Football tops: Are they still fashionable?

BornCaley

I just wanted to gauge some opinion and hoping to get the views of my fellow ICT supporters.

Ive been thinking of a potential business seeing as the employment market is gash! Some years ago! 1997 to be honest,  I did a business plan for a Football shop which only sold tops (both new & retro). Bare in mind this was not a sports shop but a fashion shop.   Euro 96 was just finished and France 98 was around the corner and there seemed to be a trend happening with men & women wearing retro tops! I think I had an Argentinan one myself.

These days I still see people wearing them but not to the same degree as years before. So are they still fashionable. Also the Internet was in its infancy back then and I think only Ebay & Amazon were the only 2 doing any real business in online shopping terms.

Today the high street is in suffering and the internet seems the only way a small business retailer can survive so I am undecided whether a high street or Internet only presence is required. 

Maybe you could take a few moments to answer the following questions. These will be treated confidentially and merely used as part of my own research into the idea. If you want to post your response here or PM me either is fine by me. Many thanks in advance.

1. DO YOU OR HAVE YOU EVER WORN A NORMALL FOOTBALL SHIRT? Y/N

2. IF YES! WHAT CLUB OR COUNTRY DID YOU CHOOSE TO WEAR?

3. DO YOU OR HAVE YOU EVER WORN A RETRO FOOTBALL SHIRT? Y/N

4. IF YES! WHAT CLUB OR COUNTRY DID YOU CHOOSE TO WEAR?

5. DO YOU PREFER TO WEAR A NEW OR RETRO FOOTBALL TOP?

a. New

b. Retro

c. Both

6. DO YOU WEAR YOUR TOP OTHER THAN TO A FOORTBALL MATCH? Y/N

7. WHERE DO YOU BUY YOUR FOOTBALL SHIRTS FROM?  

a. My supported club * either online or in person

b. Elsewhere online

c. High street shop

8. WHAT WAS THE REASON FOR YOUR CHOICE?

a. Gives money back to the club

b. Gives money to boost the local economy

c. Price

d. Easier

e. Other

9. IF YOU WERE TO BUY A FOOTBALL TOP IN THE FUTURE; EITHER NEW OR RETRO, WHERE WOULD YOU BUT IT FROM?

a. The club i support

b. Elsewhere online

c. High Street shop

10. WOULD LOYALTY TO YOUR CLUB OR COUNTRY STOP YOU FROM WEARING A RETRO TOP FROM ANOTHER CLUB OR COUNTRY? Y/N

Edited by BornCaley

I would suggest that online is the only way to get a venture like this up and running without incurring big start-up losses.

The only way I can see a high street presence working at all would be to get the products stocked in other peoples shops (be it sports or fashion outlets). Your margins would be low, but you don't get involved in leases and staffing and theft and all the other associated difficulties and risks.

As a teenager i would wear all kinds of football tops, whether it was new internationals or retro club shirts. Every time i would go on holiday somewhere i would pick up a local teams shirt or an international top.  Recently i just cleaned out my loft and got rid of all these tops keeping only my retro and ICT shirts.

I don't think it is as fashionable to wear football shirts these days but i also put it down to getting older as they are mostly suited to kids/teenagers.

1. DO YOU OR HAVE YOU EVER WORN A NORMALL FOOTBALL SHIRT? YES

2. IF YES! WHAT CLUB OR COUNTRY DID YOU CHOOSE TO WEAR?  Mostly ICT but as said i would wear buy tops from all over the world when visiting places.

3. DO YOU OR HAVE YOU EVER WORN A RETRO FOOTBALL SHIRT? YES

4. IF YES! WHAT CLUB OR COUNTRY DID YOU CHOOSE TO WEAR? I had a Norway shirt from 1936,  Russia goalie top from the 60's, Boca Juniors from early 80's with Maradona's number on it and an old Dutch top too.

5. DO YOU PREFER TO WEAR A NEW OR RETRO FOOTBALL TOP?  These days i like the retro style tops as they are more fashionable.

6. DO YOU WEAR YOUR TOP OTHER THAN TO A FOORTBALL MATCH? As a teenager all the time, now i only wear football shirts if i'm having a very casual day.

7. WHERE DO YOU BUY YOUR FOOTBALL SHIRTS FROM?  Always online these days, either at ebay or ICT club shop.

More selection than most shops on ebay.

9. IF YOU WERE TO BUY A FOOTBALL TOP IN THE FUTURE; EITHER NEW OR RETRO, WHERE WOULD YOU BUT IT FROM?

ICT online or Ebay or similar football shirt shop online.

10. WOULD LOYALTY TO YOUR CLUB OR COUNTRY STOP YOU FROM WEARING A RETRO TOP FROM ANOTHER CLUB OR COUNTRY? NO.

• Agree 1

I just wanted to gauge some opinion and hoping to get the views of my fellow ICT supporters.

Ive been thinking of a potential business seeing as the employment market is gash! Some years ago! 1997 to be honest,  I did a business plan for a Football shop which only sold tops (both new & retro). Bare in mind this was not a sports shop but a fashion shop.   Euro 96 was just finished and France 98 was around the corner and there seemed to be a trend happening with men & women wearing retro tops! I think I had an Argentinan one myself.

These days I still see people wearing them but not to the same degree as years before. So are they still fashionable. Also the Internet was in its infancy back then and I think only Ebay & Amazon were the only 2 doing any real business in online shopping terms.

Today the high street is in suffering and the internet seems the only way a small business retailer can survive so I am undecided whether a high street or Internet only presence is required. 

Maybe you could take a few moments to answer the following questions. These will be treated confidentially and merely used as part of my own research into the idea. If you want to post your response here or PM me either is fine by me. Many thanks in advance.

1. DO YOU OR HAVE YOU EVER WORN A NORMALL FOOTBALL SHIRT? Yes

2. IF YES! WHAT CLUB OR COUNTRY DID YOU CHOOSE TO WEAR? Brazil, Scotland, Newcastle, ICT

3. DO YOU OR HAVE YOU EVER WORN A RETRO FOOTBALL SHIRT? Yes

4. IF YES! WHAT CLUB OR COUNTRY DID YOU CHOOSE TO WEAR? Brazil, Newcastle

5. DO YOU PREFER TO WEAR A NEW OR RETRO FOOTBALL TOP?

a. New

b. Retro

c. Both

6. DO YOU WEAR YOUR TOP OTHER THAN TO A FOORTBALL MATCH? No

7. WHERE DO YOU BUY YOUR FOOTBALL SHIRTS FROM?  

a. My supported club * either online or in person

b. Elsewhere online

c. High street shop

a. Gives money back to the club

b. Gives money to boost the local economy

c. Price

d. Easier

e. Other

a. The club i support

b. Elsewhere online

c. High Street shop

10. WOULD LOYALTY TO YOUR CLUB OR COUNTRY STOP YOU FROM WEARING A RETRO TOP FROM ANOTHER CLUB OR COUNTRY? No

Edited by SMEE
  • Agree 1

1. DO YOU OR HAVE YOU EVER WORN A NORMALL FOOTBALL SHIRT? YES

2. IF YES! WHAT CLUB OR COUNTRY DID YOU CHOOSE TO WEAR? ITALIA (2006)

3. DO YOU OR HAVE YOU EVER WORN A RETRO FOOTBALL SHIRT? NO

4. IF YES! WHAT CLUB OR COUNTRY DID YOU CHOOSE TO WEAR?

5. DO YOU PREFER TO WEAR A NEW OR RETRO FOOTBALL TOP? BOTH

6. DO YOU WEAR YOUR TOP OTHER THAN TO A FOOTBALL MATCH? YES

7. WHERE DO YOU BUY YOUR FOOTBALL SHIRTS FROM? HIGH STREET SHOP

8. WHAT WAS THE REASON FOR YOUR CHOICE?  PRICE

9. IF YOU WERE TO BUY A FOOTBALL TOP IN THE FUTURE; EITHER NEW OR RETRO, WHERE WOULD YOU BUT IT FROM? THE CLUB I SUPPORT

10. WOULD LOYALTY TO YOUR CLUB OR COUNTRY STOP YOU FROM WEARING A RETRO TOP FROM ANOTHER CLUB OR COUNTRY? NO

• Agree 1

1. DO YOU OR HAVE YOU EVER WORN A NORMALL FOOTBALL SHIRT? Yes

2. IF YES! WHAT CLUB OR COUNTRY DID YOU CHOOSE TO WEAR? ICTFC, MUFC, Scotland, Australia 

3. DO YOU OR HAVE YOU EVER WORN A RETRO FOOTBALL SHIRT? Yes 

4. IF YES! WHAT CLUB OR COUNTRY DID YOU CHOOSE TO WEAR? Scotland

5. DO YOU PREFER TO WEAR A NEW OR RETRO FOOTBALL TOP? New

6. DO YOU WEAR YOUR TOP OTHER THAN TO A FOOTBALL MATCH? YES

7. WHERE DO YOU BUY YOUR FOOTBALL SHIRTS FROM? Online

8. WHAT WAS THE REASON FOR YOUR CHOICE?  Design of the shirt, price, colour.

9. IF YOU WERE TO BUY A FOOTBALL TOP IN THE FUTURE; EITHER NEW OR RETRO, WHERE WOULD YOU BUT IT FROM? ICTFC Club Shop

10. WOULD LOYALTY TO YOUR CLUB OR COUNTRY STOP YOU FROM WEARING A RETRO TOP FROM ANOTHER CLUB OR COUNTRY? NO

• Agree 1