Old Highland League days....

Tichy_Blacks_Back

The diamond and the AFC suggest it may be the old Broomfield ground. Now Airdrie is Airdrie and not really "Weegie" as such, but given that down there "the far North" starts at Castlecary, I'll let you off with that one!

Afterthought.... was that photo taken at the original, drawn Scottish Cup tie between Caley and Airdrie in January 1990 before Caley won the replay at Telfodr Street on penalties?

Edited by Charles Bannerman

• 2 weeks later...

Had some great away days here and they also had some team in the late 70's

Keith did three HL titles in a row under Bobby Wilson from 1978-81 following two from Caley and then Caley did three in a row 81-84. Keith then won it again in 84-85. This means that across nine seasons Caley won 5 and Keith 4.

Then six different champions until the county double.

Including one in 1987 with a 33 game unbeaten run for a team in black and red under, not Tichy Blacks Back but... Tichy Black's Brother! That was a great season, as was the following one when a 1-0 for Caley at Kingsmills allowed them to pip Buckie. These were Thistle's and Caley's last HL titles.

• 4 weeks later...

Booooooooo:wink:

image.jpg

I would guess that is 1985, possibly published in the run-up to the Jags' Cup game at Celtic Park that February (March?). Roshie stood down as manager in November 1985. His last game was a friendly at home to Celtic who were lucky to escape with a 2 all draw. I certainly remember Davie Hay, Celtic manager at the time, refusing to speak to me after the game and it has also been said that he failed to attend a post match presentation to Celtic.

Lofty Black took over as Jags manager and won the League in 1987, defeated only in the last game at Peterhead, as well as the Qualifying Cup in 1988 with a 3-0 replay victory over Caley at Telford Street.

• 4 weeks later...

Caley v Morton Scottish Cup 1949 - 2-2

image.jpg

....and replay at Morton where Caley lost 2-0.

image.jpg

Exhibition match v St.Johnstone played at Grant Street as the new grandstand was still under construction.

image.jpg

Clach in Scottish Cup v Morton in February 1952 (1-2).

image.jpg

Accies v Clach 1965 in Scottish Cup.

image.jpg

• Agree 2