Ex-ICT players' news

Sneckboy

Anyone know where George Brislen-Hall is now? There was a thread a while back saying he was at Buckhurst Hill in an Essex league far down the English pyramid. He doesn't seem to be there now and I can't track him down. Although going by Twitter he plays in the same team as celebrity Mark Wright

Thanks

ETA- turns out he plays for Wright's team Essex FC. In the Essex Business House league (level 15 in the English pyramid). Last he was playing in level 11 with Buckhurst Hill FC, so seems to have a massive drop, Arsenal -> ICT -> Buckhurst Hill -> Essex FC

Quite staggering, he always looked good in youth games too

Edited by Rival
  • Agree 1

I'm disappointed and surprised that Barry's doing so badly.

It's not that long ago that some people here wanted him to be ICT manager!

I think there's a lot more to Elgins woes than Barry can fix. Wyness and Andrews are well past it and the rest of the squad is made up of mostly youngsters released by ICT. Apart from reaching the play-offs in 11/12 under Ross Jack Elgin have been constantly at the bottom half of SFL3 / SPFL2. Perhaps they are one club who should never have left HFL.

I'm sure Barry and Graeme Bayne do all they can to coach this team but think saving them from the drop will be the proverbial mountain.

• Agree 1

Agree, Alex. Elgin should be concentrating on remaining in the league - they are in danger at present.

Who knows, East Stirlingshire may end up being even worse, as they so often are! ... But, Elgin, perhaps could do with the 'shake up' that demotion would provide. But, I also think they'd find even the Highland League more difficult than they'd expect.

They've lost to Junior and Highland League sides in recent weeks.

At least the pyramid ensures that teams are promoted on footballing ability, rather than 'fiscal models' or other such presentations!

Elgin probably weren't/aren't equipped for SPFL football at present. They really need to take a step back before moving forward again, which I don't doubt they will do.

They're still a 'big' small club, if that makes sense. 

A wealthy local sponsor would help, if they could find one. The whole commercial dept/club needs to re-evaluate and start-over. They've got tourism, woollen mills, Baxters and whisky on their doorstep with a population of 28,000+  they could be competing with the likes of Peterhead, Brechin, Forfar, Montrose and Arbroath. This consistent bottom end of the league isn't surely what they envisaged when they took the big step up? Good luck  Barry Wilson - a major job ahead!

The following is taken from SPFL website

Tuesday 11th November 2014
067_324__elgin_1415710041_standard.jpg

Elgin City meet Annan Athletic tonight in a League 2 match at Borough Briggs, aiming to move off the foot of the table.

Here are 10 things you might not know about the Moray club.

1 Elgin were elected to the senior ranks of Scottish football in 2000, alongside Highland League rivals Peterhead. Unlike the Blue Toon, Elgin have never made it out of the fourth tier.

2 Their best season since they joined the SFL came in 2011/12 under manager Ross Jack, when Elgin finished in fourth place but then lost to Albion Rovers in the play-offs.

3 Elgin have had 11 managers since joining the senior ranks, with seven permanent  appointments and four caretaker roles, including former Scotland striker John Robertson, who was in charge for one game earlier this year. The managers have been Alex Caldwell (2000–02), Harry McFadden (2002–03, caretaker), David Robertson (2003–05), Jamie McKenzie (2005–06, caretaker), Brian Irvine (2006)
Graham Tatters (2006–07, caretaker), Robbie Williamson (2007–08), David McConnachie (2008–09, caretaker), Ross Jack (2009–2014), John Robertson (2014), Barry Wilson (2014–).

4 Former Inverness Caledonian Thistle, Aberdeen and Peterhead manager Steve Paterson was in charge of Elgin in season 1989/90 when the Black and Whites won the treble of Highland League, Qualifying Cup and North of Scotland Cup.

5 Elgin had an impressive Scottish Cup run in 1959/60, when Forfar were defeated 5-1, with a home tie against Celtic being their reward. Over 11,000 fans filled Borough Briggs and Elgin almost caused a shock when Willie Grant put them ahead but Celtic grabbed two goals in the last six minutes to win through. The Glasgow side also met Elgin in 1967 and defeated them 7-0, just three months before beating Inter Milan in the European Cup final.

6 Elgin City had the tallest footballer in Britain on their books from 2010 to 2014. Six foot, 10 inch striker Paul Millar played in over 70 games and scored 15 times before leaving for Formartine United in the summer.

7 Former Scotland striker John McGinlay was transferred from Elgin City to Shrewsbury Town in 1989 for £25,000.McGinlay then went on to star for Bolton Wanderers and played in 13 internationals for Scotland. He scored four goals, including the winner in a World Cup qualifier against Sweden in 1996.

8 Manager Barry Wilson had a near 25-year playing career that started off at Ross County and saw spells at Southampton, Raith Rovers, Inverness Caledonian Thistle, Livingston, Queen of the South, Peterhead and the Borough Briggs side. Wilson scored a last-minute equaliser for Elgin against Clyde when he was their player/assistant manager, just 16 days after turning 40.

9 In 1909 Elgin moved into their second home of Station Park but during the First World War the pitch was ploughed up to grow crops. When organised football resumed, the club was homeless and, after playing at Cooper Park on a temporary basis, City moved into their current Borough Briggs ground in 1921.

10 Elgin were formed in 1883 and two years later gained membership of the Highland Football League. They marked their debut with a 7-2 win over Inverness side Citadel at Milnfield.  RC (Bob) Hamilton, scored four goals. He subsequently joined Rangers and won the first of his 11 Scotland caps in March 1899.

Craig Stewart

Read more at http://spfl.co.uk/news/article/10-things-about-elgin-city/
  • Agree 1

Quite surprised at Elgin being down the bottom. I went to their opening game of the season and they performed pretty well with Marvin Andrews getting the MOTM as a trialist. - must be his age that's playing a part.

I have to admit though, Brora vs Elgin in a play-off final would be an interesting watch.

Quite surprised at Elgin being down the bottom. I went to their opening game of the season and they performed pretty well with Marvin Andrews getting the MOTM as a trialist. - must be his age that's playing a part.

I have to admit though, Brora vs Elgin in a play-off final would be an interesting watch.

And Brora have already beaten them 3-1 in the North Cup final this season - although 8 of Elgin's team had been playing Berwick away the previous day.

I'd expect Brora to be up next season. They have already beaten the top side in the Lowland away from home this season and beat Stenny earlier. I'm confident they'd beat Elgin or whoever they are put up against for that matter

• Agree 1

I see Ben Greenhalgh came on as a substitute and provided the cross for the winning goal in Maidstone United's 2-1 win over Stevenage in the FA Cup tonight.  Steve Watt is there as well but didn't feature.  I must also point out that Maidstone's number 9 is the rather strangely named Jay May!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/29999662

Edited by Renegade
  • Agree 1