Inverness CT -V- St Mirren

Scotty

Meh. You've got to win your home games against the 2nd worst team in the league if you are going to get anywhere. We're going nowhere.

The only bright side is that, for the first time this season I think, we conceded the first goal and actually managed to get something from the game. Progress?

Yes, I agree. Hughes is, and has been, trying out different combinations of players and tactics. Hopefully this will stand us in good stead for the future, since we did become overdependent on one system, where the goals had dried up.

But this was NOT the game to start it - BUT it may help - I would put Foran back to central defence beside Warren to begin with.

Guest Mahonio

Really hope not The Long Man because Europe not beyond us just yet, only good thing about today is United and Dons still within touching distance, as are Motherwell after losing today plus St J blew chance to cut gap on us to 2pts.

Next 2 games now huge because if we win both we are 1ahead of United (unless they get a result v Celtic) and 2 behind Motherwell (unless they get result v St M) so we could really be in great position for Europe by this time next week.

Never right off Caley :ictscarf: :ictscarf:

Disappointed with the performance to be honest. Didn't look like a red but I thought St Mirren actually looked less like scoring after we went down to 10. Really disagree with the decision to have Vincent and Tansey stuck out wide. A point isn't dreadful but these are matches we HAVE to be winning.

Ditch the 4-2-3-1 formation again, even though it works and the players are most comfortable with it, in favour of a 4-4-1-1 system?

CHECK.

Two central midfielders playing out of position on the wing, with no wide players picked whatsoever?

CHECK.

Telling the players at half time to sit in and invite pressure, even though we were massively on top in the latter stages of the first half?

CHECK.

Not changing things around in the slightest even when St. Mirren changed their system?

CHECK.

Bringing off our centre-forward and replacing him with a winger, who looked like he had never played centre forward in his life?

CHECK.

Firing off a load of pathetic clichés in the post-match interview?

(Probably - I haven't heard it yet, but it seems like a safe assumption).

The thing is that I thought the players did the best they could today, even though they were held back by dreadful tactics.  Vincent must be regretting signing that contract, when Hibs would have paid him more and played him in a position he's comfortable with.  It's no secret that St. Mirren's right-back, Naismith, likes to bomb on at pace, but Yogi clearly hadn't scouted St. Mirren at all and so Vincent got left for dead again and again by an overlapping full-back who was so much faster than him.  Our midfielders did their best to get on the ball in the first half, even though all four of them kept trying to occupy exactly the same areas of the pitch.

Add in a useless referee - and they don't come more useless than Willie Collum - and you have a side who were a bit lucky not to lose to a St. Mirren team who were

possibly the weakest I've seen us play against all season.  They were dreadful, even when we were down to 10 men. 

Not happy.  Not happy at all.

We have a decent squad of players, you know.  Their attitude is superb, and they can play a bit too.  But they're being held back by a manager who doesn't know what he is doing.

• Agree 5

If we don't get into Europe that may be the best thing for our team  this year. It would be a just reward, mind you, but  at what cost?

The proceeds of the League Cup final could then be made available to search for players whereas if we go into Europe it will just cost the club a lot of money, maybe even a ton of money depending on the location of the opponent(s).

You just know that the chances of having full houses at Tulloch are remote....sadly.

e.g How much did St Johnstone make out of their foray last time? Did they even break even?

after going 2-1 up could only see one  winner --- us.

then tansey gets injured and goes off to be replaced by nick ross. he was swatted away like a fly by st Mirren players.  he could not keep the ball which resulted in us having no out ball.

wrong substitution :sad:

this then allowed st Mirren to take charge of the game and should have won 3-2 when only a great save by brill denied them.

I have never seen billy score when one on one with the keeper.

today put through just beyond half way line and raced in on goal. from my seat in the north stand I could see he tried to curl ball into right side of goal. never see such a pathetic attempt. he was closer to hitting the corner flag than the goal.

the team is in freefall. wonder why. maybe that is being discussed in another thread. :wink:

Agree with most of Hislop's points, but disagree on Watkins. He chased down and pressed the St Mirren defenders into a few mistakes and looked dangerous on the break. Billy McKay needs to be rested, he's running on empty.

Edited by AlexJones
  • Agree 3

Take a bow, Ryan Christie. Other than that, we were quite flat today. So AGAIN we tried to squeeze Vincent, Tansey, Polworth, Draper into the midfield. It doesn't work: width is needed!!! Red card was a farce. Opportunity missed, given other results

• Agree 2

This game sees the end of a hectic and pretty disastrous month of March. Eight games, and the only win was at home to Partick.  Our aspirations in both cups ended, as did our European hopes.  Players looking fatigued, manager looking devoid of solutions. Fans disappointed.

Will April be any better? Two more games in quick succession doesn't bode well, but then a 2 week rest will hopefully allow everyone to recharge their batteries before the difficult top 6 games.  I can't help thinking that today was our best chance of a win before the end of the season, but anything could happen.

Someone help me out here. There must be at least one reason which justifies Vincent's selection (compounded by playing him out wide)? Is anonomous for most of every game he has played in.

....was he not JH's first re-signing?

I think Vincent has something to offer, but not out wide and not as part of a 5 man narrow midfield!

Carry on moaning...................... Is that a film title? should be .....cast available.

Would you suggest that those of us who are alarmed at just how quickly things have gone downhill in the last few months pretend to be happy or would you be satisfied if we merely kept quiet and left the forum to the happy clappers ?

Collum I believe holds about 70percent of our red cards .does anyone have the stats .?surely it is worth pointing this out to the Spfl just to confirm we are not getting a fair crack of the whip

Did we deserve 3 points - maybe!!

• Agree 1

Collum needs a huge kick in the balls - by me!    he is a feckin useless article, and a disgrace to football.  that move we had in the second half, when we had a foul, we played on, nice ball forward to Billy, looked like a good break and the fanny calls it back! - wee c*nt.

Apart from that... what happened in the second half?  different team!    not 1 attempt on goal from us!   feckin shambles.

• Agree 2