Should Hughes be SACKED?

Guest Mahonio

Lets face it on recent form we are a bottom 6 club possibly near the play off place, Yogi won a cup semi final against possibly the worst Hearts team in recent memory. 

Should he be sacked?, no he needs to be given time.

Am I worried?  yes very 

Sacking the manager is not the right option at this time.

Yogi is a very likeable, enthusiastic, fun character and I can see why the board were keen to give him the job.

My main concern as highlighted in the Motherwell thread is his lack of tactical awareness and understanding of our players strengths and weaknesses. We are not and will not become an elegant team with the capabilities of ball retention. We need to get the ball forward quickly and play in the final third - this is not John Hughes' style i'm afraid and this makes me very worried.

He'll retain my support until the chairman and board decide they want change.

I support our club as a collective group of individuals, not just individuals. #togetherNESS  :ictscarf:

• Agree 1

Yogi is a very likeable, enthusiastic, fun character and I can see why the board were keen to give him the job.

My main concern as highlighted in the Motherwell thread is his lack of tactical awareness and understanding of our players strengths and weaknesses. We are not and will not become an elegant team with the capabilities of ball retention. We need to get the ball forward quickly and play in the final third - this is not John Hughes' style i'm afraid and this makes me very worried.

I support our club as a collective group of individuals, not just individuals. #togetherNESS  :ictscarf:

My brother is a very likeable, enthusiastic, fun character who happens to be the same age as Yogi. He can also talk a good game. Not sure that qualifies him as the best candidate for next manager though.

I don't agree with this.  The board should have got rid of Brewster before they did.  It was all very gentlemanly but not the right thing for the club to stick with Brew - another nice guy that talked a better game than Yogi.

Not sure I agree with this. Fans will make their mind up on a purely footballing/results basis. The board will take financial matter into account too. I would expect the average fan to get disgruntled before the board do more often than not.

I don't think we are at pitch-fork sharpening time yet, though.

Worrying that people are discussing this so shortly into Yogi's reign.

Maybe so but good to see that the broad consensus, even from those of us who doubt his credentials, is that it is far to early to even be thinking of terminating his contract.

My brother is a very likeable, enthusiastic, fun character who happens to be the same age as Yogi. He can also talk a good game. Not sure that qualifies him as the best candidate for next manager though.

I agree and i'm not talking about what does or doesn't qualify him for the job. He wasn't my choice for the job but the matter is that he is here and we have two choices to make:

• Get on with it and support the team irrespective of the fact that the manager maybe isn't our cup of tea (at the moment, maybe he'll win us over?)
  • Put pressure on him and try and pick holes in his management anytime we have any kind of negative result.

The fact is that we operate on one of the lowest, if not the lowest budgets in the SPFL and for two or three years we have perhaps been overachieving but it's important that we take heed and remember where we have come from. We're now an established premiership team, fighting for the top six each year and battling away against 'bigger teams' in the cup.

I don't agree with this.  The board should have got rid of Brewster before they did.  It was all very gentlemanly but not the right thing for the club to stick with Brew - another nice guy that talked a better game than Yogi.

I think comparisons between Brewster and Yogi are ridiculously unfair. Yes, it's not gone all that well so far but it's early days - give the man a chance.

Not sure I agree with this. Fans will make their mind up on a purely footballing/results basis. The board will take financial matter into account too. I would expect the average fan to get disgruntled before the board do more often than not.

I agree that the average fan will get disgruntled before the board will (especially in Inverness) but what i do firmly believe is that we have a brilliant chairman who is solely looking after the clubs interest and when we have someone like that in charge, I am happy to accept his appointments until the time comes for change.

Edited by jrict

I agree and i'm not talking about what does or doesn't qualify him for the job. He wasn't my choice for the job but the matter is that he is here and we have two choices to make:

• Get on with it and support the team irrespective of the fact that the manager maybe isn't our cup of tea (at the moment, maybe he'll win us over?)
  • Put pressure on him and try and pick holes in his management anytime we have any kind of negative result.

The fact is that we operate on one of the lowest, if not the lowest budgets in the SPFL and for two or three years we have perhaps been overachieving but it's important that we take heed and remember where we have come from. We're now an established premiership team, fighting for the top six each year and battling away against 'bigger teams' in the cup.

I think comparisons between Brewster and Yogi are ridiculously unfair. Yes, it's not gone all that well so far but it's early days - give the man a chance.

I agree that the average fan will get disgruntled before the board will (especially in Inverness) but what i do firmly believe is that we have a brilliant chairman who is solely looking after the clubs interest and when we have someone like that in charge, I am happy to accept his appointments until the time comes for change.

This is not a dig at the board as I think they are doing a remarkable job financially but are there any real "football people" involved on the board anymore, and by football people i mean involved in football on the playing side etc?.We don't have a DOF anymore and it appears that his leaving the club had a something to do with the appointment of Hughes. I think they took the cheap option. 

I don't think the players have signed for the manager; they've signed because they know their colleagues have got what it takes, and can take the team upwards.  The frustration is that Hughes doesn't seem to be able to play an effective system, motivate or inspire the players.  I feel sorry for our wingers - there have been ridiculous decisions; not playing Doran in the final, taking him off at half-time yesterday (was he really the most ineffective player in the first-half), not playing Watkins in the Celtic game, when he had been MoM against them last time out, not starting Watkins yesterday.  We've completely lost our pace on the counter-attack, in favour of a central midfield so congested it's like a suet pudding. Those two should be starting every game together, with either Vincent or Ross or even Christie behind Billy.  Since when was Vincent signed as a winger?  Why is Tansey immune from getting subbed?   He gave the ball away more than any other player yesterday.  Why are the players looking like they've just attended a funeral, when they are going out to play a 6-pointer to get within reach of top 3?

I fear we may lose our wide men at the end of the season if this style of play continues - and one or two others beside; even Billy.

I agree that sacking at this stage would not be right.  But I don't agree that we should back the manager blindly just because the Board has gone with him. If we continue to slide in results, style of play and performance for the rest of the season, then I believe the Board has to act promptly to keep together the best squad we've ever had.

His team selections and tactics disappoint me hugely.  

He clearly doesn't do his homework on his opponents at all - when Aberdeen were 4-0 up at half-time against us, it was because he hadn't considered how to deal with Pawlett playing through the middle.  Playing 4-4-2 against Celtic and Dundee United was clearly a disaster waiting to happen.  He failed to restore Gary Warren to the team last night despite the fact that neither Meekings nor Devine would win an aerial battle with John Sutton.  And Vincent on the wing?!  

He has ditched a 4-2-3-1 formation that worked, and which our squad is set up for, in favour of first 4-4-2 and now a 4-1-4-1 which leaves Mckay isolated and bereft of support, and makes us absolutely brutal to watch. We have gone from being a side who scored goals, conceded few and which played good football to a side that can't pass, can't defend and can't score.

Yogi was given a winning formula by Butcher.  Why on earth has he tried changing it?  The only explanation I can think of is that his ego dictated that he had to make changes, so it was 'his team' and not Butcher's.

Let's face it, he won't last beyond the end of next season.  My concern is that we keep him on for several months after it is clear that he's not the answer - a la Brewster - and we end up relegated as a result.

• Agree 1

His team selections and tactics disappoint me hugely.  

He clearly doesn't do his homework on his opponents at all - when Aberdeen were 4-0 up at half-time against us, it was because he hadn't considered how to deal with Pawlett playing through the middle.  Playing 4-4-2 against Celtic and Dundee United was clearly a disaster waiting to happen.  He failed to restore Gary Warren to the team last night despite the fact that neither Meekings nor Devine would win an aerial battle with John Sutton.  And Vincent on the wing?!  

He has ditched a 4-2-3-1 formation that worked, and which our squad is set up for, in favour of first 4-4-2 and now a 4-1-4-1 which leaves Mckay isolated and bereft of support, and makes us absolutely brutal to watch. We have gone from being a side who scored goals, conceded few and which played good football to a side that can't pass, can't defend and can't score.

Yogi was given a winning formula by Butcher.  Why on earth has he tried changing it?  The only explanation I can think of is that his ego dictated that he had to make changes, so it was 'his team' and not Butcher's.

Let's face it, he won't last beyond the end of next season.  My concern is that we keep him on for several months after it is clear that he's not the answer - a la Brewster - and we end up relegated as a result.

Agree with all of that except the last paragraph. I suspect that with Hughes we will be no better than about 8th to 10th next season but still expect at least one team to be worse than us. Still, the play offs might add excitement to the end of the season.

Should Hughes be sacked? No.

Coming at it from a different angle, though: If, back in November, a time traveller had handed Kenny Cameron a bit of paper showing the results that would arise between December and March if we appointed Hughes, would he still have got the job?

Should Hughes be sacked? No.

Coming at it from a different angle, though: If, back in November, a time traveller had handed Kenny Cameron a bit of paper showing the results that would arise between December and March if we appointed Hughes, would he still have got the job?

Yes, but Kenny would have asked for the opposition line-ups for these game, and Yogi would have adjusted his teams accordingly.The corresponding tear in the space-time continuum would lead to armageddon, at which point Regan and Doncaster call a press conference and say "We told you so!"

• Agree 1

It is absolutely ludicrous that this is even a thread. Were people not calling for butcher's head when we were 15 points behind Dundee in the first division? Look where he got us. I don't know if anyone watched the BBC Alba replay of the Motherwell match last night, but in my eyes we played some very encouraging attacking football - especially when christie came on - and in my opinion we were extremely unlucky not to come away with a goal or two. I hope to god that Hughes proves all of you idiots wrong - and i definitely will not be surprised if he does!

• Agree 2

It is absolutely ludicrous that this is even a thread. Were people not calling for butcher's head when we were 15 points behind Dundee in the first division? Look where he got us. I don't know if anyone watched the BBC Alba replay of the Motherwell match last night, but in my eyes we played some very encouraging attacking football - especially when christie came on - and in my opinion we were extremely unlucky not to come away with a goal or two. I hope to god that Hughes proves all of you idiots wrong - and i definitely will not be surprised if he does!

I don't think there is a single one of us 'idiots' who wouldn't be delighted to be proved wrong.

I don't think there is a single one of us 'idiots' who wouldn't be delighted to be proved wrong.

At least you're admitting that you're an idiot.

I wasn't calling for Butcher's head.  Thought he improved us from Brew's team and gave us a fighting chance.  I also liked what he did with Motherwell and was unfairly sacked by Coventry.

I also hope Yogi proves me wrong too.  Nothing in his background (except Stokes) gives me hope.  Given that people are now seeing avoiding relegation as success, even though we've signed up a successful team for next year, shows how far we've dropped.

We got the wrong man.  We either admit it now and move on, or we dive further as Yogi's background suggests, then get rid of him when the damage is done.  Or else hope we really are all idiots. First choice for me.

Sucsess sure does breed contempt!!! Two good seasons in the SPL, now people are monaing about a top 6 finnish and losing a cup final by a gnats whisker not being good enuff. Im pretty sure we will all to soon be back to our usual place in the scheme of things, where a top 6 finnish would be hailed as an excellent achievement....let alone a cup final.

nah.......Im a realist, and have enjoyed seeing ICT punch above their weight, but it wont last...so enjoy it while its here

Edited by SMEE
  • Agree 1

I wasn't calling for Butcher's head.  Thought he improved us from Brew's team and gave us a fighting chance.  I also liked what he did with Motherwell and was unfairly sacked by Coventry.

I also hope Yogi proves me wrong too.  Nothing in his background (except Stokes) gives me hope.  Given that people are now seeing avoiding relegation as success, even though we've signed up a successful team for next year, shows how far we've dropped.

We got the wrong man.  We either admit it now and move on, or we dive further as Yogi's background suggests, then get rid of him when the damage is done.  Or else hope we really are all idiots. First choice for me.

Id say that for a club of ICT's stature, avoiding relegation IS a sucsesfull season. Anything above 8th is an exceptional season

• Agree 2

A few months into Ebbe Skovdahl's reign, Willie Miller said he should go.  It wasn't working, so best get rid of him sooner rather than later.  Aberdeen regretted not listening to him.

I feel the same about Hughes.  It's not working and his record suggests it won't improve.  There are better managers within our budget.  Yogi was a ghastly mistake.  Best to cut our losses now.

Are you saying Mahonio is Willie Miller?  :amazed: