Moving to Torvean ?

Any updated on this ?

And SERIOUSLY looking from the skies would this not have been or still could be the purrfect spot for a stadium. All it needs is a wee shopping complex and Bingo.

Given that all that land is already committed to other purposes, many of them sporting and some due to be moved out if the link road ever materialises, where would you propose building a stadium within the area shown in the photo?

Money talks

In that case ICT, which doesn't actually own its current stadium or the lease for the site, would be first to admit that it is struck dumb. Given that they are having to move users out of this area, I just can't imagine any capacity to move new tenants in.

County could move in, havent they got about 10,000 fans living in Inverness.

• Agree 1

Money talks

In that case ICT, which doesn't actually own its current stadium or the lease for the site, would be first to admit that it is struck dumb. Given that they are having to move users out of this area, I just can't imagine any capacity to move new tenants in.

County could move in, havent they got about 10,000 fans living in Inverness.

I meant new tenants into the area shown on IHE's photograph which is already heavily subscribed. (But I wouldn't want to deprive you of that "touche" moment :smile: )

That is an absolutely cracking photo with the old Longman airfield (it's not THAT long since businesses were still using the old hangars) in the foreground. Then in the background there's the Waterloo Bridge (I was there in Feb 1989 when it collapsed) and the gasometer. I think there was also some sem-industrial concern near the old Baths but I don't think it's "Lord Roberts' Workshops" that I'm thinking of, nor Pickfords. You can see the smoke coming from it slightly right of centre towards the top, but I can't remember the name.

I can even see the house on Shore Street that my father was born in!

Agree, it is an amazing pic of days gone by.

Was the building you can't remember a tannery? And in front of that was maggot green which was a playground.

Had my first experience on a roundabout there

Perhaps you should keep details of your private life to yourself! :laugh:

I'm not sure about a tannery and the other problem is that it has probably been different things at different times. My recollection is around the early 60s. Bughtmaster's suggestion about the old gasworks also has me wondering, but was that not right beside the gasometer at the end of Academy Street which is about quarter of a mile away?

Or was there an even older gasworks there by the river?

I think the "skyscraper" that dougiedanger is asking about (although I'm not 100% sure where "middle top left" is) is the gasometer which used to be painted grey and had a wooden exterior.

Edited by Charles Bannerman

Was there not a power station down near the old baths at one time?  It looks like it could be not that I remember but I recall someone talking about one.

Looks like you've got it!

http://www.britainfromabove.org.uk/image/saw019891?quicktabs_image=0#comment-442007

Although not stated on this link, there was a comment somewhere in Google to the effect that there was a power station in Waterloo Place from 1905-1947 but it closed when there was some change or other to the arrangements for street lighting.

1947 is well before most people's time, apart from Scarlet, Bughtmaster, Culduthel and Jock Watt (apologies if I have overestimated anyone's age!)

Could be worse - could have built it on a feckin airfield !!

What's the big skyscraper middle top left?

Its the Bannerman residence on Shore Street

I'm not sure if the Bannerman residence on Shore Street even aspired to two stories. It was vacated in 1932 - over 20 years before this poster was born!

These old photos from IHE's album are great!  The tannery is the small chimney 2/3 up on the left, the large black hangar was latterly used by Macrae & Dick for storing new cars, I cant remember if it was demolished or built round, I will have to go and have a look now!  Where the plane is on the grass is where Malpplebeck car scrap yard was, a busy place in the late 60's and early 70's.  that also looks like railway wagons on the harbour, I remember the old rails crossing shore street to the old coal yard.  Way of topic now :wink:

My Dad had his business on Shore Street, Chas. maybe he bought the little cottage  beside the shop from your folks. Did it have a cobblestoned entrance through the front large gate and a stables behind?

You have missed out Hurdy as well . :laugh:

Scarlet... given that my grandparents moved out over 20 years before I was born, I'm not sure and they most certainly would have rented the house rather than owned it.

Chas--my last post was..well...tongue in cheek.

The cobblestones no doubt hailed from an earlier and slower age. Charles Dickens-esq.. like.

When I was a young 'un some bad men (or Superwoman) lifted up the cobbles in the front yard and buried under them to enter the stables with ill intent. However they could not get through the heavily barred entrance to the shop from the back, so nothing was stolen.

Good job for them that they didn't have a swig of the rum stored in the large,  wicker-covered glass jars in the stables, though,  because they didn't contain rum,  but sulphuric ACID!

Talking about horses here's a wee story:

My dad was a machine gun sergeant at the age of 19 (!)  in the trenches of the first world war in France. Later, when I was a small boy, I saw that he could handle horses all right and wondered why. One rainy day, Dan, the man who had a cart and horse selling vegetables  came trotting down Dunain Road. The horse slipped on the metal  grating in the middle of the street outside our house and fell. He was bleeding from cuts on his front legs but Dan was unable to get him to rise; the horse was willing enough but just couldn't  get his feet on the metal road because the cart was still harnessed to him. Poor Dan obviously was frustrated and in dire need of help. Dad saw what was going on and went out of the front door.Without hesitation he  got a tarpaulin off the cart and both managed to get it under  the horse whereupon  he grabbed the horse's head and yanked him up. My eyes were wide open at this stage since Dad was small but had muscular shoulders and arms. All the wee horse needed was an experienced hand, I suppose. 

In his dugout in Flanders field during the 1st World War Dad's buddy right next to him got a bullet through his forehead. A few inches to the right and SP would not be here. So my being here is all the fault of the German High Command of the day where troops were not properly trained to shoot straight. Or it was cold, wet, misery, fear and a bloodbath all around the shooter that skewed his aim.

Or someone in the spirit world wanted you lot to be tormented by S.P. so that you can learn to be nice to the disadvantaged.  Shock and awe!

• 2 weeks later...