cheerio mark

maimie

Johnboy's Dream....

Celtic are facing Man U in final of the Champions League, and at the end of 90 minutes it's 0-0. Boruc has to go off injured towards the end of extra time, so on comes our Mark....  :023:

Unfortunately the match has to be decided by a penalty shoot out...... :015: :015: :015:

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My sources tell me that the deal is OFF following the medical.

Apparently, Celtic doctors discovered that Mark has two left feet.  Despite their initial excitement at the the prospect of having a double left footer on their books, they have now seen sense and pulled out.

Mark is an incredibly decent guy and after the pain of instant redundancy at Motherwell winning the lottery with Celtic will be a great reward for his years of real dedication with ICT.

He now has a chance at a side likely to win the league, maybe a cup or two, and on their way to Italy in the Champions League and at a great stadium. His experience at Inverness will teach him not to underestimate the diddy team.

Apparently, the fee is £100,000 which isn't bad business for the club's point of view considering he could have been off at the end of the season for nothing.

No one can really be too critical of Mark, hes been a good servant to the club. Don't forget that playing football is the his job and the source of his income. What would you do if you were offered a new job at more than twice your current income ?

The club were ready to commit to a package to make Mark the highest paid player in our history. In my opinion, that cash already committed should now be offered to Dargo  and Dods to try to persuade them to remain.

If they decline  it should be used to bring in experienced replacements dor Dargo and Dods. We already have a ompetent replacement for Brown in the shape of Michael Fraser although, with all due respect to Johnathon Smith, we will need a more experienced back up 'keeper in the squad.

'that cash already committed should now be offered to Dargo  and Dods to try to persuade them to remain.'

Dods has already signed a pre-season contract with Dee Utd.

Dargo will stay till the end of the season, our problems will be in the summer when we have lost our three 'big' players, will CC and DP be able to fill the spaces with quality players?

as much as the money will be a big aspect for marks move i also think that there are other factors. all it takes is for boruc to hurt himself in training and broonie could end up starting at the san siro playing against kaka and pirlo. i think everyones forgetting that thats how marshall made his name. good luck to broonie and although i doubt it will come to anything well done if this gamble comes off and good luck with lennon. youll need it

If all this is true, really looking forward to seeing Mike Fraser play in goal sunday. Things change, a new

era beckons, keep the faith and keep supporting. For those still bitter, dont worry, the curse will kick in,it

always does. Big reception in order for Mike on Sunday for his first game as No1 keeper.

Good luck to Mark Brown in his move to Celtic I say.

He has been an absolutely fantastic servant for us, a reliable, dependable keeper who, as said above, has been part of some of our clubs biggest achievements.  Spending four and a half years at one club is a rarity in football and anyone saying Broonie is a 'traitor' or any pish like that wants to give themselves a shake.  He will get a chance to make far more money which the vast majority of people in any line of work would do.  Also, signing for Celtic shows he has faith in his ability to try and break into the first team - Boruc is linked with moves away to the Premiership or even Barcelona.  Boruc could break his leg, get sent off, get the jail for saying mass at Ibrox - who knows?

As for us, it's time to give Mikey Fraser a chance, he's never let anyone down.  Perhaps we shold invest in a back-up keeper though as Jonathon Smith is on loan to Rothes and is a bit wee.

Must admit i choked on my breakfast this morning when the headline came up on teletext!!

Mark has been a great keeper for us over the years, and have won and saved matches with some great shot stopping.

However...

Like most i agree that he has a fair few weaknesses, kicking etc.

Mike Fraser has been excellent every time i've seen him, but i also agree we need someone to challenge him for the No.1 jersey, as Smith needs more porridge to grow a bit.

Renton at Elgin City anyone?? He was excellent against Caley in Pre-season  :024:

All the best, Mark and thanks for your time at Inverness.

You can put some of your new wealth towards some high class pile cream - sitting for long periods on a cold bench aren't good for you, as your mother should have told you.

I've been sitting here thinking about this for a while, and I just cannot get my head around it.  If I could, I would love to pose a few questions to him;

1. Why do you feel that it would be better to be second choice at a club, essentially become a no-body, rather then being a hero to many, and playing regular football?

2. How do you feel this is going to improve your chances of becoming an International?

3. Does money really mean more to you then playing?

4. Do you now really understand what you are letting yourself in for, do you know that your life will never be your own, and that you have to share it with thousands of people?

5. Why?

I just can't get my head around it all.  This is career suicide for him, and no doubt in 2 years he will be looking for another club trying to rebuild his career.  I won't feel any malice towards him for leaving, but I won't sympathize with him if his career disappears, your good Mark, but are you really THAT good?

My thoughs are similar EWS.  I have watched this thread unfold but haven't posted until now.  Partly because I'm not sure how I feel about it.

I think Mark must have enough belief in himself to feel he can challenge for the no.1 Jersey through time.  We know he is a hard working keeper and regularly puts in extra training sessions. 

Money talks and I'm sure he'll be well paid for sitting on the bench.  He should however receive expert coaching to improve the weaknesses in his game.  This may well indeed be what is needed for him to make more of an impression on the National Stage.

The synic in me feels that sometimes the old firm buy up players to stop them playing against them.  I hope this isn't the case on this occasion.

The media attention he will receive is a big issue though as Mark is quite a private and quiet person.  Don't think he'll enjoy that part of it.

I don't blame him for going, it's obviously an offer he couldn't refuse and we get a bit of money from letting him go now.  I really wish him all the best, but I'm not convinced this is a great move for him, although I do understand why he has to take it.  I do believe that we had made him a good enough offer to keep him, reportedly until 2009, but that was before Celtic came calling.

I am however pleased that Michael Fraser will, at last, get a chance to prove he is capable of keeping the number 1 jersey.  He has been pretty fed up sitting on the bench and I think we might have lost him before long if he wasn't going to get a game.

Good luck to them both.

Did a bit of googling and found a couple of celtic forums. The general concensus from them appears to be that boruc will be leaving possibly in the summer with arsenal being tipped as one of the front runners, they seem to be of the opinion that marshall will be back and him and broonie will be fighting for the first team spot, it's maybe not as bad a move as everyone seems to be making out for him, I say thanks foy your time here Mark And hope it works out for you, though if you do come back and play at TCS I hope you have a howler :015:

I've been sitting here thinking about this for a while, and I just cannot get my head around it.  If I could, I would love to pose a few questions to him;

1. Why do you feel that it would be better to be second choice at a club, essentially become a no-body, rather then being a hero to many, and playing regular football?

2. How do you feel this is going to improve your chances of becoming an International?

3. Does money really mean more to you then playing?

4. Do you now really understand what you are letting yourself in for, do you know that your life will never be your own, and that you have to share it with thousands of people?

5. Why?

I just can't get my head around it all.  This is career suicide for him, and no doubt in 2 years he will be looking for another club trying to rebuild his career.  I won't feel any malice towards him for leaving, but I won't sympathize with him if his career disappears, your good Mark, but are you really THAT good?

Mark obviously has enough confidence in his ability to think that he can make an impact at Celtic.  Goalkeeper is a unique position - if Boruc was injured or suffered a loss of form Brown could step in.  There are also persistant rumours linking Boruc with a move away, giving Brown a chance.

He might never make an appearence at Celtic but he is giving himself the opportunity to do so.  If he didn't take this oppotunity he'd probably never get a chance at a club the size of Celtic again.

With regards to money, he'll probably make three to four times as much at Celtic as he could at us or Falkirk.   There's nothing wrong with that, after all football is his career and he has to do the best for his family.  I also think that the media intrusion is being overstated - he's not a star striker, he's a reserve goalie (initially) who is hardly a gallus type who gets into bother.

Good luck to Broonie, I hope he gets the first team spot at Darkhead and gets into the international squad.

This will only be a positive for us...picture it.....

We win a penalty against Celtic, Rankin steps up..and they have Brown in goal....who would you back?

My initial feeling was The Bar Steward!  He will be quite a loss!  But on reflection, it's a fantastic chance to see what Fraser is made of, and not meaning to be dismissive, but a chance for us to get someone that's a bit more "confident" when it comes to penalties.

C'mon how many people actually watch when someone takes one against us - it wasn't good!

See you on the bench on 28th Mark! 

[move]C'MON FRASER - MAKE US PROUD!!!!!!!!!!!!!![/move]

This will only be a positive for us...picture it.....

We win a penalty against Celtic, Rankin steps up..and they have Brown in goal....who would you back?

[move]C'MON FRASER - MAKE US PROUD!!!!!!!!!!!!!![/move]

I would back Rankin to put the ball just wide of the left hand post - with MB diving to his right....!!

If and when Boruc leaves Parkhead in the summer it'll come down to a straight fight between Broonie and Marshall for top spot. who's the better keeper  :024:. Brown has weakness's but is a good shot stopper and has improved in coming for crosses, but Marshall is more dominating in his box and has saved a penalty in the past. His finding himself again spell at Norwich could move him ahead of MB in the ratings?

But I still wish him all the best and hope he enjoys his new track suit!! :014:

All the best to Brownie (excpet against us obviously) who has been a quality keeper for us since he came North.

Without him, I doubt we would have had as much success as we have had.

I think he has it in him to become a celtic No.1 and hopefully Scotland's No.1.

Boruc isn't going to be there forever!

But lets on dwell on the past, lets get behing Mike Fraser, who has shown signs of being a quality keeper.

No need to feel bitterness towards Mark, £100k is not bad business.

Brown has been a great asset for ICT and will greatly missed. I wish him well and just hope he gets first team action - but not against ICT!

Fraser looks promising so all we need is a back up keeper.

Neksor