Contract Situation

Sneckboy

I would imagine that with the Scottish cup over, the club will let the fans know who's staying and who's being let go. Would I be right in saying that some of the contracts of players would be until the 30th of June?

I think that's correct. Technically, Shinnie, for example, doesn't officially become a Don until 1st July.

• Agree 1

Majority of contracts are done until the end of May...hence the reasons there was a bit of panic among clubs at possibility of play-off games running in to June.

Purely as an example scenario.....

Imagine if Shinnie was signed with us until end of June....Aberdeen will be back for pre-season mid way through the month to prepare for Euro matches.  Would ICTFC let him train with Aberdeen? The obvious answer is that you would hope they wouldn't stop him....however it's not that simple as he would still be insured as an ICTFC player and we'd be liable if he were to get injured.

What's more, he couldn't transfer as the transfer window isn't open and he needs to be signed by them to be covered by their insurance etc. For that to happen outside the transfer window he needs to be a free agent....hence why contracts, for the most part, expire at the end of May.

You're most likely correct CaleyD, although I did read that it was 1st July for Shinnie (from Monday's P&J). Although your example does make sense.

From Aberdeen close in on deal for Staggies defender Paul Quinn

....source close to the player said: “Paul enjoyed his time at County. However, he sees joining Aberdeen as the right thing to do at this stage of his career.”

Caley Thistle defender and captain Graeme Shinnie will sign for Aberdeen on July 1 after agreeing a three-year pre-contract deal as Dons manager Derek McInnes plans for next season’s Europa League campaign.Pittodrie club captain Russell Anderson has retired, while defender Joe Shaughnessy will move to St Johnstone and midfielder Nicky Low to Dundee.

As mentioned elsewhere, Watkins is essentially gone.  Also heard today that Liam Polworth won't be signing a new deal.  Still no news on Ross though.

Edited by Renegade

As mentioned elsewhere, Watkins is essentially gone. Also heard today that Liam Polworth won't be signing a new deal. Still no news on Ross though.

Wouldn't surprise me if all of those out of contract will leave the club. Lewis Horner may be an exception.

As mentioned elsewhere, Watkins is essentially gone. Also heard today that Liam Polworth won't be signing a new deal. Still no news on Ross though.

Wouldn't surprise me if all of those out of contract will leave the club. Lewis Horner may be an exception.

Horner is apparently quite happy at the club so i fully expect him to stay 

I expected Watkins and Ofere, Kink would all be away but I will be absolutely gutted if we don't somehow manage to get a new deal for Ross.  The guy is absolute class and one of our own ... it almost seems like the Munro situation all over again

• Agree 3

Remember that all first team squad players who are out of contract HAVE been offered new deals by the club.  Any players who may move on are doing so of their own volition.

Does that include Calum Ferguson then?  He seems to be in a bit of a grey area in this regard.  Interesting though that he wasn't on the bench for the Celtic game.  One would think that suggests that he's leaving the building (provided he wasn't injured of course).  Bare in mind, Jason Brown and Ali Sutherland have signed new deals and were on the bench, but Baptie has not been offered a deal and wasn't.  Wonder if the same can be said for Ferguson then?

Remember that all first team squad players who are out of contract HAVE been offered new deals by the club.  Any players who may move on are doing so of their own volition.

If Ross hasn't signed it is because the deal isn't good enough.  I read his interview where he confirmed his intention to play in England but I don't believe he couldn't be tempted to kick about for another year if the club offered a good enough deal 

Edited by Harry Chibber

If Ross hasn't signed it is because the deal isn't good enough.  I read his interview where he confirmed his intention to play in England but I don't believe he couldn't be tempted to kick about for another year if the club offered a good enough deal

Not necessarily. It could just be Nick's intentions that he wants to give himself a new challenge elsewhere.

Does that include Calum Ferguson then?  He seems to be in a bit of a grey area in this regard.  Interesting though that he wasn't on the bench for the Celtic game.  One would think that suggests that he's leaving the building (provided he wasn't injured of course).  Bare in mind, Jason Brown and Ali Sutherland have signed new deals and were on the bench, but Baptie has not been offered a deal and wasn't.  Wonder if the same can be said for Ferguson then?

I don't know for certain what the contract scenario is with the U20's.  I do know that he is/was injured though (had been for a few weeks), hence the reason he wasn't included in the squad for Celtic.

• Agree 1

Not necessarily. It could just be Nick's intentions that he wants to give himself a new challenge elsewhere.

I've no doubt he does... I think he's said as much already but if the offer was made good enough then I'm sure he would be tempted to sign given that he has not yet made himself a regular first team player and he has the opportunity to play in European competition, which he might never get the chance again in his career.  It's an easy sell if you ask me but it depends on how hard the club and Yogi are working to keep him.  He doesn't seem to be a priority for Yogi from what I've seen* 

* I don't know this for sure but only going on his lack of appearances v obvious talent 

Perhaps Nicks demands are at a level where JH feels he can get a better player from lower leagues for less money -that would be good business. Hughes obviously rates Nick by the starts he has had recently but maybe Nick or his Agent has out priced himself -it does happen with footballers believe it or not!

Big IF..but if we can get Ross and Ofere signed up then we could start our European adventure with..

Esson

Tremarco Warren Meekings Raven

Ross Draper Tansey Williams

Christie

Ofere

Not a bad team in my opinion!

That's not taking into account anyone coming in obviously.

If Ross hasn't signed it is because the deal isn't good enough.

I don't agree fully here Harry, that may be part of it but I think not getting a regular 90 minutes and the opportunity to experience a completely new challenge may appeal.

Either way, we're both hoping he stays.

I reckon a one year deal may be the best option for both parties here.

I really hope Nick stats but our biggest problem IMO is that we are his hometown club. He's probably seen all his friends from school move on to new cities for further education/work and fancies a bit of that himself. I'm the same age as Nick and even if I was a professional footballer I couldn't imagine staying in my hometown for my whole life.

He's been at ICT for 15 years, from the age of 8 through all the youth ranks. He's publicly stated that he'd like to move on - perfectly understandable.

Paradoxically, victims of our own success here, but what better time to move than after having just lifted the Scottish Cup!

Excellent - so that gives us more depth in defence and midfield + a striker (to go alongside Ali Sutherland). Would still like Nick Ross to sign and for us to get an experienced goalscorer to help our two young boys along. Then we're not too far away, especially if Williams becomes our left wing-back, with Tremarco as an alternative.