Graeme Shinnie

Donview

What's this nonsense am currently hearing that they are only worth the value of their basic pay outstanding on their contracts is this true

Think someones telling you sh!te. Any player is worth as much as the highest bidder is willing to pay. We will have a value on a player that will be the lowest price we're prepared to let him go for. In the case of Shinnie that figure will be based on value of player + value of youth development - any clauses built into an agreement with another team. If, on the other hand, a player requests a transfer, and such is granted then perhaps thats a kind of buy out figure.

Aberdeen, on the other hand, are on record today as saying they will not be splashing out on players. Having also recently signed defenders Ash Taylor and Shaleum Logan on free's they dont look like a team that'll pay out for anyone.

What's this nonsense am currently hearing that they are only worth the value of their basic pay outstanding on their contracts is this true

It's called "The Webster Clause" after Andy Webster and it means a player can buy out the last year of his contract. I don't know how it works but it is in place and is not sh!te.

It's called "The Webster Clause" after Andy Webster and it means a player can buy out the last year of his contract. I don't know how it works but it is in place and is not sh!te.

Article 17 of FIFA regulations .... (page 16). As I understand it, the player himself could buy out his contract but Aberdeen could not. Aberdeen would also be due us compensation for several years of training given his current age and the fact he signed for us as a boy ..... 

regulationsstatusandtransfer_e.pdf

Sounds like he'll be off then.  Can't believe he thinks he'll be developing himself or his career by moving to Aberdeen.  He should go down south and move to Aberdeen if things don't work out.  He's at an age where the next step has to be a positive one, I can't believe that he'd want to move to another Scottish team that are very slightly better than the one he's at. I just can't see how that's going to benefit him.  If he moves he needs to play with better players, much better, that'll push him on to the next level.  His choice though, we'll replace him

Edited by Sir C the 3rd

The Webster Ruling is a total red herring......

For a start, the player needs to have "just cause" for breaking the contract...not seen any evidence that such a thing exists.

Secondly, the player needs to terminate his contract within 15 days of the clubs final game of the season....and we're beyond that point

In short....none of the criteria required to effect the "Webster Ruling" exist.

I think the inference that Aberdeen will use this sponsorship deal to pay transfer fees is the sort of leap that most journalists thrive on. I will be amazed if any club in the SPL pays a transfer fee this summer, outwith Celtic of course.

I still firmly believe that this whole Shinnie scenario is journalist speculation and rumour.

Another paper today says that the money from their sponsorship deal will go to repairing parts of Pittodrie and further enhancing the youth set-up.

But, also from today, an article in the Express which (with its direct quotes) seems to contradict the Dons vice-chairman's attempt to pour cold water on Aberdeen paying transfer fees.

http://www.express.co.uk/sport/football/479862/Dons-get-shirt-sponsor-windfall

There's no mention in article about paying transfer fee's. Money being made available for one or two more players could just as easily mean free transfers on decent wages or an extra couple of players in the squad.

I work with one of the youth scouts for the Dons and he's said the sponsorship money will be going to pay for the new training facilities at Balgownie. He's also saying the stadium move to Cove is still on, so it won't be a big financial spend on Pittodrie. He hasn't heard anything about a Shinnie move thankfully...

Divedee United are apparently now interested as Robertson is going to Everton. I would not want him to go to Aberdeen, but would hate him to go to the cheating, greeting, diving, moaning sad excuse of a football club.

Its silly season ... the journos are going to link the top half dozen or so players who are out of contract or who will be available to sign pre-contracts in January with every team looking to strengthen their squad .... a bit like the manager links whenever a job comes up !

I think Shinnie will go. Aberdeen are a club going places and on the up, the city's behind them and its scary what to think they will be like in a couple is seasons. He's an Aberdeen lad and playing in front of 10,000+ every home game and 40,000 seen at park head and incredible away support from Aberdeen is better than 1,000 every week up here, they also be able to offer him better wage and with Rooney, Hayes and Robson being there he'll already have friends. In the end its up to him but we there isn't much up here to persuade him to stay. Will be sad to see him go but thats football 

I think Shinnie will go. Aberdeen are a club going places and on the up, the city's behind them and its scary what to think they will be like in a couple is seasons. He's an Aberdeen lad and playing in front of 10,000+ every home game and 40,000 seen at park head and incredible away support from Aberdeen is better than 1,000 every week up here, they also be able to offer him better wage and with Rooney, Hayes and Robson being there he'll already have friends. In the end its up to him but we there isn't much up here to persuade him to stay. Will be sad to see him go but thats football 

1eye.gif

Bankrupt and scrabbling back from the lower echelons of Scottish Football?

• Agree 1

Find the notion that Aberdeen are going places quite amusing. Realistically the only way they can improve on last season is by finishing one place higher in the league.

Winning a cup and finishing in the top 3 is the best they, or pretty much any SPL club outside Celtic, can hope to achieve.

Looking at European competition the way Scottish Football is at the moment I would expect most of the SPFLs representatives to be bumped out after a couple of games. The only ones likely to go any further MAY be Celtic but more than likely they will have whimpered out by Christmas as well

• Agree 1

In the fixtures VS Aberdeen last season I saw nothing that suggested they are 'going places'. They aren't any better than ICT. If it weren't for the manager transition / ridiculous fixture congestion we probably would have finished above them. It's also worth noting that they rely heavily on aging players, whereas most of our first team (Foran apart) are in their mid 20s and are only going to get better.

Assuming Hughes doesn't do anything daft, I see no reason why we shouldn't finish above Aberdeen next season.

PS What's their debt again?

• Agree 4