just come from the same club, Stevenage! But, to be honest, any money we've got to spend needs to be for an out-right striker.

That's priority. We won't 'get away' with one forward for another season!

• 1 month later...

I don't know if he was ever officially a "trialist" or rather our shortest ever signing, but whatever happened to Harry Hooman?  You may remember that he either did or was going to signing with us and started pre-season training last year along with the other batch of new signings (Greenhalgh, Williams, Watkins etc.), but then had a problem with a metal plate in his foot.   I've tried looking to see where he is now, but he seems to have disappeared into the midsts of time.

I don't know if he was ever officially a "trialist" or rather our shortest ever signing, but whatever happened to Harry Hooman?  You may remember that he either did or was going to signing with us and started pre-season training last year along with the other batch of new signings (Greenhalgh, Williams, Watkins etc.), but then had a problem with a metal plate in his foot.   I've tried looking to see where he is now, but he seems to have disappeared into the midsts of time.

I remember Butcher saying that he could sign for us once his foot injury was cleared up but I guess nothing materialised from that or we simply didn't need him anymore.

He went home where ever that is to try and recover and if he had recovered then butcher would think about signing him again. 

He played for Shrewsbury at one point and I think was playing for Bath City before coming to us.  Nowhere seems to suggest he's signed for anywhere since.  Wonder if his football career is over.

• 2 weeks later...

Kiran Bechan and Ibrahim Atiku, 2 wingers that Brewster had on trial at the same time as Wagaluka...in the end he signed none of them.

Seemingly after Atiku's deal with us fell through, he played in Sweden and then Greece (he turned down a three year deal at his previous club in Cyprus to go on trial with us) and was called up to the Ghana national team in 2011 before the match got cancelled due to the London riots!  Apparently, he later signed for Swindon leaving before ever playing a game and has never played since.

He was also once on trial with Michael Essien at Man United after good performances in the U17 World Cup in New Zealand but the contract offer fell through after work permit issues.  He was also on trial at Borussia Dortmund at one time and was regarded as the next big Ghanian player but it never came to be.

Edited by Renegade

Enrique Pia - Colombian centre-back on trial in 2008 around the same time as Daniel Wagaluka.  He'd previously played in Venezuela and deemed not big and dominant enough by Brewster.

• 3 months later...

I'm not sure if they were ever on trial,  but we were strongly linked with Alan O'Brien and Wes Thomas a few years back.  O'Brien is now at Hungerford Town, while Thomas is at Birmingham City.

Edited by Renegade