Average attendance

Sneckboy

We played 19 home games this season.  Just over 50% of the games kicked off at 3pm on a Saturday.

Here is how the KO times break down:

Saturday 15:00 - 10 games
Saturday 17:30 - 1 game
Sunday 12:15 - 1 game
Sunday 12:30 - 1 game
Sunday 12:45 - 2 games
Tuesday 19:45 - 1 game
Wednesday 15:00 1 game
Wednesday 19:45 - 1 game
Friday 19:45 - 1 game
Edited by RiG
  • Agree 1

It is not just midweek that cheaper tickets have been made available for. In all occasions there has been an insignificant increase in attendances and on the evidence it is a convenient excuse.

All clubs are broadly suffering from a reduction in crowds and apathy seems to be part of the problem.

The main issue I would suggest however is the preceived lack of entertainment and from speaking with people who used to attend this related to the wider experience and not just what is happening on the park. I suppose it is easier for many to get a higher quality offering via TV.

Exactly - the competition needs to be recognised and Scottish Football in general cannot compete with the quality that is available on TV. I never thought I'd say it, but the answer is summer football to avoid the competition altogether. Also, I would be kkener to go to a match on a barmy summer's evening than to freeze my cajones off in mid-February!

Yes the club have tried cost incentives for midweek games - when the children have school the next day, people working etc so I don't think that is a true reflection.

The cost of tickets need to be dropped over a period of time not just one or two midweek games at the end of the season.

Over the years the club have tried various forms of ticket discounts for games at all times.  It actually frustrates the hell out of me when the club do straight forward ticket discounting because, quite simply, it does NOT work....never has worked, not likely to change any time soon and, IMO, actually just ends up costing us money.  IMO, you could half the prices for every game and you'd struggle to put an extra 500 average on the gate.

What the club are doing...more than anyone else I can see...is making it more affordable for youngsters/families to come to games (free if you're under 12).  However they are fighting a bit of a losing battle on that one as well because it's a struggle getting adults/parents to take kids along to games.  They'd rather spend £40 on a computer game and stick them in front of the TV than spend the day taking them out to a game and spending time with them (a deeper society problem than just going to the football).

It's also become harder for schools and kids/youth organisations to take them along to games because they rely heavily on volunteers or staff.  They can't get the volunteers because there's too much red tape involved and they can't afford to be paying the staff....even when they are being offered free match tickets.

Caley Thistle is probably doing as much as it can to keep the game as affordable as it can.  Yeah, there's maybe a bit more they could be doing to improve the matchday experience as a whole (out with the 90 minutes of play) and hopefully that will (continue to) improve.

Football alone cannot fix what is a problem with society.  However, as a sport and certainly Caley Thistle as a club, do more to try and offset and improve things than any other (comparatively speaking).  e.g. I doubt there's another club in the UK that will be delivering programmes/classes in over 180 schools in the next 12 months....like we will be.

What's needed is for the community to do a bit more to support those efforts.  Not just financially by buying a season/match ticket or merchandise or whatever....but with some real investment of time and effort in championing the positive community benefits that are and can be achieved through Caley Thistle as a club and football as a sport.  It could be something as simple as taking the time to post something positive on here (or elsewhere) instead of constantly focusing on the negative. Take your child along to a game, or if you already do then encourage them to bring a friend. Next time you're at your kids school/club ask them why they don't take advantage of the free tickets on offer and encourage them to do so.  If you're involved with a group or organisation (adult or child) then suggest a day out at the football....contact the club if you do as maybe there's some deal that can be done.

I'm not having a go.  I'm just suggesting that we all stop for a moment to think about whether we can offer our assistance in regards some solutions instead of just sitting making lists of things we don't like and/or want changed.

I've said it before on here....ANYONE who thinks they or the club would benefit from a chat only need call or email and they'd be welcomed in to do so with whoever it's best for them to speak with.

• Agree 2

I genuinely think part of the reason is down to cost. A family of 4 going to the football is £46 alone for tickets before they even get there. I know kids go free if they buy season tickets but not everyone can afford to buy season tickets. Attending a football game is a luxury for many. I really don't know why they don't just make it kids go free with a paying adult for pay as you go supporters as well or even a nominal fee of say £2. Many on here disagree with the cost being the reason for low attendances and it may not be the case for everyone but I bet a lot of families out there cannot afford this.

I think cost may be an issue for some but I'm not convinced it's as big as that. I think prices compare with a trip to the cinema etc when everything is added in. The football is our leisure activity in our family so we tend to do the cinema, bowling etc rarely. I think the family section is a great deal for those with young children and there are finance packages available to spread the cost. It is a big jump in cost when they reach 12 or 16 I know but at least there are still concessions available. The club do on the day deals on a regular basis but I do know the take up is generally poor!

I really feel these numbers are down to away crowds and fixture manipulation. I will concede there probably is a drop in home fans attending as well. IMO attending football is a habit. It's easy to get out of the habit and go and do other things at the weekend unfortunately for the club. I do worry about the sustainability for the future however.

I could pay for 2 adults AND 2 kids, to go Ice Skating, on a saturday afternoon, for 2.5 hours, for about £3-4 CHEAPER thn it would cost just ONE adult to get the cheapest seat at TCS!!! 

I could take that same family of 4 to the Cinema, in the afternoon, for a pound or two more than what it would cost just me to get the cheapest seat in the house at TCS!

Football is a RIP OFF....plain and simple.

How about making season tickets more lucrative?

Season tickets can also be used for 3 Clach home games.

Season ticket holders automatically become members of the Caley Social club.

Seaason ticket holders get a discount on Ironworks gigs.

Season ticket holders get a half price meal at Kitchen on the River.

Season ticket holders get a discount on membership at Forge gym.

etc etc

A little bit of cross promotion with other local businesses could go a long way.

I'd also like to see the club have a bigger presence in the city centre. You could have a temporary stall set up in the High Street advertising fixtures and selling tickets. Most tourists could be forgiven for not even realizing Inverness has a football team.

Kenny Shiels and Jimmy Nichol used to go around the pubs in Kilmarnock trying to recruit fans and sell tickets. He might have been a mediocre manager, but our club could use that kind of enthusiasm. Rather than waiting for fans to show up, go out, take the initiative and be proactive.

Edited by AlexJones
  • Agree 1

I genuinely think part of the reason is down to cost. A family of 4 going to the football is £46 alone for tickets before they even get there. I know kids go free if they buy season tickets but not everyone can afford to buy season tickets. Attending a football game is a luxury for many. I really don't know why they don't just make it kids go free with a paying adult for pay as you go supporters as well or even a nominal fee of say £2. Many on here disagree with the cost being the reason for low attendances and it may not be the case for everyone but I bet a lot of families out there cannot afford this.

I think cost may be an issue for some but I'm not convinced it's as big as that. I think prices compare with a trip to the cinema etc when everything is added in. The football is our leisure activity in our family so we tend to do the cinema, bowling etc rarely. I think the family section is a great deal for those with young children and there are finance packages available to spread the cost. It is a big jump in cost when they reach 12 or 16 I know but at least there are still concessions available. The club do on the day deals on a regular basis but I do know the take up is generally poor!

I really feel these numbers are down to away crowds and fixture manipulation. I will concede there probably is a drop in home fans attending as well. IMO attending football is a habit. It's easy to get out of the habit and go and do other things at the weekend unfortunately for the club. I do worry about the sustainability for the future however.

I could pay for 2 adults AND 2 kids, to go Ice Skating, on a saturday afternoon, for 2.5 hours, for about £3-4 CHEAPER thn it would cost just ONE adult to get the cheapest seat at TCS!!!

I could take that same family of 4 to the Cinema, in the afternoon, for a pound or two more than what it would cost just me to get the cheapest seat in the house at TCS!

I find my season tickets much better value than cinema etc. as I said its a matter of choosing where youspend your money. I've never got a family ticket cheaper than £22 at the cinema....tho

Edited by old caley girl

Yes the club have tried cost incentives for midweek games - when the children have school the next day, people working etc so I don't think that is a true reflection.

The cost of tickets need to be dropped over a period of time not just one or two midweek games at the end of the season.

The cost can be dropped dramatically over a period of about 19 games if you want. It's called a season ticket. It'll work out at just over £12 a game for both my daughter and I to go. Outstanding value. I'm fortunate enough to able to buy it, but of course the cost can be spread up to 10 months I think.

I really feel these numbers are down to away crowds and fixture manipulation. I will concede there probably is a drop in home fans attending as well. IMO attending football is a habit. It's easy to get out of the habit and go and do other things at the weekend unfortunately for the club. I do worry about the sustainability for the future however. I could pay for 2 adults AND 2 kids, to go Ice Skating, on a saturday afternoon, for 2.5 hours, for about £3-4 CHEAPER thn it would cost just ONE adult to get the cheapest seat at TCS!!!

I find my season tickets much better value than cinema etc. as I said its a matter of choosing where youspend your money. I've never got a family ticket cheaper than £22 at the cinema....tho

£23.20 for a family of 4 on a saurday afternoon to get into the cinema. i think the cheapest ticket for ONE adult at TCS is £21

I really feel these numbers are down to away crowds and fixture manipulation. I will concede there probably is a drop in home fans attending as well. IMO attending football is a habit. It's easy to get out of the habit and go and do other things at the weekend unfortunately for the club. I do worry about the sustainability for the future however.I could pay for 2 adults AND 2 kids, to go Ice Skating, on a saturday afternoon, for 2.5 hours, for about £3-4 CHEAPER thn it would cost just ONE adult to get the cheapest seat at TCS!!!

Football is a RIP OFF....plain and simple. I find my season tickets much better value than cinema etc. as I said its a matter of choosing where youspend your money. I've never got a family ticket cheaper than £22 at the cinema....tho

£23.20 for a family of 4 on a saurday afternoon to get into the cinema. i think the cheapest ticket for ONE adult at TCS is £21

For 2 adults and 2 under 12s you'd be about £24 a game for the four of you in the family section with season tickets. So much the same really.

• Agree 1

I really feel these numbers are down to away crowds and fixture manipulation. I will concede there probably is a drop in home fans attending as well. IMO attending football is a habit. It's easy to get out of the habit and go and do other things at the weekend unfortunately for the club. I do worry about the sustainability for the future however. I could pay for 2 adults AND 2 kids, to go Ice Skating, on a saturday afternoon, for 2.5 hours, for about £3-4 CHEAPER thn it would cost just ONE adult to get the cheapest seat at TCS!!!

Football is a RIP OFF....plain and simple. I find my season tickets much better value than cinema etc. as I said its a matter of choosing where youspend your money. I've never got a family ticket cheaper than £22 at the cinema....tho £23.20 for a family of 4 on a saurday afternoon to get into the cinema. i think the cheapest ticket for ONE adult at TCS is £21

For 2 adults and 2 under 12s you'd be about £24 a game for the four of you in the family section with season tickets. So much the same really.

Not everyone has kids under 12, who would ONLY qualify for that price you quoted if the family were rich enuff to be able to fork out for two adult season tickets!!! So a fairer comparrison would be 2 x adult tickets for footie, in amily section = £32,  plus two junior tickets=£14......so all in all.....£46

If I'd bought a season ticket for 13/14, there were 4 matches straight away I wouldn't be able to attend with them being Wenesday / Friday night fixtures. Based on the matches I could have made it to, a season ticket for the north stand would have worked out at £20 per match for me. (Provided i made the journey to evey match.)

Are there any plans to introduce a book of ten tickets? Also how about dropping the price for pensioners? My old man is a staggie but sometimes he likes to come and watch the big team. He's not prepared to pay more than a fiver a match though. Are there any plans to drop the concession price for away fans? It seems to be quite a big gripe on pie and bovril with people complaining about the prices for kids to get in.

Hats off to Albion Rovers http://albionroversfc.com/?p=4874

If I'd bought a season ticket for 13/14, there were 4 matches straight away I wouldn't be able to attend with them being Wenesday / Friday night fixtures. Based on the matches I could have made it to, a season ticket for the north stand would have worked out at £20 per match for me. (Provided i made the journey to evey match.)

Are there any plans to introduce a book of ten tickets? Also how about dropping the price for pensioners? My old man is a staggie but sometimes he likes to come and watch the big team. He's not prepared to pay more than a fiver a match though. Are there any plans to drop the concession price for away fans? It seems to be quite a big gripe on pie and bovril with people complaining about the prices for kids to get in.

Hats off to Albion Rovers http://albionroversfc.com/?p=4874

I had a Dundee Utd fan on my facebook slagging off the prices ICT charged away fans kids to get into games. A littlle investigation showed ICT were not any worse than his team

Football is a RIP OFF....plain and simple. I find my season tickets much better value than cinema etc. as I said its a matter of choosing where youspend your money. I've never got a family ticket cheaper than £22 at the cinema....tho £23.20 for a family of 4 on a saurday afternoon to get into the cinema. i think the cheapest ticket for ONE adult at TCS is £21

Not everyone has kids under 12, who would ONLY qualify for that price you quoted if the family were rich enuff to be able to fork out for two adult season tickets!!! So a fairer comparrison would be 2 x adult tickets for footie, in amily section = £32,  plus two junior tickets=£14......so all in all.....£46

Without you stating how old these theoretical kids are it's not really possible to make an absolute like for like comparison. However according to Vue a family of 4 ticket price is for a minimum of 2 children and a child according to their website is a 2-12 year old, so my original comparison seems totally fair.

ETA- Forgot to mention a family ticket on a Saturday afternoon is £27.20 at the cinema, as it's a peak time, not £23.20.

http://www.myvue.com/cinemas/ticket-prices/cinema/inverness

I'm obviously looking at season tickets are they are the most financially prudent way to go to games. If you are 'rich' and bought 2 adult and 2 Jnr STs in the family section and paid them up over 10 months it's about £69 a month or about £35 a game, much cheaper than buying at the gate. If every penny's a prisoner then an uncovered family ST (1 adult & 2 jnrs) is £200 no idea how much for an extra adult, as it doesn't state that but lets say it's £100. So £300 all in for 2 kids/jnrs & 2 adults that's under £16 a game for everyone. Granted uncovered isn't ideal but if cost is the primary issue and driver and you have older kids then it's an option.

Edited by Fraz
  • Agree 1

With the exception of the U16 ticket in the family enclosure (which has conditions attaching and limited availability) then the prices for match day home and away concessions in the North/South stand are exactly the same....and better than many other grounds.

Smee, you are correct in saying that an afternoon at TCS is, on the face of it the most expensive of the three figures that you have illustrated and that's bound to be the case. However, comparing these three activities is like comparing apples and oranges - they are both fruit but they ain't the same. Others have illustrated that better than me. Football has a much higher cost base than any of the other activities you mention and therefore will need to charge more simply to pay players, keep up a stadium, provide coaching and do community work etc. etc. If you look back twenty years at comparative costs it was always thus. Football in Scotland isn't a rip off, it's a product fighting in a crowded market place for a share of that market.

It's not all about cost however, it's about making a decision that you want to go along and support your team and you are prepared to make the investment needed. It's about knowing that you have helped in whatever small way to put that team on the park and ensured that they have a park to play on. I realise that some will be unable to make that investment but the pricing structure, season ticket offers and occasional offers are all about making sure that as many can come as possible. That's all the club can do.

What would help is for every season ticket holder and every regular fan to persuade a family member, friend, colleague to come to watch the team. What would help is for Inverness to recognise that it really is a "use it or lose it" scenario with ICTFC and reciprocate support for the club. What would help is for parents to decide to take their kids along when they have a free ticket from school, just once a season. What would help is if people supported CJT in fundraising so that we can help to improve the matchday experience. The only alternative, and it's one that gets more real every year is to sell our best players to meet costs and maintain rather than improve.

Caley Thistle is a club that is probably unique in the SPFL in the access and openness of all aspects of the club to its fans. If you want to meet players and get your photo taken, it's no bother. They won't speed past you out of their training ground in a merc. If you want to speak to the manager or the chairman, pick up the phone - they are liable to answer it. If you want hospitality or to sponsor a player it won't cost a fortune. These people will go the extra mile to reward whatever support you give them. On the other hand Torville & Dean will never turn up at your kid's primary school and if you want to see them live, it'll cost an average £125 for your hypothetical family. If you want to go to the cinema and see Madonna, you know that the best you will ever do is catch a glimpse in Dornoch past the forty layers of bulky security guards that make Caly D look skinny, or if you are prepared to pay for a meet and greet, it'll cost you £1295 for a photo and one signed piece of merchandise. Each.

I know where i'd rather my money went.

• Agree 2

Without you stating how old these theoretical kids are it's not really possible to make an absolute like for like comparison. However according to Vue a family of 4 ticket price is for a minimum of 2 children and a child according to their website is a 2-12 year old, so my original comparison seems totally fair.

ETA- Forgot to mention a family ticket on a Saturday afternoon is £27.20 at the cinema, as it's a peak time, not £23.20.

I'm obviously looking at season tickets are they are the most financially prudent way to go to games. If you are 'rich' and bought 2 adult and 2 Jnr STs in the family section and paid them up over 10 months it's about £69 a month or about £35 a game, much cheaper than buying at the gate. If every penny's a prisoner then an uncovered family ST (1 adult & 2 jnrs) is £200 no idea how much for an extra adult, as it doesn't state that but lets say it's £100. So £300 all in for 2 kids/jnrs & 2 adults that's under £16 a game for everyone. Granted uncovered isn't ideal but if cost is the primary issue and driver and you have older kids then it's an option.

Im talking about a family of 4....2 adults and two kids....walking in off the street to watch an ICT game. Even if the Cinema charges £27.20 for sat afternoon movies (i have never paid that price) its still £19 cheaper than the equivalent package for 4 at an ICT game

And then, as i mentioned, a family of 4 can go skating for 2.5 hrs on a sat afternoon for near £30 cheaper than they can go to an ICT game.

I can only really put forward my case for why i think footie is way overpriced compared to other activities i could be doing on a sat afternoon. I know that from my own personal circumstance.....price is THE most important factor. That was true before....when it was just myself. I now have my youngest who likes coming along to the odd game here and there with me

Edited by SMEE

Im talking about a family of 4....2 adults and two kids....walking in off the street to watch an ICT game. Even if the Cinema charges £27.20 for sat afternoon movies (i have never paid that price) its still £19 cheaper than the equivalent package for 4 at an ICT game

And then, as i mentioned, a family of 4 can go skating for 2.5 hrs on a sat afternoon for near £30 cheaper than they can go to an ICT game.

The thing is tho Smee most families don't do the walk in off the street? Most see the value of of a ST with monthly payments for those that need to spread the payments. I suspect most that come as a one off come as part of a school group or a deal?

• Agree 1

It's time we go back to basics. How does a new club get support? Free tickets and plentiful deals throughout the season. The biggest issue is, the ICT are freaking shocking at advertising, bar a banner on the roundabout and a facebook/twitter update. I'd like to see ads on MFR, local news papers and hand outs in school for kids to take home to the parents. 

What about a match day package? Your ticket, a beverage and a pie for X amount. Are we even able to control ticket prices? I'd see the club take a loss in a season with more fans down at the park. We have 3.5k loyal fans turning up, let's get some of those on the fence over too! 

For 2 adults and 2 under 12s you'd be about £24 a game for the four of you in the family section with season tickets. So much the same really. Not everyone has kids under 12, who would ONLY qualify for that price you quoted if the family were rich enuff to be able to fork out for two adult season tickets!!! So a fairer comparrison would be 2 x adult tickets for footie, in amily section = £32,  plus two junior tickets=£14......so all in all.....£46  

I'm obviously looking at season tickets are they are the most financially prudent way to go to games. If you are 'rich' and bought 2 adult and 2 Jnr STs in the family section and paid them up over 10 months it's about £69 a month or about £35 a game, much cheaper than buying at the gate. If every penny's a prisoner then an uncovered family ST (1 adult & 2 jnrs) is £200 no idea how much for an extra adult, as it doesn't state that but lets say it's £100. So £300 all in for 2 kids/jnrs & 2 adults that's under £16 a game for everyone. Granted uncovered isn't ideal but if cost is the primary issue and driver and you have older kids then it's an option. Im talking about a family of 4....2 adults and two kids....walking in off the street to watch an ICT game. Even if the Cinema charges £27.20 for sat afternoon movies (i have never paid that price) its still £19 cheaper than the equivalent package for 4 at an ICT game

The thing is tho Smee most families don't do the walk in off the street? Most see the value of of a ST with monthly payments for those that need to spread the payments. I suspect most that come as a one off come as part of a school group or a deal?

When i referred to people walking in off the street....i was referring to peeps like myself, who cant afford/justify purchasing a season ticket, no matter all the juicy deals that are offered

I can only really put forward my case for why i think footie is way overpriced compared to other activities i could be doing on a sat afternoon. I know that from my own personal circumstance.....price is THE most important factor. That was true before....when it was just myself. I now have my youngest who likes coming along to the odd game here and there with me

My point being that if you want to go to the football regularly with kids it can actually be done very affordably. I'll be taking my daughter next season and my ST is actually cheaper than last year when I was on my tod. I'd imagine that most families that go to games do so regularly if they can, rather than seeing it as a once a year 'Landmark' type activity. Going to the football is habitual for most people who do go.

Naturally PATG will be far more expensive as it is at every club home and away. Clubs want the money at the start of the season so that they can set out their budgets and they know that once you buy your STs that you're more likely to turn up as often as you can. As someone who goes to a number of away games, tho not as many as I'd like and payed at the gate (and taken my 3 year old on occasion) I know how expensive that can be, except for Stranraer lol.

• Agree 1

and thus it is worldwide SMEE .......

I pay $190 for my season ticket for Toronto FC. For 19 games (17 MLS + 2 Canadian Championship) that works out at $10 per game. Its a ridiculously low price, is for the supporters section behind the goals, and that section is only sold as a season ticket and has no general admission. Its the cheapest tickets in the stadium but you do have to buy them about 4 months in advance of the season ... and if you ever give them up forget about getting them back again !!!  

An equivalent section, sold as both season ticket and general admission is $361 for the season or $19 per ticket. This week we play New York and single tickets for this game are sold only on Ticketmaster or as a walk-up on the day. The cheapest ticket for the game in that section is $72. TFC also sell 3 game flex packs starting at $102 for 3 games but only for "value" matches against less glamorous opposition (NY is Premium) so $34 per game for value but upgrade that to premium and the same ticket is $171 (or $57 per ticket). 

So basically, a ticket for the same seat (outside of the supporters section) can be $19, $34, $57, or $72 depending on when you buy it and how many games you commit to ....  it rewards customer loyalty and what you might call bulk buying. Incidentally, there are NO family concessions at TFC. Each seat costs what it costs based on its location, not who is occupying it !