THE DANCING

JIMFURD

Burnetts, loved their pies though

You probably wouldn't have if you had been aware of allegations that IHE and Jimmy Chisholm (Jnr) used to play football with them on the bakery floor. :crazy:

Feck me Charlie - a good memory there. Worked there with Jimmy as my Dad gave us some pocket money. Weekend mornings delivering pies and cakes to the football grounds, pubs and clubs. I can still smell that beautiful aroma of newly baked pies. And then that ******* Jimmy tried to kill William Wallace.

I knew it as the Hayloft was only in it once and never went back again! I think it was called the Gateway at one time. The Domestic Discount Stores is now Lochgorm. The lorry is a Seddon and the car is a Vauxhall Victor.

• Agree 2

Finally got one of the Best Pub EVER

Yes, the glory days of the Hayloft. Never to be forgotten, although I think they served Skol lager for a while which wasn't great.

Skol lager, the bar was swimming with it and if you stood to long in the same place you stuck to the floor!

IBM--I had a Vauxhall Viva SL 90? Do you remember that one IBM?

It did 100 MPH and it felt like 150. Scared the pants off me on that day when I travelled from Glasgow to Edinburgh with the foot glued to the floor. But I was young then---ah, such sweet memories.

I remember that the overriding feeling I experienced was---if I die today then I don't care........ WOW!

What? C'mon!  I gave you a "like" for goodness sake! :laugh:

IBM--I had a Vauxhall Viva SL 90? Do you remember that one IBM?

It did 100 MPH and it felt like 150. Scared the pants off me on that day when I travelled from Glasgow to Edinburgh with the foot glued to the floor. But I was young then---ah, such sweet memories.

I remember that the overriding feeling I experienced was---if I die today then I don't care........ WOW!

What? C'mon!  I gave you a "like" for goodness sake! :laugh:

Must have been a good tail wind!  I remember giving a work colleague who was a non driver a lift back from Edinburgh on the old A9 in my Ford Corsair reaching speeds up to 100mph.  He was terrified and asked to stop for a drink in Newtonmore.  What I didn't tell him was the speedometer was reading about 30mph to fast!

• Agree 1

Nah IHE that is not my Vauxhall Viva. It's the older version I think. Mine was sleeker    

I was cleaning it outside my  Edinbugh home one Saturday when out steps a Jehovah's Witness American lad form the house across the street. He smiles and says  in a loud shout--"You just  love that car don't you?". Now I understand what he was really saying was:

"Ha! Ha! Ha! All our cars are twice that one's size but to you, who don't know any better, it's your pride and joy, eh?"

Yep he was right. My first car in Canada was a very small  one which is now the butt of jokes by T V Comedians but the second was a Plymouth boat. OOOH you felt so good driving it , So large, safe and so comfortable.

Now I drive a 2002 Chrysler 4 Dr sedan with a 2.7 litre,DOHC V6 engine and it is a smooth ride and so easy to handle.  Place it in 3rd gear and  you just take off and go like stink. Discs on all 4 wheels. Have only done 134,000Kilometeres. the same as my wife's 1998, 1.6 EL  engine, Acura Sport which is also a  delight to drive. Excellent brakes and steering and reasonable gas consumption. A mechanic told me that he had heard of that engine doing over 400,000 Kilometres.

In North America a man's car is his reason for being alive, literally. That and NFL football and/or Ice Hockey  :smile:

Back in  early/mid fifties there was a big old ' shed ' in the middle of the Dalneigh estate where dances were held. It was rock and Roll time and jiving was the order of the day.

Jock Watt's comment of bloody amateurs reminded me of this as it was frequented by a couple a little older than me who were top notch at the old jiving. If they were standing by the side of the floor and somebody else was taking some of the limelight he would often be heard to say these magic words  '' Bloody amateurs ''  then they would take to the floor and put everyone else to shame.

WAS THAT YOU JOCKWATT ???????????

I'm sure it would have been, Bughtie!  I was the secretary of the Dalneigh Youth Club.  We ran the Friday night dances - Donnie Nelson or Davie Ross on drums. No booze, but lots of cuppas! Anybody remember Jimmy Elder? He could kick a ball with his bare feet as hard as wearing boots! Scored a few goals for Dalneigh United too! As I did!!!!

I got that one wrong, can't say I have ever been in there, didn't  even know there was a function room in Burnetts, loved their pies though...................... and a walnut cake would be had as a treat on special occasions.

Speaking of Burnetts my favourite fodder for overnight fishing trips used to be  Burnett's pies and then Riggs the butcher's sausages fried by the side of a loch on a thick slice of Burnett's plain bread buttered.

Riggs the butcher's was where Jimmy Elder (a journeyman butcher) worked.  Burnetts on a Saturday morning to buy some "floweries" - Ah!!!!!!!!

Aye Jock I remember Jimmy, as I remember he had a slight speech impediment ?

Saw him in goal once playing in a match down the Bught. I remember the moment, a bizarre but clever attempt to save a penalty, he dived to his right, left arm stretched up right arm stretched out the ball hit him full in the face and was eventually kicked clear as Jimmy sat dazed but smiling on the goal line. Didn't realise he played outfield too.

Neither do I remember him as working at Riggs but I remember well Roddy Fraser who worked there, a superb defender, played for Dixons in the Welfare league in the sixties could never understand why he was never snapped up professionally. Having said that there wasn't the money to be had in the game in these days and a safe job was always in your best interests and that could have a bearing on it.

Happy memories Jock at Dalneigh too, I recall a Dickie somebody who played in a band, may have been that drummer but don't remember Donnie  Nelson memories of these days are hazy must have been all that tea !!! 

O.K. IHE - back to cars of old. And leave the old fogies to reminisce about their days of youthful exuberance and excess.That's great--seems to have woken up Jock...... :smile:

That truck contains moose heads the owner got off his mountain cabin interior walls I think. The drink in the mouths must be Canadian"-- a fine brew. Moose are a very large animal ..Some weigh 1500 lbs and upwards. They are the cause of many a crash out there in wild country. If you hit one then you will be lucky to stay alive. Mind you so will he depending on the speed of your progress Smile.

And I see he has a pickup truck to match. Based in what my stepson bought for himself, that's a MAN's truck and no mistake, Can.$50,000 plus it costs. Probably a GMC. that's about 27,000 pounds of money.

So I asked him why he bought such a monster. He grins sheepishly and replies. "I needed it. It make me feel gooooooood."  I know the feeling Ha! Ha!

In his case, an expert auto body man , he probably did need it. He is so handy with his hands that he can literally build or repair anything., fix electrical stuff, do plumbing  etc.etc. I keep in with him....... :crazy:  :crazy:  :crazy: