Penalty-kick taker?

Sneckboy

If we were still level on penalties after our 9 remaining players had taken theirs, what would have happened, as Hearts would still have had two players?

Hearts had to nominate two players who wouldn't take part.

They would ask people behind the goals if anyone fancied taking a penalty................................... :crazy:

I think we should sell the video of that shoot out to Man Utd. 

Shinnie's was a poor kick but the other four were top class penalties with Tansey's being the pick of the bunch.  I can't see Aberdeen wanting the final to go to penalties.

Who will be our regular penalty taker now?  Note that Vincent, who was our nominated penalty taker before getting injured, had been subbed after 90 minutes and couldn't take one. 

To be honest, Aberdeen have been good at penalties of late. They struggled past Alloa Athletic at Pittodrie in the 2nd Round of this competition - before we'd even got involved! - on penalties...but they got 6 out of 6. And, in all competitions they've netted 13 from their last 15 pens.

I wish I hadn't done it now, but I texted a mate in Aberdeen after they'd scraped by Alloa..."you'll probably win it now" Tongue in cheek. Fook!

• 1 month later...

Update after yesterday.

Penalties taken for ICT. (Last: Aaron Doran (scored) v. Aberdeen 16th March 2014)

Aaron Doran (100%) Y Y Y

Ross Draper (100%) Y Y   

James Vincent (100%) Y

Nick Ross (80%) Y Y X Y Y

Greg Tansey (67%) Y Y X

Billy McKay (67%) Y  Y  Y  Y  Y  Y  Y  X  X  X  Y X

Graeme Shinnie (60%) Y Y X Y X

Richie Foran (33%) X Y X

Is it a coincidence that the 2 successful penalty takers yesterday were both subs, ie not someone who has bust a gut for 120 mins up front on his own or worked his socks off in the heart of midfield. I think not!! A lesson to be learnt perhaps?

P&B

Interesting that when Foran was being fouled, Draper was being manhandled as well to prevent him challenging for the ball.  Draper also had a go at the referee for not awarding a penalty.   Ref let both of them go.  But had a spot kick been awarded then, does anyone know who would have taken it? 

I don't think we should look to much at tiredness being the biggest factor in the penalty misses. We get through to the final playing almost an hour with 10 and about half an hour with 9 and we still looked so assured from the spot. Yesterday we had all 11 on the field and we werent under constant pressure in Et as we were at the semi so i think it is wrong to over analyse it. In the end a penalty shoot out is a lottery, we won to get through we lost yesterday it happens

Penalty shoot-outs are not a lottery.  This a very British attitude, which is seemingly dismissed on the continent.  If you have five Graham Alexanders in your team and a keeper like the former Portugal keeper Ricardo, you're going to win the shootout.  England almost always lose shoot-outs, while Germany seem to win them all.  Is that just a coincidence?

We were disadvantaged by the fact that we'd replaced Foran and Vincent, who'd have definitely taken penalties and *probably* would have scored.  Mckay has never been a good penalty and when Tansey put his over, I knew that was it, but what also helped Aberdeen is that they had Vernon, Robson and Rooney who are all great penalty takers.  Brill diving the same way every time didn't help matters and why don't keepers stay in the middle for one or two?  There's always one that goes down there and Rooney's did.  Disappointing, yes but they're not a lottery.  Only people who lose them call them that.

Edited by Renegade

I wasn't entirely confident in Mckay when he stepped up. I knew where he was going to put it before it was taken and Langfield seemed to read it too. It was a weak penalty.
Tansey, well he went for the top corner and on another day that goes it and great penalty. Keeper is not going to have a chance with it.
Ross again showing nerve and ability in a shoot out situation with a very well taken kick. And Dorans was nice and confident.

Nick Ross would be my 1st choice penalty taker.

I agree with Renegades assessment on penalties. Those teams who work on them, study opposing takers and keepers, pick their best takers tend to win shout outs. There is an element of luck, but that stands for all football. You make a lot of your own luck.

I was never confident going into a shoot out with Mark Brown in goals as he never looked like saving penalties. Good keeper, but useless in that situation. Billy Mckay, for all his prowess in front of goal doesn't fill me with confidence either.

Likes of Pepe Reina, Dida, Ricardo. Every time you think they'll save it if they have a chance. Likes of Gerrard, Le Tissier, Shearer, Alexander. I'd always be confident they'd score, or fear them against my team.

Really? Or does this account include 1976 against Germany and 1980 against Italy where it was Czechoslovakia, including some players that would now be named Slovakians instead of Czechs? But no matter, tell Yogi to look for new players in those two countries!

Really? Or does this account include 1976 against Germany and 1980 against Italy where it was Czechoslovakia, including some players that would now be named Slovakians instead of Czechs? But no matter, tell Yogi to look for new players in those two countries!

Yes it does! FIFA 'recognise' the Czech Republic as the continuous successor to Czechoslovakia, akin to Germany 'taking' the historical results of West Germany.

In addition to the 2 games you mentioned, the Czech Republic also beat France on pens in the semis of Euro 96.

3 shootout wins, with records of 5/5, 9/9 and 6/6.

• 1 month later...

Update.

Penalties taken for ICT. (Last: Aaron Doran (missed) v. Celtic 27th April 2014)

Ross Draper (100%) Y Y   

James Vincent (100%) Y

Aaron Doran (75%) Y Y Y X

Billy McKay (67%) Y  Y  Y  Y  Y  Y  Y  X  X  X  Y X

Greg Tansey (67%) Y Y X

Richie Foran (33%) X Y X

• 5 months later...

Update.

Penalties taken for ICT. (Last: Greg Tansey (scored) v. St. Mirren 18th October 2014)

Ross Draper (100%) Y Y   

James Vincent (100%) Y

Greg Tansey (75%) Y Y X Y

Richie Foran (33%) X Y X

• 1 month later...

Update.

Penalties taken for ICT. (Last: Greg Tansey (scored) v. St. Mirren 2nd December 2014)

Ross Draper (100%) Y Y   

James Vincent (100%) Y

Greg Tansey (80%) Y Y X Y Y

Richie Foran (33%) X Y X

• 2 months later...

Update.

Penalties taken for ICT. (Most recent: Greg Tansey (scored) v. Dundee United 24th February 2015)

Ross Draper (100%) Y Y   

James Vincent (100%) Y

Greg Tansey (83%) Y Y X Y Y Y

Richie Foran (33%) X Y X

Match penalties

Greg Tansey Y Y Y Y (100%)

James Vincent Y (100%)

Richie Foran Y (100%)

Nick Ross Y Y X (67%)

Aaron Doran Y X (50%)

Graeme Shinnie Y X (50%)

Penalty shoot-outs

Ross Draper Y Y (100%)

Aaron Doran Y Y (100%)

Nick Ross Y Y (100%)

Graeme Shinnie Y Y X (67%)

Greg Tansey Y X (50%)

Richie Foran X X (0%)

Combined total (* = penalty shoot-out)

Ross Draper (100%) Y* Y*   

James Vincent (100%) Y

Greg Tansey (83%) Y Y* X* Y Y Y

Nick Ross (80%) Y Y X Y* Y*

Aaron Doran (75%) Y* Y Y* X

Graeme Shinnie (60%) Y* Y X Y* X*

Richie Foran (33%) X* Y X*

• 1 month later...

Update.

Penalties taken for ICT. (Most recent: Greg Tansey (scored) v. Celtic - 19th April 2015)

Match penalties

Greg Tansey Y Y Y Y Y (100%)

James Vincent Y (100%)

Richie Foran Y (100%)

Nick Ross Y Y X (67%)

Aaron Doran Y X (50%)

Graeme Shinnie Y X (50%)

Penalty shoot-outs

Ross Draper Y Y (100%)

Aaron Doran Y Y (100%)

Nick Ross Y Y (100%)

Graeme Shinnie Y Y X (67%)