Kilmarnock -V- I.C.T.

Scotty

Yogi obviously made the call that the team wouldn't change from last week as the performance and result was that good but with Draper, Watkins and Vincent all back and on the bench it was the wrong one. Thought Draper would have been back in at the very least and Tremarco benched as Shinnie moves to left back.

I agree with Yogi's meritocratic philosophy. If he had put all the regular first teamers straight back in, and we'd gone on to lose, everyone would be complaining - why change a winning team that performed so brilliantly the week before?

The reserve players who came in and did such a good job last week earned their starting places today. What's the point in giving young players a chance if they subsequently lose their place in the team no matter how well they play? I would have named the same starting 11 as last week. Warren's form has dipped as the season has gone on. Devine played very well last week and our back 4 was rock solid.  

• Agree 1

Warren was alright, Brill had little to do and Mckay had no service.  The rest though were very poor.  Doran, Williams, Shinnie and Ross weren't at their best, while Polworth was rubbish and put in a performance almost as bad as the one in the 4-0 defeat at Perth.  It was really a case of one team being fairly poor, and another being even worse - we were the team who was even worse.

The players don't look as up for it, certainly nowhere near as much as they did last week and we lacked creativity and fluidity throughout.  We seemed too keen to sit back as well, hardly ever looking to intercept the ball when it's live, nor pressing the man in possession.

Things need changing if we want to win next week and getting a result, is nowhere near as likely as some people would like to believe.

Edited by Renegade
  • Agree 2

Certainly a better chance if we play our best players in their best positions, leaving out Draper was a mistake, Watkins should have started and Maybe Vincent too.

And that IMO was the most disappointing thing about today. Well before half time it was so obvious it wasn't working. Agree totally with Renegade above too!

Best bit of the day was getting one of Regueros great smiles at half time!

• Agree 3

I was surprised just how toothless we looked yesterday, after what looked like an excellent performance against Aberdeen. Kilmarnock never seemed to be in control of the game, yet they scored twice, hit the post twice and Boyd missed an absolute sitter. For all our possession, we didn't create any chances as good as those: there was precious little creativity and no threat until Watkins came on, at which point Williams' game also picked up a bit.

No complaints with Yogi starting with the same team that played against Aberdeen, but at lest yesterday gives him the excuse to make a few changes for next week. Polworth's inexperience showed yesterday, I thought - Draper retains possession better and buys himself time to make the right decision, and he needs to come back in. Watkins is stronger and more direct going forward than either Ross or Doran, and I'd bring him in for one of those - possibly Ross, with Doran moving into a more central role, although there is also an option to bring Tansey in too, in a more advanced position behind Mckay. Some poeple were saying yesterday that Foran has a chance of being fit - if so, does he come straight back in and does Shinnie return to one of the full back positions?

Whatever happens, we need to show a lot more urgency and boldness than we did yesterday, or in the equivalent game last season, where a team that was in better form the current one just seemed to freeze on the big occasion.       

Edited by alternative maryhill

In an odd way I am happy with how results went yesterday. Us losing and Hearts winning will hopefully give our team the boot up the as and show it isn't cut and dried we will make the final. Even with Mothersmell and the sheep drawing, 2nd place is a distant pipe dream so let's concentrate on top 6 and 2 cup finals.

• Agree 2

On the back of the game against Aberdeen it was a pathetic display. We could have been there all night and not managed a goal. As Renegade said Killie barely had to play well to win, we were just much much worse.

We played the ball well enough in midfield at times but we struggled to get past their defence, both out wide and through the middle. Maybe it was the semi final on the minds or maybe they just werent up for it, either way it was submissive.

Polworth should have been hooked at half time, his distribution was abysmal at times and it was spotted early enough and its what led to the 2nd goal and with game changers like Tansey, Vincent and Draper at our disposal at least 2 of the 3 could have been used...granted Meekings injury did not help. 

I feel sorry for Billy, again he was forced to feed off punts and was getting forced out wide to receive the ball too much leaving no one in the box. Doran and Williams got on the ball enough in the 2nd half but you could probably count on one hand the number of times they got past their man. 

I really do hope we pick up and learn our lessons from today. Next week is the biggest game of the season and after the heartbreak of last season it dosent bear thinking going out again. 

Rant over because aside from that I had a brilliant day. Atmosphere was excellent and pretty hilarious at times, as well as getting a pint with a few Killie fans in the Sports bar, the first time Ive ever got any banter from away support on my travels.

Toughen up lads and try to remember you still have plenty to play for this season...Roll on Easter Road (and the 7am start  :sleep: )

Edited by AJS

It's not been mentioned yet, but it should be noted that we've got an U20 game on Tuesday away at Partick Thistle (playing in Airdrie).

If Richie Foran's near a return, it would be advisable to give him some game-time there. Hughes will hopefully use the game to help him finalise his selection for the weekend.

Vincent should certainly be involved, with a view to the Hearts game, to improve his sharpness following his lay-off.

One thing I noted in Hughes' first interview after becoming manager, I recollect him saying words to the effect of "Give the ball to Billy and he'll score".  Under Butcher, Mckay was one of an often expansive number of options, but we seem to be trying to get the ball to him by any means necessary, even if that means whacking it at him up against two towering centre-backs.

This seems to be a tactic Hughes has implemented from the start, but while I can understand the logic in it, I'm not sure it's really worked out the best for either Mckay or the team as a whole.

• Agree 2

One thing that thing better than Butcher that Hughes does, is substitutes.  It's nice to see players coming with less than seconds remaining, but still, there's nothing wrong with making a half time change.  It was clear in the 4-0 defeat in Perth and it was just as clear on Saturday, that Polworth was struggling big time.  A headless chicken, nothing was coming off and we were lacking bite in the midfield bigtime.  Why persevere with him any longer?  We had Tansey, Vincent and particularly Draper on the bench, why not put one of them on instead?

First half changes are now commonplace in France, while Marcelo Bielsa is known to make two at half-time if things aren't going to plan.  If I can tell that a player's struggling after even half an hour, surely Hughes can as well.  There's nothing wrong with early changes and keeping struggling players on, such as Polworth on Saturday, will not help them or the team, in any way.

Edited by Renegade
  • Agree 1

It's not been mentioned yet, but it should be noted that we've got an U20 game on Tuesday away at Partick Thistle (playing in Airdrie).

If Richie Foran's near a return, it would be advisable to give him some game-time there. Hughes will hopefully use the game to help him finalise his selection for the weekend.

Vincent should certainly be involved, with a view to the Hearts game, to improve his sharpness following his lay-off.

What time and which ground is it being played. I'm not far from Airdrie and wouldn't mind going to support the lads but it depends on what time the ko is at