Last nights singing

Frizzle

Come on people. Everyone, from moderators to first time posters are entitled to their views on this (or any other) forum without being labelled or lambasted. It's why the forums exist. It neither makes posters a "negative" or a "happy clapper" and too many people are beginning to use these labels as a means for short cutting rational argument. If that happens, the forum will degenerate into a mess and eventually die as more and more people get sick to death of it and that would be unfortunate. Don is right (and doesn't deserve the vitriol above)- if you feel strongly about something stand up and do something about it ,  you should be facilitated and protected by match stewards to do so and should not be intimidated or abused. If you feel these songs are beyond the pale, say so. Don also has the force of personality that enables him to do this, but not all do. Those are the people that use other vehicles to make their disapproval known. Both are entirely valid. However (and it's a big however) no one has asked CJT or the football club to take action. This is the same for other voiciferous factions that want CJT to to call a meeting to discuss the future of the manager - no one has asked. There are posts above that put points across that simply smack of personalising the argument and that will do nothing except alienate people and split our already apparently fractious support.

In terms of treating mental health issues with disrespect, please be aware that the club has signed up to the "see me" initiative to combat stigma. it would be a great thing if wider society in Scotland did likewise. There remains an inherent lack of understanding about mental illness not helped by media, comedy and television variously misjudging, misreporting and trivialising it. There are with all due respect, no more than a handful of people on this site that could accurately describe a diagnosis of any of the types of schizophrenia and that's a great part of the problem. There is a great temptation that if people don't understand something they marginalise, trivialise and alienate them. That then makes them fair game to (at the very least) sing songs targetting them because of their difference. Society has always been so, and social pressure is the only way of altering this - it's been successful in ridding us of the gypsy chants.

With regard to the Police, I'm not surprised that they don't act when the legislation that they are armed with do deal with offensive behaviour at football matches is so flawed. If sectarianism can't be successfully prosecuted even when it's flagrant, what hope for finding songs about mental illness offensive?

Come on people. Everyone, from moderators to first time posters are entitled to their views on this (or any other) forum without being labelled or lambasted. It's why the forums exist. It neither makes posters a "negative" or a "happy clapper" and too many people are beginning to use these labels as a means for short cutting rational argument. If that happens, the forum will degenerate into a mess and eventually die as more and more people get sick to death of it and that would be unfortunate. Don is right (and doesn't deserve the vitriol above)- if you feel strongly about something stand up and do something about it ,  you should be facilitated and protected by match stewards to do so and should not be intimidated or abused. If you feel these songs are beyond the pale, say so. Don also has the force of personality that enables him to do this, but not all do. Those are the people that use other vehicles to make their disapproval known. Both are entirely valid. However (and it's a big however) no one has asked CJT or the football club to take action. This is the same for other voiciferous factions that want CJT to to call a meeting to discuss the future of the manager - no one has asked. There are posts above that put points across that simply smack of personalising the argument and that will do nothing except alienate people and split our already apparently fractious support.

In terms of treating mental health issues with disrespect, please be aware that the club has signed up to the "see me" initiative to combat stigma. it would be a great thing if wider society in Scotland did likewise. There remains an inherent lack of understanding about mental illness not helped by media, comedy and television variously misjudging, misreporting and trivialising it. There are with all due respect, no more than a handful of people on this site that could accurately describe a diagnosis of any of the types of schizophrenia and that's a great part of the problem. There is a great temptation that if people don't understand something they marginalise, trivialise and alienate them. That then makes them fair game to (at the very least) sing songs targetting them because of their difference. Society has always been so, and social pressure is the only way of altering this - it's been successful in ridding us of the gypsy chants.

With regard to the Police, I'm not surprised that they don't act when the legislation that they are armed with do deal with offensive behaviour at football matches is so flawed. If sectarianism can't be successfully prosecuted even when it's flagrant, what hope for finding songs about mental illness offensive?

Fully intending bringing it up at tomorrow's CJT board meeting Davie.

• Agree 2

Great to hear the OGC is going to raise this formally.

Don't know where Davie gets the idea that there is vitriol directed against Don.  Others can make their own judgement by reading who has said what above. 

The only thing I would add is to pick up on Davie's point about ICT having signed up to the "see me" initiative.  That is commendable, but surely it makes it all the more disappointing that nobody associated with the club apparently did anything to try to repeat a repetition of the chants following the previous County game.  There really is little point in signing up to a policy advocating social responsibility if the club then does nothing when a small number of it's own supporters behave in exactly the manner which the initiative is trying to stamp out.

• Agree 3

I agree that the forum would indeed be a more tedious place if we all held the same or similar views. The only thing that the vast majority of us have completely in common is an interest in and fondness for ICT although I accept that there are a very few who may not fall into that category but I don't believe that many of those have contributed to this thread.

I also agree that it is better and far more interesting for people to express their views forthrightly but without resorting to name calling or vitriol. What I fail to see, in this context is where, in this thread at least, Caley D has been subject to vitriol. That, in itself, would be a breach of forum rules. I may have missed something but can you please illustrate where, in this thread, you think legitimate robust disagreement has crossed the line ?

Time for everybody to wind their necks in. Get back to the topic and less personal point scoring.

Of course we don't need this sort of behaviour associated with the club. I'm almost frightened to ask, but we have topics on the forums that get fed back to the club. Maybe someone that is in the know or witnessed the events could post on the feedback to the club thread and it would then be brought up with officials that will take it further.

http://caleythistleonline.com/forum/132-ask-the-club/

• Agree 1

The post above by caleyd is quite possibly the dumbest ******* thing I have read all day and I'm frightened that his carer has gone home and left him to play with his computer all on his lonesome! If I stood up and shouted offensive language for example **** arse are you trying to tell me the police would do nothing unless somebody reported it?? They are paid to "police" not to sit back with fingers up their arse! Sweet Jesus you can't even stand up in the north stand without an over zealous ******** steward telling you to sit down. You are either for it or against it. Time they started dealing with proper offences! No excuses!

Last word on this. For me, this qualifies as vitriol (personal opinion)

• 2 weeks later...

I remember singing "the babies not yours" at ian vigures the end of last season its not as bad as the brittian chant but who draws the line on whats offensive?

Everybody has their own view on what is offensive. I think yours is very different to mine. Do you believe you crossed the line?

At least its kept within the stadium instead of a wife of a county player with mental health issues.

Didn't we once have a manager who resigned because the job was affecting his family.

On a positive note his son has turned in to a great wee player with loads more potential.