Pre-season friendlies

caleydawson

Ok it's that time of the year again when the season is drawing to a close we have to endure a long 3 months till the new season starts again apart from the pre season friendlies. 

So who does everyone want in pre-season we already have Elgin confirmed on the 12th of July through there. Of course we will probably have the typical Clach and other Highland League friendlies but who else could we get and can we get any "glamour" friendlies at home.

Was in today's highland news that we are staying within Scotland with the possibility of two glamour home ties against English opposition.

That's good news. We'll probably have around 10 games pre-season the usual Elgin away and Clach away games as a 'rule'!

They'll all be away aside from the two home 'glamour' ties, I'd imagine.

Wouldn't be a surprise to find we also play Peterhead, Keith/Buckie/Deveronvale, Wick, Nairn/Forres, an Angus club, a North Caledonian club or amateur select from somewhere.

It may be a bit repetitive but we're the victims of our success here - and I'm glad to see it!

Who could ever have thought that no team in Scotland could be seen as a glamour tie! - But, we play them all nowadays, competitively.

The huge irony is that a pre-season with Celtic now would muster little interest with few recognisable faces on show from both sides in front of a poor crowd...but either of Caledonian or Thistle would have attracted more in the starved days of top teams coming to Inverness.

Edited by Sneckboy

With regards the glamour tie I wouldn't mind a team like Newcastle coming up to Inverness. In saying that I did enjoy the friendly a couple seasons back against Coventry.

A Premier League team would be fantastic, but it's unlikely.

I know we played 'Liverpool' in a Testimonial game - but testimonials are just 'showpieces' and besides, it was a bit of a farce with it full of a mixture of 'old boys' and youngsters in an uncompetitive environment with neither team bearing any resemblance to their proper teams.

Still, an English Championship club would still be a 'glamour' tie, no question.

I'm maybe getting carried away here, but imagine if we played Nottingham Forest! Would surpass Celtic as historically the best side we've ever met!  ( I just refuse to 'count' the "Liverpool" game!) *

Now, that I would love! There are some really big outfits in the Championship down there. I hope it does transpire and we're not left disappointed!

*Competitively Celtic are the best team we've ever played - and likely will be for some time - maybe ever?

Ok it's that time of the year again when the season is drawing to a close we have to endure a long 3 months till the new season starts again apart from the pre season friendlies. 

So who does everyone want in pre-season we already have Elgin confirmed on the 12th of July through there. Of course we will probably have the typical Clach and other Highland League friendlies but who else could we get and can we get any "glamour" friendlies at home.

Apologies on behalf of my mate George as he will be unable to attend the Hellgin game on July 12th as he will be walking with his band. He was always scared to go to Borough Briggs anyway.

• Agree 1

I think a tour de Yorkshire would be a good pre season warm up for the lads as there are a lot of teams that would provide a good test for the lads like Leeds, Huddersfield, the Sheffield sides, Doncaster, Bradford, Barnsley, Rotherham etc. Plus I live in Yorkshire and could go to then all

• Agree 1

I think a tour de Yorkshire would be a good pre season warm up for the lads as there are a lot of teams that would provide a good test for the lads like Leeds, Huddersfield, the Sheffield sides, Doncaster, Bradford, Barnsley, Rotherham etc. Plus I live in Yorkshire and could go to then all

Ossett Town and Ossett Albion would be perfect.  I could nearly stagger home from there!!

I see in that interview, Hughes wants to play as many Highland League sides as possible and playing as many as ten matches, including two home friendlies.  That and the Elgin game means that it'll be about seven games against Highland League teams.  Presumably that'll be Clach, Brora, Forres, Wick and a few others.  Personally, I'd hope Nairn are one of them.  They have a nice wee ground, a decent team from what I've seen and for some reason we haven't played them for years.  Wonder if Fort William would be an option?  That'd be a good away trip!

Also, will we ever get round to playing Inverness City?  As far as I'm aware, we've never played them in any form and they've done well at their level.  An away trip down the Bught would also be an interesting experience!

Have it on good authority that it will be Barcelona. coming across to educate their players on the inner most parts of tiki taka.

"I can't stress enough how important it is to be in possession of the football - it is better to be the matador rather than the bull"

John Hughes