Contract Situation

Sneckboy

I hope we retain Baptie for another couple of seasons.  He's got potential.  Presume Ferguson will be kept on as well.

Baptie has been told he won't be offered a new contract.

- and a decision on Ferguson will be given next week.

That's a shame.  I really liked the look of Baptie.  I'd be surprised if Ferguson isn't retained, especially after talking him up in the press for a couple of months.

On who to bring in, I think McFadden is passed it and would probably still command a big wage.  Three or four years ago yes, but not now.  I might be wrong but isn't Tesselaar always injured?  McGeouch would be worth looking at though and I think Ainsworth would fit into our team no bother.

I suppose it depends on how many of our 'out of contract' players we manage to retain. If we can get them all signed-up, then as Hughes says - we'll only need to be looking at "one or two more".

But I tend to think, we'll in reality lose at least one of those players reaching the end of their contract.

I hope we retain Baptie for another couple of seasons.  He's got potential.  Presume Ferguson will be kept on as well.

That's a shame.  I really liked the look of Baptie.  I'd be surprised if Ferguson isn't retained, especially after talking him up in the press for a couple of months.

On who to bring in, I think McFadden is passed it and would probably still command a big wage.  Three or four years ago yes, but not now.  I might be wrong but isn't Tesselaar always injured?  McGeouch would be worth looking at though and I think Ainsworth would fit into our team no bother.

I'm pretty sure Yogi was keen to bring Ainsworth here in the transfer window we got Tansey back but I think Ainsworth opted for Motherwell. Definitely would renew the interest there if Marley goes.

As to Kink, whilst he hasn't contributed much, a lot was made of his lack of fitness when he signed so maybe a little early to judge on game displays. If he's offering something in training we don't see then perhaps a 6 month deal till January would suit, both us, and him as he'll then be able to join a club in his homeland ready for their summer season.

Am not just a pretty face...

Guest Shaun

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/pictures-check-out-scottish-football-5706067

Just seen this link of out of contract players in the premiership. Some of them could fit into our team IMO.

Defence:

Jeroen Tesselaar - a player on his day who was a decent left back when he played at St Mirren the first time round and also at Killie, now back at a dire St Mirren. Could be a good enough replacement for Graeme Shinnie

Joe Chalmers - Plays for Celtic and still fairly young, could be a decent young guy to be a back up for Carl Tremarco

Midfield:

Lionel Ainsworth - If Marley Watkins leaves the club in the summer then I would suggest Ainsworth as it would be like for like replacements

Dylan McGeouch - A decent player when I have seen him against our U20s a couple seasons back and couple times I've seen Hibs on the telly, he seems to have a good game. I reckon he could have the same impact Andrew Shinnie had to our team and it could be a decent option if Liam Polworth and Lewis Horner leave the club.

Kallum Higgenbotham - Another player who could be a useful replacement for Marley Watkins, Higgenbotham always seems to shine against us.

James McFadden - An experienced player who could benefit us in Europe and maybe the league too

Strikers:

Scott McDonald - Same as McFadden

Bob McHugh - Could be a decent option as he is only 23/24

I don't expect us to sign everyone I have just listed but if we signed a couple of these guys coupled with a loan or two from England then I'd be more than confident we could do well next season in Europe and the league.

I would go for: Chalmers, Higginbotham and McHugh from that list :-) :ictscarf:.

Having just read the full article, I would also go for Shaughnessy.

Edited by Shaun

I would go for: Chalmers, Higginbotham and McHugh from that list :-) :ictscarf:.

You'd take Chalmers and McHugh over McDonald and Ainsworth.  I know you don't attend many games, but jeez.  From what I remember, McHugh hardly did anything in the Premiership for Motherwell, hence why he was released.

Edited by Renegade

You'd take Chalmers and McHugh over McDonald and Ainsworth.  I know you don't attend many games, but jeez.  From what I remember, McHugh hardly did anything in the Premiership for Motherwell, hence why he was released.

Whilst McHugh hasn't done anything notable as such at Motherwell, we do have a knack of bringing the best out of players to rejuvenate their careers. Like I say, McHugh will be 24 next month which I would still consider fairly young for a footballer, so he could be a option for a 'back up' to Ofere if he signs for next season.

Like you I would much prefer McDonald however I'm just covering all basis as to what may be more affordable for the club.

Guest Shaun

You'd take Chalmers and McHugh over McDonald and Ainsworth. I know you don't attend many games, but jeez. From what I remember, McHugh hardly did anything in the Premiership for Motherwell, hence why he was released.

So, you are allowed an opinion but I ain't!! Hows that??

To make it easier on you, from now on I won't post my opinion which is really unfair!!!

You'd take Chalmers and McHugh over McDonald and Ainsworth. I know you don't attend many games, but jeez. From what I remember, McHugh hardly did anything in the Premiership for Motherwell, hence why he was released.

To make it easier on you, from now on I won't post my opinion which is really unfair!!!

Nobody said you weren't allowed an opinion.  So how about you just dry your eyes, go put your big boy pants on and stop with the same old boring crap you come out with every time someone disagree's with you?

For goodness sake, this is a discussion forum for airing opinions. If everybody agreed with one another it would soon become rather dull....

You'd take Chalmers and McHugh over McDonald and Ainsworth. I know you don't attend many games, but jeez. From what I remember, McHugh hardly did anything in the Premiership for Motherwell, hence why he was released. So, you are allowed an opinion but I ain't!! Hows that??

Nobody said you weren't allowed an opinion.  So how about you just dry your eyes, go put your big boy pants on and stop with the same old boring crap you come out with every time someone disagree's with you?

S6HAKVZ.gif

Edited by ICTRoughi
  • Agree 1

Guest Shaun

Here is why I chose these 3, quite simply its AGE.

MacDonald is on the way out whereas McHugh is Young, same goes with Chalmers. Also, Ainsworth is likely to go down to England, I would not be disappointed if Lio was signed but would be shocked if Scott was signed.

Tbh, transfer discussions ain't my speciality haha.

McHugh isn't very good, hence why he was released and ended up at Airdrie on loan.  Five goals in 70 matches for Motherwell.  No thanks.  As far as I'm aware, I've never seen Chalmers play.  I doubt you have either...

No-one is saying you can't have an opinion, but it's hard to give it any credence when you've never seen any of these players.  The same goes for tactics and team line-ups and all the rest of it.

Going by the PFA Player Availability list, you are right and Baptie has indeed been released.

Although the defeat today looked like our back up players are not Premiership standard, I was quite impressed with the players Hughes gave a chance too.

I feel he should look to the future and sign the lot if he needs a fuller squad. Squads develop over time, Young players hopefully will improve.

To match what we have done this season will be very difficult, but hopefully we will not nose dive down the division; like some of our opponents' have done. I worry a bit that John Hughes may be the target of other clubs now he has shown his undoubted abilities.

Especially after the success of Norwich City, may or may not give rise to more speculation regarding Scotland's best managers.

Also just a thought  as you all know in a former life I was a keen Bury supporter.

I am led to believe that the Bury forward  mentioned below has been offered a deal by the club and not yet  signed,  Might be worth while looking into

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daniel_Nardiello

Edited by Laurence

No Ferguson in the squad yesterday.  Does that suggest he's away?

Was thinking the same actually.

Someone was saying on here that Sutherland had been offered a new deal, but Baptie had been released, while there was no news on Ferguson yet.  Strange that the one who had been offered a deal played but the other two weren't in the squad.

Also, I heard yesterday that Devine is signing very soon while things are 'looking good' on the Ofere front.

• Agree 1

Let's all face it...we'll be lucky to see one or two sign contracts. Only Devine has said he'll likely sign. Watkins, doran, ross and ofere are almost certainly gonna leave. constantly building this team is part of the club now an we're lucky that we don't have to strengthen gk, 3 defensive positions and both midfield positions.

Let's all face it...we'll be lucky to see one or two sign contracts. Only Devine has said he'll likely sign. Watkins, doran, ross and ofere are almost certainly gonna leave. constantly building this team is part of the club now an we're lucky that we don't have to strengthen gk, 3 defensive positions and both midfield positions.

Doran is still under contract for another year and Ofere has also said he'd like to stay, although it's now down to his agent. Watkins and Ross look like they'll be off but they're certainly replaceable.