Shinnie for Scotland

Council Juice

IMO the only reason Shinnie isn't getting a call up it because of that Gordon Strachan. Shinnie is well worthy of a call up, Gordon doesn't know what he's missing out on. I've been saying it for a while now. I think all Graeme can do is keep playing his best.

• Agree 1

Well Jordan Rhodes can't get near the squad for love nor money despite playing at a vastly higher level than Leigh Griffiths. Yes the wee ned was handed a hat-trick on a plate at the weekend but scoring at SPFL level is no where near as hard as the Championship. 

• 8 months later...

I feel reviving this thread is necessary with the latest news on the Scotland Squad. 

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/29989566

I'm baffled. A full back pulls out and a player playing in the 2nd tier of Scottish football is drafted into the squad. I still solidly believe Shinnie deserves a call up and every time I see him over looked I'm astounded. This time though, it's really beyond me.

Edited by Dale94
  • Agree 3

It's amazed me for a while now! I absolutely think Shinnie should be given a shot! Typical 'big team' bias.

While on that topic, I was listening to BBC World Service on Saturday night, and their 'Scottish football' headline was, 'Hamilton Academical miss the chance to go top'!

Never mind who has (at the time) gone top - central belt club could have gone top - but didn't - that's the headline. Utterly depressing journalism.

• Agree 4

Phil Bardsley pulls out of Scotland squad due to injury so does Shinnie get the call to replace him? No!! Instead we'll go for another young inexperienced lower league player. Calum Patterson of Hearts

To be fair Alex, Callum Paterson plays right back and so does Bardlsey so seems a straightforward swap. - I wouldn't go anywhere near Ricky Foster at Rangers. I was at the Hearts vs Dumbarton game last month and Paterson was superb throughout.

What baffles me more, how does Steven Whittaker get ahead of Graeme? Andrew Robertson deservedly number 1 with Graeme number 2 would be my choice and that's not through ICT tinted glasses.

• Agree 1

How Shinnie's not in the squad beats me. And that's not a biased point of view! I've been calling for his inclusion for a while, and a lower league player being called-up ahead of Graeme baffles me.

However, I'm giving Strachan the benefit of the doubt here. He's doing a good job with the national team, and if he's getting the right players into his system then, as long as it's successful, I won't complain !

Phil Bardsley pulls out of Scotland squad due to injury so does Shinnie get the call to replace him? No!! Instead we'll go for another young inexperienced lower league player. Calum Patterson of Hearts

To be fair Alex, Callum Paterson plays right back and so does Bardlsey so seems a straightforward swap. - I wouldn't go anywhere near Ricky Foster at Rangers. I was at the Hearts vs Dumbarton game last month and Paterson was superb throughout.

What baffles me more, how does Steven Whittaker get ahead of Graeme? Andrew Robertson deservedly number 1 with Graeme number 2 would be my choice and that's not through ICT tinted glasses.

Bardsley when called upon will play either right or left back. Shinnie also can do a job either side as we know. I also agree with your point on Whittaker. I genuinely don't think I've seen him have a good game in a Scotland shirt!

Mulgrew, Whittaker and Wallace are better left backs. Shinnie is still young though and if he continues in the way he is going I have no doubt he'll get his chance.

I have to disagree. Mulgrew is not an international left back, or central defender, Wallace is playing in a lower league and Whittaker has had some suspect displays at left back. Shinnie deserves to be in the squad, not calling on him to start but should be part of the squad.

He, Strachan that is, likes to keep in with the ' Big Boys ' always has and always will do.

I wont be at all surprised if he gets his way and the Premier league is extended to incorporate these 'big boys' for next season.

Merit, scruples what are they ??

• Agree 1

Whittaker is probably a bit better, as is Robertson. Wallace and Mulgrew definitely aren't. Shinnie will get his chance soon enough, Whittaker is pretty prone to mistakes and fans get on his back quite quickly compared to other like Robertson, who whatever he does they adore him anyway. There will be calls for Shinnie to be included pretty soon IMO

• Agree 1

If it was up to me the left side of the field would be

Lb - shinnie

Lm - gary mackay-steven

Lf - anya

(4,3,3)

But that is never going to happen since there are 2 spfl players and neither of them are called scott brown...

Edited by Ayeseetee