THE DANCING

JIMFURD

I remember the Caley but we didn't go there too often and made the odd trip to the Strath.  Working in Ullapool in about 76-77 there was a regular bus there every weekend.  Mental journey!

I'd come to work in Inverness in about 79-80 and the places we hung out then were the Douglas with your feet sticking to the carpet, the Keppoch, another mad bus journey and the Hayloft!

often wonder what happened to some of the folk...

Back in  early/mid fifties there was a big old ' shed ' in the middle of the Dalneigh estate where dances were held. It was rock and Roll time and jiving was the order of the day.

Jock Watt's comment of bloody amateurs reminded me of this as it was frequented by a couple a little older than me who were top notch at the old jiving. If they were standing by the side of the floor and somebody else was taking some of the limelight he would often be heard to say these magic words  '' Bloody amateurs ''  then they would take to the floor and put everyone else to shame.

WAS THAT YOU JOCKWATT ???????????

Scarlet = not ashamed to say that the year of 42 was a good one for me as I greeted the world of Rosedene Nursing Home in Island bank Road. And IHE I love your pic of the Strath many great (sometime drunken) Friday nights there. Anyone remember the Irish Show bands there?

Ever been in here oldies ?

The Playhouse if I'm not mistaken. The unfortunate victim of a contrived conflagration in 1972. The film showing at the time was Le Mans. Mind you IHE, I'm surprised if you actually recognise the photo, given that it's taken from the "posh seats" in the balcony. :lol:

Ah... the days of Jimmy Nairn's Disneyland at Christmas!

• Agree 1

Jim Hurd--so called because he is the THURD oldest guy on here I think. Jock then SP then Hurdy then Bughtmaster

Correct  me if I'm wrong? Maybe Mantis is in the mix somewhere but not quite so auld as these lads I don't think.

And where IHE fits in , that I don't know. He seems to be ageless? :wink:

Didn't think you would be around in Jimmy Nairn's time C B.

Put me out of my misery IHE I vaguely remember those pillars and windows.

Oh yes! I have many memories of the Playhouse cafe at Christmas from a very early age, although I'm not maybe in the Jock Watt/ Bughtmaster/ Scarlet etc bracket. I do think though that SP is being a little bit chronologically ungenerous to Mantis who I actually believe is a little younger than I am.

Can we take it that IHE's last photo is perhaps the interior of Strathpeffer Pavilion?

• Agree 1

I got that one wrong, can't say I have ever been in there, didn't  even know there was a function room in Burnetts, loved their pies though...................... and a walnut cake would be had as a treat on special occasions.

Speaking of Burnetts my favourite fodder for overnight fishing trips used to be  Burnett's pies and then Riggs the butcher's sausages fried by the side of a loch on a thick slice of Burnett's plain bread buttered.

I don't remember Burnetts function room but in my uni days I did have a summer job at Burnetts Longman and footie games were known to be  played with certain meaty products. - usually in the middle of a night shift if memory serves me