A Picture of Heaven

IMMORTAL HOWDEN ENDER

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

RESPECT

A HIGHLAND League legend is to be honoured by his hometown club on Saturday – a decade after he passed away.

Davy Johnston, who scored 286 goals in 279 appearances for Nairn County and 156 goals for Inverness Caledonian in 188 games, has had a new enclosure named after him at Station Park – a stone’s throw from the house where he grew up in Nairn’s Shanghai housing scheme.

The enclosure was completed earlier this year after three years of fundraising by the club and its fans.

It cost more than £100,000 to construct with the Nairn supporters contributing £56,000 and the rest being made up from the contributions of benefactors, Highland Council and the Co-op Community Fund.

There was also a significant effort made by the club’s previous main sponsors Narden – both financial and in free labour hours – towards the project, with the additional contribution of a substantial, four-figure sum towards the settlement of the final invoice upon their summer departure on top of all previous investment.

Fans were invited to choose a name for the enclosure and County legend Johnston, who scored 73 goals in 46 games during the 1963/64 season for Nairn, came out at the top of the poll. He died in 2004 but his goalscoring exploits remain part of Highland League folklore.

Celebrations will be held to mark the naming of the new enclosure on Saturday when Nairn County play Rothes in the Highland League, with former players invited to join.

Legend.jpg

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sRn2D-FMzYs

Rory Gallagher plays the Howden End!!

I was looking for something else, and stumbled across this.  Just over 2 minutes of silent colour film of Taste playing at Telford Street in 1970.  (Wrongly captioned as being at Clach's ground.)   I have never seen this before.  There are a couple of quick sweeps of the ground, but you won't recognise anyone.

By coincidence, tomorrow, March 1st, is the 44th anniversary of his legendary show in the Caley Hotel - my first proper rock gig.  I thought they were all going to be like that!

And March 2nd would have been his 69th birthday. 

Still sorely missed.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

1955.  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1954–55_Scottish_Cup#Fifth_round

Result was 1-1. Caley won the replay 2-4, and then got tanked 0-7 by Falkirk.

Accepting advertising from the competition - "George B Rodgers ex Chelsea FC" :amazed:     I suppose his money was as good as anyone else's :wink:

Edited by snorbens_caleyman
Definitely 1955, not "probably".

• 1 year later...

Malcolm Slater (3rd from right, back row) was my next-door-neighbour during this period. He was a friendly bloke - drove a VW Beetle.

He had got married whilst he was playing down south at Orient or Southend, and I don't think his wife had ever been north of Watford. She told us that she had fully expected to be digging her way out of the house all through the winter, and was surprised to find that it wasn't that bad.

I always picture Malcolm hanging about on the wing, looking very cold, with his hands up inside his sleeves. He used to hit the most beautiful crosses - I was convinced that they defied gravity and hung in the air over the box, before plummeting down. A fine player.

I have no idea what happened to him.  His Wikipedia page doesn't even know that he came back to Caley - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Malcolm_Slater

Johnny 'come latelys', all of them.   Anyone got a photo of the 1951 team?    Now, that  was an eleven to savour!

Bruce

McGillvary    Maronski

Bolt   McKinnon   McIntosh

McBeth   Jamieson   Mitchell  MacKenzie   Fraser

A nice 2/3/5 formation too.  Scare the pants of modern formations.

All you have to do is ask!

From Alex Main's centenary history "Caley All The Way".     (If you are the copyright holder and object, please let me know.)

1848034002_caley1951s.jpg.a59a2a3467d08e60e788791087a9bea1.jpg

The team is listed a couple of pages later in the book, and matches your line-up perfectly.

Nice to see "Porridge" MacKintosh in both photos.  I remember his daughter from, I guess, primary school. She was called Roberta, but more often, like her father, she was "Bobby"!

• Like 1