The world cup!

Ayeseetee

Last night Shearer was going overboard about how good the Germans were but the scoreline is much more about how shockingly bad Brazil were rather than how good the Germans were.  The Germans played very good competent football but they never did anything exceptional.  They had two particularly good strikes for goals but by then the match was as good as won, there was little pressure from defenders and it was almost like being on the training ground. 

Had Gernany played like that against say Colombia or Costa Rica they would probably have won but only by one or two.  The fact is that Brazil's defending was woeful for each and every one of the goals.  What was really astonishing was not the utter ineptness of the defending but the lack of passion or effort.  This was a World Cup semi final which Brazil were playing in their own country and yet for 2 or 3 of the goals David Luiz, the captain for the night and key central defender, was missing upfield.  And whilst Germany patiently passed the ball around to create the opening, Luiz was walking back into position watching his team mates get pulled apart.  I can't remember seeing such deriliction of duty from a player in any match ever.  The "Special One" must be thinking he did a great bit of business selling Luiz to PSG for £40million!

He was the worst of the bunch but others were not far behind.  Part of the reason why Germany's play was so fluid was because they were never closed down.  Nobody put any pressure on the Germans and they were able to trot into space without being tracked and then they were given time to spot the next pass.  No other team in the the whole of the competition would have allowed the Germans that freedom.  Up front, Fred has been totally ineffective throughout the tournament - he has offered no movement and when he has got the ball his touch has been hopeless and he has generally lost possession straight away.  It is extraordinary how he has been allowed to start every game.  Brazil weren't just very poor - they were a disgrace.

Ironically, this astonishing result may backfire on Germany.  Whether it is Argentina or the Netherlands in the final, Germany will face a far sterner test.  And unless we see something equally extraordinary tonight, Germany will go into the final as hot favourites after their demolition of Brazil.  That will put pressure on them and they do have vulnerabilities at the back which were not exploited last night.  I think they will win but I expect the final to be pretty tight.

Before the semi-final Luiz had the best performance stats of any defender in the tournament. PSG won't use him as a centre half. Mourinho played him as a holding midfielder this season, a role which he is probably more suited to. The fact that Brazil had to employ him in his second best position says a lot about their lack of depth.

German football is definitely in the ascendency at the moment. The SPFL could learn a lot from the way they run their game.

The Germans plays a waiting game with the emphasis on defence which is fine against stoic teams who don't have great speed in their front line.

But Argentina are a team of workaholics and often very skilful on the thrust and parry. If they get thefirst goal I would not be surprised if they run up a couple more in short order. Germany will not fold,they are too good and determined and patient for that. but they could be defeated handily by this team IF Argentina can wear them down in the first half. And, of course, if the Argentinians get the first

goal then we assume that the Germans will have to come out fighting?

Oh well. All we can really hope for is a great gemme of fitba. The Gerries are toiugh and resilient and their tactics are worked out to a "T" before the match but the Argentinians are more scintillating,

more upbeat, more colorful and more exciting to watch so....... ?

Can't say I agree with much of that SP.

Germany are not a defensive side to me. They dominate every game they play and wear the opposition down.

Lahm, Ozil, Mueller, Klose, Khedira, all great players, and a fantastic keeper in Neuer.

If they were playing opponents without pace as you say, they wouldn't need to defend deep anyway.

Argentina? Apart from Messi, very unimpressed with them. Almost as bad as Brazil.

I'll be amazed if any team in the world can score a quick goal then a couple more against Germany as you suggest. I think Germany will be taking over the top rank in the world shortly.

It's a final and anybody can win it but I'd be surprised if Germany lost though DoofersDad would be delighted, or would he?

An Englishman's dream final, the Krauts and the Argies :lol:

It's a final and anybody can win it but I'd be surprised if Germany lost though DoofersDad would be delighted, or would he?

An Englishman's dream final, the Krauts and the Argies :lol:

One has to look on the bright side in life.  At least I can be assured that one of them is going to lose. :smile:

post-12-0-46717600-1405277368.jpg

Wonder if the final tonight can match the action at Ferguson Park, Rosewell today.

Here's guest player and Champions' League winner Benni McCarthy bulleting home a header for Whitehill Welfare against Hamilton Accies XI.

Final score 5-3 to the Accies.

• Agree 2

Overall, I thought it was a good tournament. I'm as guilty as anyone for 'fawning' over Messi when he's putting in his weekly superhuman efforts for Barcelona in La Liga and the Champions League - but i really don't think he should have won the Golden Ball for the best player in the competition!

The Germans will likely be a force for some time given the ages of the current crop. It's back to the bread-and-butter for them now with the Euro '16 qualifying campaign and a visit from Scotland!

We often draw the current World Cup winners in our group. We had 2010 winners Spain last time, with 2006 champions, Italy, the time before that!

• Agree 1

I agree that it has been a good tournament.  For me Messi was a huge disappointment and whilst he had the odd touch of something special, for large parts of most games - including the final - he seemed pretty disinterested and contributed little to the team.  It is illuminating to look at the FIFA stats in this regard.  In terms of distances covered most players ran over 1K every 10 minutes - even the much maligned Fred managed that.  Schweinsteiger managed 1.26K but Messi only 0.90. 

Apart from his goals he didn't contribute much.  5 of his Argentinian team mates made more passes than him and all had a better pass completion rate.  9 of the German team exceeded him in both respects.  Messi's pass completion rate was 68%.  Even Pirlo made more passes than Messi (and with a 90% completion rate) and he only played 3 games compared to Messi's 7.

Of course, Messi is renowned for his running with the ball and his shooting but he only had 8 runs into the box in his 7 games and had 22 shots on goal with only 10 on target.  The awful Fred had 9 on target in his 6 games.  Ronaldo only had 3 games but managed 23 shots on goal with 14 on target whilst chewy Louis managed 9  on target in his 2 games.

Messi's contribution has been average at best and to have him named as player of the tournament is a real kick in the teeth for the many players who are far more deserving.  Far from getting player of the tournament, Messi wouldn't even be close to my team of the tournament.  In fact, he would struggle to get into my Argentinian team of the tournament.

Well done to the Germans though.  They thoroughly deserved their victory.  Their work rate, team work and style of play was all excellent.  The only downside is their tendency to appear to be injured more than they actually are or pretending to be injured when they are the ones who committed the foul.  The otherwise excellent Thomas Mueller was chief culprit and having got Pepe sent off in the first game he was up to his old tricks again in the final.  If they could eliminate that from their game, I could get to quite like them!

Of other teams, the Dutch again thrilled but fell just short, Mexico, Costa Rica, Columbia, the USA and Algeria all provided some superb entertainment and excitement.  Most of the other teams had their moments and came with the intention to play attractive attacking football.

The competition will perhaps be remembered most for the astonishing 7-1 thrashing of the hosts Brazil but in many ways the most significant result was the thrashing the boring World and European champions Spain suffered at the hands of the Dutch and their subsequent elimination at the first stage. 

The world cup is over and the beautiful game is alive and kicking.

• Agree 5

attachicon.gifIMG_8241.jpg

Wonder if the final tonight can match the action at Ferguson Park, Rosewell today.

Here's guest player and Champions' League winner Benni McCarthy bulleting home a header for Whitehill Welfare against Hamilton Accies XI.

What were the circumstances that saw Benni McCarthy turning-out for a cameo with Whitehill Welfare? I hadn't heard about this! Great photo capture, if that was you, Mantis!

Although it was a pre-season game, it's still quite a coup - he was internationally, very well respected, in his prime. Just checked, he's still 'only' 36.

It's likely one of those bizarre scenarios that sees players of repute turn-out for an unlikely club.

Didn't Latapy have a game or two for one of Whitehill's rivals, Edinburgh City?

Then there's Brazilian legend, Socrates, playing for an obscure English non-league team. Peter Bonetti, who has a World Cup winning medal, turned out once, allegedly, for Caley - mentioned on another thread.

There are a few instances of this type of thing (Caniggio and Ravanelli at Dundee, for example) and George Best at Hibs.

Fair play to Whitehill for getting Benni McCarthy to play - even if it was a commercially driven, publicity stunt.

Dont think it would be a publicity stunt on behalf of Benni. He hates the limelight. Perhaps its the team supported by his new wife and Edinburgh lass Stacey Munro.

Ah! I didn't realise that. Makes more sense now!

DD - You got that right about Messi! Heck even Maradona is blasting it as a "marketing ploy" by FIFA due to Messi's status as an "Adidas Ambassador" and of course Adidas are major 'partners' of FIFA at the World Cup along with Emirates Airlines which also explains the flight attendants with the medals!

He looked uninterested - or perhaps blasé? - for much of the tournament and didnt even score in the knockout stages and the expression yesterday when he got the award after losing seemed to be one of embarrassment. Thomas Mueller had more goals/assists and was perhaps a candidate, but for me, I keep coming back to James Rodriguez of Colombia. 6 goals in 5 games plus 2 assists ...... but no guy called Jimmy is ever going to win the World Cup Golden Ball !!!    

• Agree 1

attachicon.gifIMG_8241.jpg

What were the circumstances that saw Benni McCarthy turning-out for a cameo with Whitehill Welfare? I hadn't heard about this! Great photo capture, if that was you, Mantis!

Although it was a pre-season game, it's still quite a coup - he was internationally, very well respected, in his prime. Just checked, he's still 'only' 36.

It's likely one of those bizarre scenarios that sees players of repute turn-out for an unlikely club.

Didn't Latapy have a game or two for one of Whitehill's rivals, Edinburgh City?

Then there's Brazilian legend, Socrates, playing for an obscure English non-league team. Peter Bonetti, who has a World Cup winning medal, turned out once, allegedly, for Caley - mentioned on another thread.

There are a few instances of this type of thing (Caniggio and Ravanelli at Dundee, for example) and George Best at Hibs.

Fair play to Whitehill for getting Benni McCarthy to play - even if it was a commercially driven, publicity stunt.Whitehill haven't got any dosh for a stunt :lol:

As Alex kind of hinted, his wife's sister is the fiancée of WW's Right back John Hall. He's been at a couple of games to watch so we finally managed to get him to play a half. It's gone pretty viral on twitter and f/b although it couldn't be confirmed till the night before so it hardly affected the crowd...

We've also had the odd visit from Christophe Berra and last summer, John Collins turned up with........Yogi Hughes :lol:

Yes, the shot came courtesy of the good ol' Mantis right index finger.

More photos at https://www.facebook.com/WhitehillWelfare and http://www.whitehillwelfare.co.uk/

Edited by TheMantis
  • Agree 1

As I watched Messi's face as he mounted the stairs and moved along in front of the top brass not only did he seem disinterested but also disenchanted....almost sullen and disgruntled that he had not been part of a winning team. At least he could have surely, as a matter of  manners, put on a brave face with at least a weak smile.

I agree with all the above remarks  about him. In fact in the finaI I watched him intently and he never made a move to tackle or dispossess players just stood off and looked at them. In short, I agree his contribution was  generally speaking in the Final very poor . Where was the inspiration and leadership to his teammates and fighting spirit there?