Names on .top

WYNESS101

Noticed last night that dundee had there names on there tops but watching the Falkirk game the night they dont. Thought it was only the SPL that had names on there top and the other three divisions were 1 to 11

New thing since its the championship now?

Edited by WYNESS101

I believe it was changed this year, and now Championship teams can have names and squad numbers, just squad numbers and no names (like Falkirk tonight), or can go 1-11.  Strangely, the Highland League has the same rules!

Names and numbers are compulsory from next season in the Championship though I think.

Edited by Renegade

I know that those in the media probably feel obliged to but are we, as ordinary fans, going to go along with the farce of calling the second tier of football in this country ' The Championship' ?

I totally agree, it sounds terrible! Much better with the old First Division.

I know that those in the media probably feel obliged to but are we, as ordinary fans, going to go along with the farce of calling the second tier of football in this country ' The Championship' ?

It's really the old 2nd Division but i'll accept 1st Division, the Championship it certainly is not.

It's a daft name for the second tier. Winning a championship should be the ultimate accolade, by definition. ie The Wimbledon Championships, World snooker/darts/chess Championships etc.

With the formation of the SPFL from the scrapping of the SFL and SPL, this would have been a good chance to rebrand the leagues as 1st, 2nd, 3rd and 4th divisions.

Calling leagues anything else just confuses what actual level they're at.

The Scottish Rugby set-up also has nonsensical naming with Premiership, National league, Championship A, Championship B….

IIRC the Aberdeen darts league are guilty of having their ‘1st’ division as the FOURTH tier…below the Premier League (tier 3) which is below the Super Premier (tier 2) which is below the Super League (tier 1)….! :amazed:

I believe it was changed this year, and now Championship teams can have names and squad numbers, just squad numbers and no names (like Falkirk tonight), or can go 1-11.  Strangely, the Highland League has the same rules!

I think the only team in the HL who deals with names and numbers is Nairn, think Wick have their own squad numbers but no names on back of the shirts