Cup Final Heartache

Northern_jaggie

Well, I had the most bittersweet moment of my entire life on Sunday. Through the elation of the match I was completely oblivious as to the fact that the cup final was on the same day as the Country2Country gig I had booked in London. I realised when I checked later on what a pickle I got myself into.

So I had booked to join my band of 9 friends in going to the gig in London, which involves flying down on the Saturday and back on the Monday. I had paid about £300 all in including tickets, flights and accommodation, including help organise a fine 5 bedroom house for everyone. Then ICT went and won and I had a dilemma.

I then told my girlfriend I couldn't make the gig in London because of the final, and boy did she kick off. We never argue and she has never cried in our 2 year relationship but she howled after I told her last night that I planned to cancel. There was guilt trips from her, my mother, even my ICT loyal father told me I couldn't cancel the gig.

I've not started playing silly buggers in my head thinking I can fly up and back from London in time for kickoff and back in time for the gig at 9pm in London. Only to fly back to Inverness the next day. Had the game been at Ibrox and the KO time been 12-2 I could have just about made it based on current flight time, but since it's at parkhead, I now have no chance.

What would you do?

Go to the final, and then suss out if the girlfriend is the one for you. I wouldnt miss a cup final for a concert, unless Bauhaus reform , but then I would go anywhere for that and find dates that suited. As for the family, they know whats good for you

Deep down you obviously want to go to the game. You will kick yourself for years and years if you do not go. I'm sure your friends will understand, there is still going to be a group of 8 of them there......they'll hardly notice your abscence. I'm sure your girlfriend has calmed down now, just explain to her that this may never happen again in your lifetime.

• Agree 1

So I took Bauhaus's tack on raw emotional blackmail and guess what? It worked!! Like Iain says I couldnt ever forgive myself and I had to go. Thankfully she was at the semi-final and saw how much it meant to me (and everyone!) so that helped.

In short we have changed our flights to the Friday and flying back on Sunday to Glasgow meaning we will miss the Sunday gig.

Delighted!!