A decent chippy in Inverness finally opens

psychopomp1

Hi

Moved to Inverness a few years ago from down south but was surprised at a lack of decent fish & chips places in the area. Even the likes of Harry Ramsdens in Inshes are no where near the quality of their branches in England and places like 1st pizza direct are just disgusting. There IS one ok-ish chippy - Hilton Chippy - but its a bit of a drive from where i live in Westhill so i only go there occasionally. Anyway whilst walking along Greig St last night, a new chip shop has opened there (called Vegas chippy or something) so i popped in there and got a large haddock & chips  :tongue:. It just reminded me of the legendary fish suppers i had in Lancashire as a kid...it was that good. Hope this helps other long suffering fish and chips addicts :)

PS

i do NOT work for this chip shop or in any way connected, just sharing my experience.

it took them long enuff to open. Place was ready to rock n roll.....for weeks...but didnt open....then...i went in one day when it was supposed to be open...only to be told that the Fryer and the manager (one and the same person or not???) wallked out that morning.

Im planning going to check the Chippy out this weekend. Hopefully it is good like you say. Its only about 3 mins walk from my pad......if its gash....(al let you all know), i will just wak the 5 minutes in the other direction to Mr Chips.

Its quite handy here....grieg street being so close...with a pub, an indian, a chinese and a chippy all in the same street :)

Personally, I would call it a chipper not a chippy, as in the Chipper Mob.

Hmmm....i do believe.....in my teenage yrs...i referred to the Chip Shop as a Chipper, but nowadays.....its mostly chippy. Maybe i mix it up as i go?

Out of interest...how much was the fish supper? Was it a decent price?

I can't remember exactly but i think it was around 6-7 quid for a large haddock, chips and mushy peas.  Currently they're open 4-10pm 7 days a week but they're planning to open at midday and also will offer home deliveries in the near future :)

Hi

Moved to Inverness a few years ago from down south but was surprised at a lack of decent fish & chips places in the area. Even the likes of Harry Ramsdens in Inshes are no where near the quality of their branches in England and places like 1st pizza direct are just disgusting. There IS one ok-ish chippy - Hilton Chippy - but its a bit of a drive from where i live in Westhill so i only go there occasionally. Anyway whilst walking along Greig St last night, a new chip shop has opened there (called Vegas chippy or something) so i popped in there and got a large haddock & chips  :tongue:. It just reminded me of the legendary fish suppers i had in Lancashire as a kid...it was that good. Hope this helps other long suffering fish and chips addicts :)

PS

i do NOT work for this chip shop or in any way connected, just sharing my experience.

Works at or is connected with the chip shop imo.

Aye, for having stumbled upon it and been in once, he seems to have a remarkable appreciation of their opening and closing times, future plans for lunchtime service and going forward, the likely introduction of home deliveries! And he was so impressed with this **NEW CHIP SHOP OPENING** that he thought he'd register on the forum and share it with us!!! :lol:

Out of interest...how much was the fish supper? Was it a decent price?

I can't remember exactly but i think it was around 6-7 quid for a large haddock, chips and mushy peas.  Currently they're open 4-10pm 7 days a week but they're planning to open at midday and also will offer home deliveries in the near future :)

can ye make it a bit more obvious please?

There IS one ok-ish chippy - Hilton Chippy - but its a bit of a drive from where i live in Westhill so i only go there occasionally. Anyway whilst walking along Greig St last night, a new chip shop has opened there (called Vegas chippy or something)

I would rate the Hilton chippy(er) a lot higher than "OKish" and surely a lot closer to Westhill than Greig Street. It's always the "chucken sapper" that I get and that's just a fiver for what I would say is a pretty large portion. Apart from the quality of the fare in Hilton, I have found the prices consistently lower than anywhere else in Inverness that I've tried.

Ther Kebab House at the bottom of Stephen's Brae is also OK.

• Agree 1

Hi

PS

Ah yes, the chips of Lancashire, coveted the world over by foodies of all nations.

• Agree 1

If yer ever down Grantown way, the chipper/ie on the High St near the Post Office is spot on.

Open from 4pm, 7 days a week, run by an Iranian, he knows how to cook a fish supper. 

By the way I am not connected to the establishment, in any way whatsoever, so no advertising or promoting there wares from me!

Well...i tried out the Vegas Chippy. First thing i noticed was how few chips you get, compared to other chippys. I moved my King Rib out of the way and i could see loads of  big gaps in the chips, and could see the bottom of the container the food was served in. Maybe thats becasue the food was made to order? (as i think they are not yet busy enuff to justify making a pile of food)

But the food its self wasnt so bad. pretty standard fair i would say. Nothing stood out as way better than anywhere else in town. What i did notice is...they have a "Gourmet menu" which has its meat supplied by McDougal And Hastie, so thats a good sign that they at least try and have quality suppliers.

So all in all, id say the Vegas Chippy is just as good as anywhere else in town i have tried, but doenst stand out as good as the OP had lead me to believe. And they need to up the portions a bit.

Id really like to try the Hitlon Chippy these days, just to see how good they are. Then again......i dont enjoy chippys as much these days, as the chips just arent as good as they were back in the day...before all this health freaks got everything changed. I maintain the best chips ever...were my mum and dads homemade chips.....cooked in proper FAT!

Edited by SMEE

I went to the Hilton chippy yesterday to find it shut! Not permanently, I wouldn't think - maybe staff sickness or something...

So, I decided to go into town and try the Vegas! They didn't have chicken legs which was what I really wanted. Chicken breast was on offer but I'm more of a 'leg man'!

I settled on had haddock & chips and can offer no complaints with the food served up. Viva Las Vegas!

• 4 weeks later...