Elena Baltacha

Guest Mahonio

Guest Mahonio

Very sad to report that in last few minutes, Elena Baltacha has died from Liver Cancer aged 30 :'( :'(.

As a huge Tennis fan, I am very sad that she has passed away so soon.

Guest Mahonio

I really hope Rally for Bally on Final day of Aegon Championships from Queens is a sell out because this girl deserves it.

Wimbledon just won't be same without her :-(.

Sad news indeed. Having lost my own sister to cancer at 22, I know that losing a sibling/child at such a young age is devastating to a family both now and in the future when those left behind look around and wonder what might have been. My thoughts and best wishes are with the Baltacha family now and for the years to come. 

Also think it entirely appropriate for ICT and St Johnstone to show respect in some way at the forthcoming game given the Baltacha connection to both clubs. 

• Agree 2

Gutted to hear the news. Elena was an inspiration through battling to the top of her sport in spite of having a very debilitating liver condition and to be taken so soon is so cruel. A big loss to the ICT family and thoughts are with her family and friends.

Hopefully a rally for bally whip around and a minutes silence can be arranged for the upcoming game.

I'll be emailing the club with a request and hopefully others can join me. I think that's the very least we can do for her legacy, and help raise funds for further liver research in the process.

RIP Bally!

• Agree 1

Very sad to lose anyone so young.  My neighbour died recently of the same illness, only 3 weeks after finding out she had it.

The question of whether someone's death merits a minutes silence is a very tricky one for the club, and they have to consider the precedent it sets (family members of people who were once part of the club?).  As far as I'm aware Elena had nothing at all to do with ICT (or St Johnstone for that matter) and I'm sure there are stronger cases that have been knocked back, such as prominent and longstanding supporters of the club. It would be wrong to ignore her passing altogether though and I'm sure the club will come up with something suitable.

• Agree 1

I've emailed the club with a request, not only for a minutes silence, which will also be held at the Madrid masters, but a possibility of having t-shirts made with "Rally for Bally on for the players during warm up, and the event donation site on the t-shirt too, as well as a possible half time whip round.

Whereas, quite fairly Yngwie you point out that the club cannot have a minutes silence for everyone with any connection to the club, it would be fitting that such a young person who is the child of a former player and manager of both clubs be recognised, and if anything used to raise money for the cause she herself was behind.

The justgiving site is http://www.justgiving.com/rallyforbally in case anyone would like to donate. I shall be doing so.

• Agree 2