Penalty-kick taker?

Sneckboy

If James Vincent (Terry's publically declared first choice) is to be out injured for a while, who should assume the mantle of our spot-kick taker?

I don't see why Aaron Doran couldn't step up! I think he'd be excellent - a wee 'faint' on the run-up, then effortlessly guiding it passed the already commited 'keeper!

Anyway, for the record, here's the list of our current squad's players' records from 12 yards. (in chronological order order from left to right,  i.e. Billy has missed his most recent 3) - still not too shabby, 7 from 10, but I agree with Terry, 3 misses in-a-row means it's time to step aside.

But I'd have no qualms about Billy stepping-up and taking one if we had a shoot-out against Dundee United in the League Cup quarter-final!

Richie Foran  X X Y     

Graeme Shinnie Y Y Y X    

Aoran Doran Y       

Ross Draper Y       

Billy McKay Y Y Y Y Y Y Y X X X

James Vincent Y       

• Agree 1

^^^

In one off situations, centre-backs can hit them in! You're right Renegade.

David O'Leary netted a crucial one for the Republic of Ireland in a World Cup knock-out and Brian Irvine scored the winner (I think) for Aberdeen when they last won the cup in 1990.

I suppose it is one thing practising penalties in training and quite another taking one in a pressurised match situaton, but it always surprises me just how many are missed.  Let's face it, the goal gives you a fair bit to aim at and if you hit it pretty hard and close to the post then it doesn't matter how good the keeper is, they are not going to save it.  Professional footballers ought to be able to hit the target area that the keeper can't realistically get to with a high degree of regularity.  Too many players try to pass the ball into the bottom corner and if the keeper guesses correctly, there is a good chance it will be saved.  Just welly it and 9 times out of 10 you should score.

Some of you will remember the Scot Ray Stewart who played for West Ham in the 80s.  He scored 81 of 86 penalties in his career and simply ran up and hit the ball as hard as he could.  Both feet were off the ground when the ball ripped into the back of the net.  All the keepers knew what he was going to do but there was nothing they could do but hope that they managed to get a bit a bit of their body in the way and not be maimed by doing so.

• Agree 1

I think that's definitely the best ever - what a record!! 48 from 49.

Another good penalty stat here...The Czech Republic have been involved in penalty shoot-outs over the years and have won all them all, scoring 20 successful goals and missing NONE!

David Unsworth was a prolific penalty taker (Everton, Portsmouth, Wigan, etc). I dont know how many he took but I believe he only missed one penalty in his career. 

• 2 months later...

Never mind penalties! what about someone who can take a free kick from the edge of the box and actually hit the target, cant mind how many free kicks we get that end in complete and utter failure. 

• Agree 2