Moving to/Working in Inverness

sotonict

Hi all, firstly if this in the wrong section please move it.

Im 23 and am a gas and heating engineer of 7 years. I have worked for the same company for these 7 years and am quite frankly needing a change of scenery/ challenge.

I have also been good this year and finally saved up some money with the view to maybe buying a house. But where i live in Southampton the realisation is im not really ever going to get that chance.

I have family up here in Scotland, but Im interested in what people would say to me with regards to moving up. Is there much work about? Etc. What would you do in my position.

Any help would be brilliant thanks, Callum

Better scenery, freindlier people, better house prices I would imagine,  Housing market still on its knees so a lot of tradesmen still struggling, 

If your self employed there is usually work for busy people although If you are cert natural gas you would have to do your lpg as the outying areas are all lpg. 

Really depends upon what you are looking for in my experience those who are trying to escape the rat race do tend to bring it with them.

Sotonict, you are young, you I take it are qualified, If you are single and are willing to work hard and travel a large area, then there is work to be found up here but at first you will have to search it out and build up a reputation of quality service. Self employment or freelance work seems to be the best option up here but don't expect things to come easy.

Cost of living in the rural areas up here is pretty high but lifestyle can be wonderful, depends on your interests and yes prove yourself and you will be readily accepted by the locals.

Give yourself a holiday up this way and suss things out.........good luck

its the only way to do it IHE!

having read some of the comments re john hughes maybe the managers job will be up for grabs soon enough again :) 

i am fully qualified gas wise have been since serving my apprenticeship and have my LPG qualification.

im not actually too bothered about staying in this trade too much, would to do something a bit different and am uo for learning anything.

the only thing that strikes me is the obvious fact that alot of people move downwards towards the central belt. but i do prefer the north.

As a long term incomer, i'd say the quality of life is great,housing is relatively affordable, more so if you move a wee bit out of Inverness, downside is the distance when commuting anywhere or going on holiday and a young guy like yerself may find the nightlife limited. Folk are very friendly (even IHE) and there's plenty opperchancities for anyone prepared to roll up there sleeves.If you fancy it, i'd say give it a go,but as someone else said, take a wee holiday to test the water for yourself