Contract Situation

Sneckboy

I've been coaching local kids for over 10 years. Even at under 12 level you can spot the kids who've got 'it'. There is no shortage of talent in the Inverness area, I can assure you. I've seen kids from all over town who you just know have the ability to go a long way. 

The majority of those that are picked up by Caley are dropped by the time they get to under 17 level. I've know idea why, as they can't all suddenly be not good enough.

In truth though, the majority are never spotted and the relationship between ICT and local Inverness youth football organisations are pretty much non existent. 

• Agree 1

21 minutes ago, DoofersDad said:

The fact that the County development squad are 4 points clear at the top of the Scottish Development league table with 3 games to go suggests there is plenty of talent in the Highlands.

Agreed, it is also strong evidence that our own youth system need a serious overhaul of attitude and personnel if we are ever going to be able to develop players for the senior squad on anything like a regular basis. One of the many things that needs to be looked at once this season is over.

Edited by Kingsmills
  • Agree 1

The problem with the youth set up is that its all jobs for the boys Danny Macdonald, Charlie Christie & Duncan Sherear What do these 3 so called coaches bring to the club?by all accounts they couldnt run a bath let alone a training session they have bin in that job for years and the return they give the club is nothing short of scandalous in terms of young players coming through the line of "no players in the Highlands" is a complete cop out, look at County there set up is second to none with qaulity coaches who have a huge understanding of youth football not to mention facilities that put ICT to shame & as said there youth team is flying with lads from all over the north & a few southern lads.

To make matters worse ICT dont even have the best youth coaching team in Inverness let alone the Highlands,Clach who have always been a great example of how to nurture & bring through lads the amount of kids who rather go to grant Street for coaching is frightening yes a completely different level but the principles remain the same.

No doubt friends of the trio I've named or maybe there ex teacher may disagree with me but until we rid the club of the jobs for the boys attitude & bring in coaches who actually no what there doing then ICT will always be miles behind not only Ross County but every other youth setup in  Scotland .

• Agree 3
  • Disagree 1

4 hours ago, DoofersDad said:

The fact that the County development squad are 4 points clear at the top of the Scottish Development league table with 3 games to go suggests there is plenty of talent in the Highlands.

Do they not regularly play overage players whilst we have a very young squad.

always get conflicting views as friends sons think the ICTFC coaches are brilliant. Having no kids who attend difficult to comment with any authority 

10 minutes ago, rocky1 said:

always get conflicting views as friends sons think the ICTFC coaches are brilliant. Having no kids who attend difficult to comment with any authority 

ICT may have some Brilliant coaches in the school's & doing other activities but at the end of the day there objective is to produce players capable of going in2 the 1st team apart from Christie , Ross & Polly the number of players coming up through the ranks at the club is shocking compared to other teams.

• Disagree 1

12 minutes ago, rocky1 said:

How many players have County brought through to first team? Not many. 

I do know someone whose son has been at both clubs and states ICT coaches far superior. 

• Agree 2
  • Disagree 1

1 minute ago, fox83 said:

ICT may have some Brilliant coaches in the school's & doing other activities but at the end of the day there objective is to produce players capable of going in2 the 1st team apart from Christie , Ross & Polly the number of players coming up through the ranks at the club is shocking compared to other teams.

You mean County as they are the only team who have the same dynamics as ICTFC

On 4/13/2017 at 2:07 PM, DoofersDad said:

Whilst I agree that there is probably plenty of talented young players locally and Stuart Kettlewell is clearly doing a good job at County. The bulk of their development squad is made up of guys from the central belt and a couple of English guys. Within their ranks they have 2 ex Rangers youths, 2 ex Dundee United youths, and one each from Watford, Chesterfield, Partick Thistle and St Mirren. 

On 13/04/2017 at 7:15 PM, old caley girl said:

How many players have County brought through to first team? Not many. 

I do know someone whose son has been at both clubs and states ICT coaches far superior. 

Can't comment about County's coaches, but ICT's youth coaches are a mixed bag. There's a mixture of full time, part time and volunteer coaches, but their combined badges mean that the youth teams play with other "non-elite" teams. Celtic, Rangers, Dundee United, Hibs, Aberdeen and a few others play amongst themselves and are streets ahead of all of the others, with UEFA-level coaches, sports scientists and video assessment of each player's contribution. This is not necessarily about a lack of talent, but a lack of ability to convert talent into top level players. There also needs to be a bit more faith in those knocking at the door (Ali Sutherland comes to mind). The only certainty is that never risking a fringe local boy in the first team will ultimately end in their release. 

The truth is that natural talent is only the beginning. Modern footballers are first and foremost athletes: fitness and strength is a pre-requisite, as is discipline, attitude and desire. The word is that none of Ryan Christie's coaches at U13 picked him as a future star, with loads of guys preferred to him at that stage....and yet those other guys evaporated.

The only criticism I have in the youth coaching set up is a failure to acknowledge the non-competitive nature of development matches, promoted by SFA at the younger age groups. The concept is to use games to put into practice the concepts developed in training. The score should be irrelevant - it is principles that should be the focus. However, all too often the boys appear to be instructed to abandon everything taught during the week and just "belt it up to the big guy". Is it any wonder that few of them make it.

• 2 weeks later...
On 17/06/2016 at 5:40 PM, iamthecaptain1 said:

Ugh another one I'll have to update on my not so glorious contract summary. :lol::cry:

On Summary a squad currently consisting of 18 players.
3 Gk (including Esson)

2 RB, 1 LB, 2 CB, 3 MF, 5 AMF, 2 ST

Signed until the end  of season (2019-20)

• Richie Foran – Manager

Signed until the end of season (2018-19):

• Gary Warren

• Ross Draper

• Owain Fon Williams

• Liam Polworth

·  Scott Boden (NEW)

Signed until the end of season (2017-18):

• John Hughes – Manager (Took the huff)

• Brian Rice - Assistant Manager

• Ryan Esson – Gk coach/ player

• Aaron Doran

• David Raven (not being retained)

• Iain Vigurs

Jake Mulraney (NEW)

Signed until the end of next season (2016-17):

• Greg Tansey

• Josh Meekings

• Carl Tremarco (did he sign a new contract)

• Lewis Horner

Signed until January 2017 (extended to June 2017)

• Alex Fisher

Right, we're going down, so time to take stock. I'm not sure the above revised version of iamthecaptain's listing is entirely accurate, but it's a starting point. Assuming we can afford to keep those still contracted and that there are no release clauses, we have the following for next season:

Fon Williams

Raven Warren

Draper Vigurs

Mulraney Polworth Doran

Boden

With the exception of Boden, that's a pretty solid group of players who could do something in the Championship. The obvious thing would be to supplement with the best of the young lads.....but no, we've just punted Brown, Wilson, Macrae and MacArthur (I think). Great planning guys! Macnaughton could be encouraged to stay? Can't remember if Tremarco signed an extension or not. What about Brad Mckay?

Assuming all the above (which we can't) and a complete overhaul of the management team (I.e. Punt Foran and Rice and replace with some experience) I'm not as despondent as I was about the future....BUT there are too many assumptions in there! The first move is to get rid of Foran and Rice right now to show the players who might want to stay that they will be playing under somebody who actually understands football. Without that, there will be a complete exodus, and a really tough rebuilding job.

Perhaps somebody can fill in the gaps so we know where we stand?

31 minutes ago, PerfICT said:

Right, we're going down, so time to take stock. I'm not sure the above revised version of iamthecaptain's listing is entirely accurate, but it's a starting point. Assuming we can afford to keep those still contracted and that there are no release clauses, we have the following for next season:

Fon Williams

Raven Warren

Draper Vigurs

Mulraney Polworth Doran

Boden

With the exception of Boden, that's a pretty solid group of players who could do something in the Championship. The obvious thing would be to supplement with the best of the young lads.....but no, we've just punted Brown, Wilson, Macrae and MacArthur (I think). Great planning guys! Macnaughton could be encouraged to stay? Can't remember if Tremarco signed an extension or not. What about Brad Mckay?

Assuming all the above (which we can't) and a complete overhaul of the management team (I.e. Punt Foran and Rice and replace with some experience) I'm not as despondent as I was about the future....BUT there are too many assumptions in there! The first move is to get rid of Foran and Rice right now to show the players who might want to stay that they will be playing under somebody who actually understands football. Without that, there will be a complete exodus, and a really tough rebuilding job.

Perhaps somebody can fill in the gaps so we know where we stand?

Boden could probably do a job down a level. I think Tremarco extendeded, but I don't know when he and Dorian would be available. I'd be inclined to punt Warren - I think he's legs are either going or gone, and discipline wise he is a liability. But with a decent management team (NOT the current incumbents) there is the basis of a team that could at least compete in the championship. 

I have heard Fon Williams has a clause in his contract that he can be released if we are relegated. 

I would imagine others may also have this if they have an agent with a brain.

5 hours ago, Renegade said:

Could we manage next season with Cameron Mackay as keeper, Esson as sub-keeper/coach and then Hoban as third choice?  It wouldn't be a disaster IMO.

I think that would be an improvement on this season!

On ‎4‎/‎29‎/‎2017 at 8:59 AM, PerfICT said:

Fon Williams

Raven Warren

Draper Vigurs

Mulraney Polworth Doran

Boden

Disappointed that Mulraney who seems to have little other than pace and Doran who I see as a high wage injury liability are signed on. MacNaughton should not be offered a contract we have enough experience in the team already with Raven, Warren, Draper and pretty sure Tremarco is signed up another year - with Doran on the books last thing we need is another high paid wage wasted.

Laing & Brad should be offered deals, I think both can perform well at Championship level and use any money we can to try tie up Fisher - the Championship relies on having a goal scorer on your books.

If we could, I'd consider selling OFW and Polly if decent offers come in, additionally I wouldn't be shocked to see Hearts, Aberdeen or Hibs come calling for Draper - he adds steel and fight to any midfield - everyone knows this and any fan I speak to from other teams would take him.

Rebuilding is required but paying loan fees, paying high loan wages or signing 30 odd year olds with injury problems or non-league players is not the way. We need guys who have been released or struggled at parent clubs - in the early to mid 20's with experience of Scottish football with the desire and drive to prove themselves and move on individually and with the club. If we cant find that then blood our own youngsters but stop filling the team with journeymen or huge gambles with limited drive and ability.  

• Agree 1

Fisher deserves a contract for all the hard work he's put in this season. Feel he's been massively overlooked. Crying out for players with heart all season long then lo and behold we've had one on the bench all season. Gigantic oversight from Foran to only realise this with 6 games left. The man always gives 110% and he's a fantastic addition to the squad. A definite fans favourite too, I really admire the way he's always the last to leave the field after clapping the fans, and of course giving his shirt to fans after Motherwell. Hardly a Scott Sinclair but definitely not a bad player to have at all. I'm a massive admirer of his.

• Agree 2

bdu98196, one potential flaw with your analysis is that it is quite likely that some of our contracted players have clauses enabling them to walk away for free in the event of relegation. Another is that we probably won't be in a position to turn down 5 figure sum bids for any of our players. Basically none of our best players are going to be here next season.

The contract clauses shall be interesting. It would be in the interest of both player and club to have the highest earners - Warren, draper and Fon I presume - on release clauses for relegation, or at the very least a big Percentage paycut . Whilst their experience could be valuable their wages could cripple us i suspect.

The loss of away fans, before even considering the potential loss of some home fans will drastically reduce our average attendance. 

It's just hitting home to me now how bad the situation is. Big cloth cutting incoming. 

Still, looking forward to fresh feel of a new division.

• Agree 1

48 minutes ago, Stirling Observer said:

The contract clauses shall be interesting. It would be in the interest of both player and club to have the highest earners - Warren, draper and Fon I presume - on release clauses for relegation, or at the very least a big Percentage paycut . Whilst their experience could be valuable their wages could cripple us i suspect.

The loss of away fans, before even considering the potential loss of some home fans will drastically reduce our average attendance. 

It's just hitting home to me now how bad the situation is. Big cloth cutting incoming. 

Still, looking forward to fresh feel of a new division.

Don't forget loss of TV money, potential loss of sponsorship, hospitality income etc. Relegation, financially, as an utterly horrendous issue for the club to have to deal with. There's talk of a significantly improved TV deal from BT in the very near future as well which we stand to miss out on if we don't get back up at the first time of asking.

We're going to find it harder to recruit players and there is almost zero coverage of the Championship now that Rangers are in the Premiership (we've all seen how quickly BBC, BT and Sky dropped any kind of live games or highlights).

As much as I love Foran there is absolutely no way that he should have been allowed to continue to oversee this shocking decline in the clubs fortunes. We absolutely had to stay in the Premiership and it shouldn't have mattered who was in charge we simply could not afford to allow relegation to happen. He should have walked after the 3 - 0 defeat to Accies instead we stuck whilst others twisted and we look set to pay a very heavy price.

• Agree 3